DSI announces Prophet 12!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Re: DSI announces Prophet 12!

Post by bhrama » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Plus a 3k price point vs. the $600 new MS-20, tends to over shadow P12. It isn't instantly accessable to everyone, nor attainable. Add to the fact this is a vintage synth forum, where the original MS-20 is on the the Mt. Olympus of Synthdome, the hype is there.

People got all purest on the full analog bit, and forgot to use their ears. There is a forum member who is the purest of analog guys I know, and has a gear list that is borderline obsessive, who was at NAMM this year. He texted me and said he was buying it without a doubt.

I think most flagships are not for everyone, its the sailboats that the mass populace buys from the fleet.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:12 pm

bhrama wrote:Add to the fact this is a vintage synth forum, where the original MS-20 is on the the Mt. Olympus of Synthdome, the hype is there.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Man-009

Post by man-009 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:38 pm

i pre-ordered mine today at sweetwater.com. i sold 5 synths to get it!

nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

Post by nvining » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:03 pm

I preordered it as well. I think it'll be a good thing.
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Man-009

Post by man-009 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:12 pm

for me, IMHO i think only having one synth and learning to master that will work out better for myself. seems some of the other synths i had just sat there or i only used them from time to time. less is more for me!..lol. i want to learn and get the most out of one synth..and prophet 12 will be the one! i think only having one synth will challenge me to write better as well.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:45 pm

bhrama wrote:
I am in this video.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Thoe guys at DSI did a h**l of a jam.

Also, from the minutiae dept, I've never seen yellow and white 1/4" instrument cables before. Those almost look like something from a consumer Hifi system. I surely would like to have color coded ends like that. Would save me having to tape all my cables.

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
kpliver wrote:

The band that did this demo is worth checking out by the way. Made an awesome EP last year: http://www.darkentriesrecords.com/store ... ehicle-ep/
Yes--it is a great EP. They are making some very cool early German new wave sounding material and with great production.
Hey thanks for the kind words guys :-) we got more in the works for this year including a song with Pete Byrne from Naked Eyes singing on INHALT's take on Italo ;-)

Marc sorry I didn't say hello at NAMM. We walked by a bunch of times but were slammed with things we needed to do. Just wante to say that moog modular like ace :-)

As for the p12 wait for it to come out and give it a go. Its really something special. And I just bought a prophet 5 and see definite room for the 12 :-)

Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Post by Allthesound » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Really looking forward to trying out the Prophet 12!! One thing i have noticed that i havent heard mentioned yet and seems to be missing from the back of the unit they had at Namm is a poly chain port. Can we assume then that a rack / expander version is not something that will happen down the road?
I know 12 voices is more than anything Dave has offered before but being able to expand to 24 or 36 or even 48 would be very cool indeed.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:50 pm

matia wrote:As for the p12 wait for it to come out and give it a go. Its really something special. And I just bought a prophet 5 and see definite room for the 12
So your studio seems to be getting very...well...Prophetic? Heh...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:I'm just really hoping they up the wavetable count. Being able to scan through smoothly them was sorely missed on the PEK, so if they are gonna do that here, I hope they at least give a healthy number of waves to work with (not just 4, or whatever it is stated as now). This of all things should be easy to increase.
I don't really think "wavetable" and "smooth" belong in the same sentence.
If I want a smooth tone I look for a sine wave or some other primitive waveshape.
The strength of wavetables is that they can sound a lot less periodic than a simple modulated square wave or triangle.
Strangely this makes them sound both more realistic and more surreal than regular old VCOs.

PS "Smoove" is not a word. Can everyone stop saying that? It should have died when DJ's started giving up vinyl.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:28 am

calaverasgrande wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:I'm just really hoping they up the wavetable count. Being able to scan through smoothly them was sorely missed on the PEK, so if they are gonna do that here, I hope they at least give a healthy number of waves to work with (not just 4, or whatever it is stated as now). This of all things should be easy to increase.
If I want a smooth tone I look for a sine wave or some other primitive waveshape.
The strength of wavetables is that they can sound a lot less periodic than a simple modulated square wave or triangle.
Strangely this makes them sound both more realistic and more surreal than regular old VCOs.
Which wavetable synths do you have experience with? several of the ones I have used have very smooth progression of the waveforms...

PS "Smoove" is not a word. Can everyone stop saying that? It should have died when DJ's started giving up vinyl.
You do know that some DJs still use vinyl, right?

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:59 am

Ashe37 wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:
Which wavetable synths do you have experience with? several of the ones I have used have very smooth progression of the waveforms...
My point being that I think a lot of folks put too much emphasis on trying to make wavetables sound analog, while the best part about wavetable synths to me is how distinctly digital they can sound.
Nothing rips a face off like wavetables being modulated by other wavetables (with the filter wide open).
Ashe37 wrote:
You do know that some DJs still use vinyl, right?
of course some do, but not nearly as many as 10 years ago. Thats why I said "started".
I never thought DJs would accept digital playback!
BTW I used to make a living doing sound for DJs. I know a little about the subject.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:25 am

Ashe37 wrote: You do know that some DJs still use vinyl, right?
"Started giving up vinyl"

I think many of them gave up vinyl at some point but that doesn't mean everyone did.

Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Post by Allthesound » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:01 pm

Two new Prophet 12 videos from Peter Dyer. 8-)

Sweeet!!!

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.