DSI announces Prophet 12!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
schmidtc

Re: DSI announces Prophet 12!

Post by schmidtc » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:20 am

I presume the keyboard has both velocity and mono aftertouch as a source mod?

The "Quick Mod" routing sounds just like mapping a midi controller to software; it's cool to see that interface on a synth. It'd be interesting to hear this side by side with a Matrix 12. Without trying it, it's hard to get behind an "extended slop algorithm" over analog oscillators. I wish I heard it before I knew that bit. I gotta say I'm not into it's looks, but I enjoyed seeing the liquor bottle and shot glass set atop his lovely T8 in the background.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:29 am

_seph wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:DSP oscillators?

I am disappointed. for that price i might be able to find a Q+ with analog filters... :(
and why would that be a better purchase?

the Q is a great synth, don't get me wrong.. but the + just has an analog filter slapped on, not quite the same thing as the Prophet 12's fully analog signal path, which I feel justifies it price a bit better than the Q

anyway, I'm happy to see that this is something different and beyond just a supped up Prophet 08 or PolyEvolver. Well done DSI
If the waveforms are generated by DSP, then the signal path isn't quite 'fully analog'

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:55 am

From PYM ( DSI ) :

12 voices
4 Oscillators per voice capable of classic and complex waveforms
Low alias digital oscillators of several flavors: tri, saw, pulse, sine, noise and 4 wavetable based sources
Oscillator params: FM, AM, Sync, Level, Pitch (Coarse+Fine), extended slop algorithm, shape, shape mod/pulsewidth

Sub oscillator
Shape Mod/Pulsewidth control changes based on oscillator type:
Pulse and Tri - Pulsewidth control
Saw - Supersaw effect (note: not complete in NAMM units)
Noise - Pink on the left, White in the middle, Blue/Violet on the right
Wavetables - Blends between 3 different waveforms, one on the left, one in the middle, one on the right
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:36 am

I have no personal feelings invested in whether this synth is digital or analogue.

I think DSI are a company not scared to innovate, but who also listen to their user base without being compelled to produce the same synth over and over. Smaller than the Roland's and Korgs yet more than just a boutique company, they're in a unique position to build on their successes and Dave Smith producing an instrument with the name 'Prophet' doesn't seem to cause as many nervous breakdowns as Roland with their new Junos and Jupiters.

Where there was the Evolver for those of a less conventional nature, and the P08 for those in need of bread and butter analogue, in my opinion the Mopho X 4 and the Prophet 12 slightly blurs this distinction, but I doubt it inconveniences anyone.

Kudos to DSI for managing to be both successful, and good at the same time

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:43 am

Ashe37 wrote:
_seph wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:DSP oscillators?

I am disappointed. for that price i might be able to find a Q+ with analog filters... :(
and why would that be a better purchase?

the Q is a great synth, don't get me wrong.. but the + just has an analog filter slapped on, not quite the same thing as the Prophet 12's fully analog signal path, which I feel justifies it price a bit better than the Q

anyway, I'm happy to see that this is something different and beyond just a supped up Prophet 08 or PolyEvolver. Well done DSI
If the waveforms are generated by DSP, then the signal path isn't quite 'fully analog'
It's fairly obvious he's referring to the path post-osc, which in the P12 analogue filters, analogue VCA. The Q+ goes analogue filter then into an AD stage and back to DSP for the rest of the path and then a DA stage at the end. Analogue VCAs and summing can make a big difference to the character of a synth.

Regardless, the real test of this synth will come when people use it to make the sounds they're interested in, and then they can tell if it ticks the boxes for them or not. I think it looks really cool but I'm not a great keyboard player so it would be wasted on me. If they come out with a mono 3-octave version I'll be having a serious look into it though.

I think everybody should reserve the 'it sounds like s**t I'd rather play a softsynth DSP oscs are terrible' talk until after they've had a chance to play one and see what it can really do for you, or at least wait until the synth is actually finished, they've said a couple of times that the version in the videos and at NAMM isn't done yet.

I'm surprised nobody's foaming at the gash over the idea of four supersaw oscs through analogue filters.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:59 am

schmidtc wrote:I gotta say I'm not into it's looks, but I enjoyed seeing the liquor bottle and shot glass set atop his lovely T8 in the background.
It seems that Mr. Smith needed a bit of 'Dutch courage' to make that promo :) I have to say though, looking back over those two vids (ok, not exactly an in-depth analysis) I'm really quite impressed with the sonic palette the P12 provides. Kudos to Dave Smith instruments for keeping the big poly dream alive! Not quite in my price range as of now, but give me this over a Jupiter-80 any day.

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:14 pm

A couple of thoughts:

No external power supply. To me, a big deal for an expensive pro instrument.

Since the oscillators are digital, how about adding some RAM and importing user waveforms? That would be really cool.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:50 pm

stf-ran wrote:No external power supply.
You like wall warts?

stf-ran

Post by stf-ran » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:01 pm

My bandmate uses a P08 live. It's an accident waiting to happen. An instrument over $2000 should have a proper built in power supply. Just saying.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Well you should be happy.
It looks, unlike the p08, that it does have a built in power supply. The back panel shows a 3 pin kettle lead like connector next to the power switch. So not sure what your complaint is? Your posts seem contradictory.

stf-ran

Post by stf-ran » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:37 pm

I wasn't complaining, just making a note that it DIDN'T have an external power supply. Maybe I wasn't clear.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:44 pm

No problem. I got a little confused!

Jinsai
Gear: Alesis Ion
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest
Assorted basses, guitars, software
Band: Sid Luscious and The Pants

Post by Jinsai » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:12 pm

On the Evolvers, "Oscillator Slop" is a DCO parameter that can be set per-patch (range 0-5. Frankly it never did much that I could hear, even at its max setting). DSI didn't talk about how it worked, but I speculate it added some randomness to the clock used to generate the waveshape.)

I would expect that on the P12, "oscillator slop" can also be turned off or adjusted to taste.

This is the synth I've been waiting for. Nearly every thing I didn't like about the PEK has been addressed - more polyphony, more "analog", more delays, more modulation. The resonant highpass filter in particular sells it for me. Only other synth I can think of that has one of these is Jupiter-6, and I've been trying to recreate some of those tones for years.

I have no problem with digital oscillators - I've heard plenty of mediocre analog VCOs and DCOs, and plenty of really great DSP-based models (the Alesis Ion, for example).

I'm going to sell my Poly Evolver Keyboard and get a P12

Some speculation:
The Poly Evolver had user-importable waveshapes (at 16-bit, whereas the on-board were 12-bit), though it wasn't a feature DSI directly supported (you needed 3rd-party software). In my experience, VERY few users took advantage of this. That might be due to the interface, or the relatively small utility of importing custom single-cycle waves.

Given DSI's past, it's possible they may add this as a feature later,

Poly Evolver Keyboard used a nice Fataar keyboard that had velocity and mono aftertouch. I would assume they're using the same keyboard in the P12, as everyone seemed to like it.
--
"A musician is someone who's heard a lot of music" - Pierre Boulez

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Like I said in the post about the MS20, I'd rather have digital oscillators and analog everything else. Can't wait to play Jump on this.
bonne chance

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:17 am

In this NAMM video Dave Smith himself talks us through the synth and some demos. Unison sounds like fun on this beast. We have 12 voices, and 5 oscillators in each voice. 60 oscillator unison.