Monotribe CV control

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
foodeater

Re: Monotribe CV control

Post by foodeater » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:23 pm

This'll be very cool with the MiniMS20! I'd wire up a cable with 1 jack and 2 plugs. You might even be able to find some already made iPod cables because it uses trrs.

Now they just need to make version 2s of the trons that take CV and spit it out. Original does ribbon, delay does "clock" and the duo does quantization. Awesome little battery powered modular.

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:20 am

I was blown away when I read about this and immediately regretted selling mine. I really liked the little box but I never wanted to open it up (don't have the skills) nor pay for a midi kit. I had no idea that this kind of thing would have popped up. Totally a surprise!

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:25 pm

foodeater wrote:This'll be very cool with the MiniMS20! I'd wire up a cable with 1 jack and 2 plugs. You might even be able to find some already made iPod cables because it uses trrs.
I have an MS-20 Mini preordered, so I'm considering getting the Monotribe to go along with it. Can anyone here confirm that all will be required is a single cable from the MS-20 CV Out to control the Monotribe? Someone posted about needing a CV/Hz converter to link the MS-20 to the Minibrute on another thread, so I'm hoping the MS-20/Monotribe connection doesn't become as complicated.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:50 pm

With the ms-20 you'll need a special cable as with any other analog gear. No conversion box is necessary, however only the king korg seems to have a single cable operation. Others will need a not standard Y cable.
w00t

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:43 am

Thanks for the info. If you could point me toward the exact cable I'll need, that would be great as well. I want to get one of these Monotribes soon since Amazon has them on sale. I know MIDI inside out, but CV is all new to me. The only CV instrument I've had in my possession was the SH-101, but it had a MIDI jack installed. Since the MS-20 Mini has MIDI IN, CV in/out and sync in/out, I'm hoping to work both it and the Monotribe into my MIDI sequencing rig without any kind of modifications.

Mattew96
Gear: Ace Tone GT-7
Korg Monotribe
Moog Music Voyager Select
Moog Music Slim Phatty
Roland CM-32L&P
Roland D-110
Roland D-5
Roland JV-1080
Yamaha FB-01

Post by Mattew96 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:11 pm

For CV it all depends on whatever jacks you have to connect...
The general standard is two unbalanced (TS) 1/4 inch jacks, one for pitch CV and one for gate (some can use banana or 1/8 inch jacks as examples). There are different standards for the voltages and corresponding pitch (and gate response) which you normally have to be aware of, however the monotribe can be set to respond to the two main types of each appropriately, so at worst if it doesn't work at first, just toggle the setting and you're good to go!
The cable you'll be using will have to have one end with an eighth inch TRRS plug for the monotribe, and the other end with a compatible end(s) to connect to the CV output of your control keyboard. The general rule is two 1/4 inch TS plugs however, and that's the Y cable JayEm was talking about.
If you need to know more about CV, the site has a good glossary with some simple explanations, however if this is your first analog synth, the price you're going to spend on a CV control keyboard will likely be the same as (excluding the cost of the monotribe itself) just buying a new ms20 mini or minibrute. I suggest that route, and both of those will have cv outputs to control your monotribe anyways, thicken up their sound a bit :D
Grapple with reality.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305

Post by JayEm » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Yeah, i can't really point to a cable as since its not standard, it doesn't exist. Currently im unsuccessfully attempting to make one to use with my minibrute. Considering im failing hard, im probably not the best source of info :-)
w00t

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Allegedly, as a nice bonus, if have a MIDI mod fitted it will work as a CV -> MIDI converter too.

Re-Member

Post by Re-Member » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Mattew96 wrote:For CV it all depends on whatever jacks you have to connect...
The general standard is two unbalanced (TS) 1/4 inch jacks, one for pitch CV and one for gate (some can use banana or 1/8 inch jacks as examples). There are different standards for the voltages and corresponding pitch (and gate response) which you normally have to be aware of, however the monotribe can be set to respond to the two main types of each appropriately, so at worst if it doesn't work at first, just toggle the setting and you're good to go!
The cable you'll be using will have to have one end with an eighth inch TRRS plug for the monotribe, and the other end with a compatible end(s) to connect to the CV output of your control keyboard. The general rule is two 1/4 inch TS plugs however, and that's the Y cable JayEm was talking about.
If you need to know more about CV, the site has a good glossary with some simple explanations, however if this is your first analog synth, the price you're going to spend on a CV control keyboard will likely be the same as (excluding the cost of the monotribe itself) just buying a new ms20 mini or minibrute. I suggest that route, and both of those will have cv outputs to control your monotribe anyways, thicken up their sound a bit :D
Thanks for the info! The MS-20 Mini is supposed to have CV output that's the size of a headphone jack, and from what I understand, the Monotribe update toggles the SYNC IN jack (also headphone sized) into CV IN. I've owned a couple of analog synths in the past, but all were equipped with MIDI. Never really had to link things together via CV before. I know there's a MIDI mod for the Monotribe, but if buying a cable will be cheaper and not void the warranty, it'd be a better option in case I want to return it or sell it "like new" used later.

JayEm

Post by JayEm » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:57 am

Its not just cv you need to worry about, its gate as well. Cv determines the pitch, gate turns it on or off.
Thats where the special Y cable comes into play.
w00t

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:42 am

Its actually pretty slick, you feed it whatever scale you want and simply calibrate the MT accordingly by setting the octave span

I'll have break out boxes for sale this week if anyone needs one

What I am curious about is when this was all planned. Its not like the 3.5MM TRRS jack was used there accidentally..

Mattew96
Korg Monotribe
Moog Music Slim Phatty
Roland CM-32L&P
Roland D-110
Roland D-5
Roland JV-1080
Yamaha FB-01

Post by Mattew96 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:13 am

Re-Member wrote: Never really had to link things together via CV before. I know there's a MIDI mod for the Monotribe, but if buying a cable will be cheaper and not void the warranty, it'd be a better option in case I want to return it or sell it "like new" used later.
My old hesitation and new reason to midify the monotribe, exactly! Though the midi benefits would be nice. I'm pretty sure the midi kit from South America is plug and play on some unsused serial connectors inside the monotribe though... No soldering required. It's about $80.
Grapple with reality.

Mattew96
Korg Monotribe
Moog Music Slim Phatty
Roland CM-32L&P
Roland D-110
Roland D-5
Roland JV-1080
Yamaha FB-01

Post by Mattew96 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:26 am

Altitude wrote:What I am curious about is when this was all planned. Its not like the 3.5MM TRRS jack was used there accidentally..
Thank you, that video is SO helpful!!! :D
I'm getting a feeling Korg may try to expand into Eurorack territory possibly, and are maybe trying to start a new CV standard before they do, that or they are just going to release a shitton of analog or pseudo anaog gear with "genuine cv connectivity!"
Either way I'm happy, but this was definitely planned :)
Grapple with reality.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:32 pm

masstronaut wrote:Allegedly, as a nice bonus, if have a MIDI mod fitted it will work as a CV -> MIDI converter too.
That's confirmed (and crazy), you dont see many CV to midi devices out there. The fact that you can calibrate the MT to whatever CV scale you feed it makes this a no brainer though if you look through it through the eyes of a programmer.

The addition of CV is cool but I don't think it trumps the midi mod (and I'm not just saying that because I sell midi kits). What I actually find most useful about the midi is the ability to back up patterns to my sequencer and have those available whenever

GoodwillFalcon
Gear: MG-1, Monotribe(Altitude MIDI), Casio MT-100, Casio VL-1, Axiom25, Yamaha RX21.
Band: Goodwill Falcon

Post by GoodwillFalcon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Mattew96 wrote:
Re-Member wrote: Never really had to link things together via CV before. I know there's a MIDI mod for the Monotribe, but if buying a cable will be cheaper and not void the warranty, it'd be a better option in case I want to return it or sell it "like new" used later.
My old hesitation and new reason to midify the monotribe, exactly! Though the midi benefits would be nice. I'm pretty sure the midi kit from South America is plug and play on some unsused serial connectors inside the monotribe though... No soldering required. It's about $80.
Firstly, I recommend Altitude (the post above) for Monotribe midi kits, his is only 40, and its easier to install IMO. It is seriously difficult to mess it up, you just plug in one cable and its done, no knowledge required.

I actually saw adding midi as a plus for resale value, a pre-midified Monotribe has better value and desireability than a stock one as far as I'm concerned.
Last edited by GoodwillFalcon on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.