What's the most effective way to understand terminology?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: What's the most effective way to understand terminology?

Post by tekkentool » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:04 am

MatrixGravity wrote: It's really not that surprising. Three years I spent making music as a hobby, I didn't care about learning anything technical like that. Why would I waste my time on something that was purely for fun? Now that I'm taking it more seriously, now I'm trying to learn.
My advice remains the same, knuckle down and dig into it. Make a track as often as you can and be harshly critical. In response to the fun/wasting time statement.

After a while I found it impossible to have fun without it being a proper achievement, sitting down and f**k around with a bit of gear or something stopped being fun for me and my only enjoyment came from the amphetamine like selective focus you get when you're working on completing a track, when every single part of it needs to sound perfect and all neurons are firing at once for the same purpose. Achievement and progress feel better than fun ever can ever be, it's destroying your former failures and coming out of it a champion.

Music was a hobby for me all through high school too, didn't stop me from taking it deadly serious though.

MatrixGravity

Post by MatrixGravity » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 am

tekkentool wrote:
MatrixGravity wrote: It's really not that surprising. Three years I spent making music as a hobby, I didn't care about learning anything technical like that. Why would I waste my time on something that was purely for fun? Now that I'm taking it more seriously, now I'm trying to learn.
My advice remains the same, knuckle down and dig into it. Make a track as often as you can and be harshly critical. In response to the fun/wasting time statement.

After a while I found it impossible to have fun without it being a proper achievement, sitting down and f**k around with a bit of gear or something stopped being fun for me and my only enjoyment came from the amphetamine like selective focus you get when you're working on completing a track, when every single part of it needs to sound perfect and all neurons are firing at once for the same purpose. Achievement and progress feel better than fun ever can ever be, it's destroying your former failures and coming out of it a champion.

Music was a hobby for me all through high school too, didn't stop me from taking it deadly serious though.
Well I have other priorities too, you know.. I wasn't able to invest my time entirely into music and I just didn't care enough really. Everybody has different circumstances.

mute

Post by mute » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:19 am

you are the reason the magazine 'Computer Music' exists (and it also regularly features fruity loops)... buy some issues and read it like crack. they cover basics in a friendly matter in every issue. you won't find the same thing on a 'specialized' internet message board, particularly with those questions @ a place like VSE. most of the members on VSE knew what an EQ was before they were allowed to cross the street...

seriously though, you just asked what Bass was.

MatrixGravity

Post by MatrixGravity » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:23 am

mute wrote:you are the reason the magazine 'Computer Music' exists (and it also regularly features fruity loops)... buy some issues and read it like crack. they cover basics in a friendly matter in every issue. you won't find the same thing on a 'specialized' internet message board, particularly with those questions @ a place like VSE. most of the members on VSE knew what an EQ was before they were allowed to cross the street...

Yeah. I don't know how to explain what a bass is. So what? Why are people so condescending on forums??

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 am

MatrixGravity wrote:
mute wrote:you are the reason the magazine 'Computer Music' exists (and it also regularly features fruity loops)... buy some issues and read it like crack. they cover basics in a friendly matter in every issue. you won't find the same thing on a 'specialized' internet message board, particularly with those questions @ a place like VSE. most of the members on VSE knew what an EQ was before they were allowed to cross the street...

Yeah. I don't know how to explain what a bass is. So what? Why are people so condescending on forums??
We're not trying to be condescending, but really, how hard is a definition of something like bass?

"An instrument that occupies the lower ranges of sound [the audio spectrum], typically from 80-250 hz" just made that up on the spot. Or in the case of treble vs bass, bass is "the lower frequencies of the audio spectrum"

To say you know about something but can't explain it usually means you don't know it all that well. I'm not trying to be a d**k, but it just seems lazy to come here and ask for help on something that's easily looked up yourself.

MatrixGravity

Post by MatrixGravity » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 am

Kidney05 wrote:
MatrixGravity wrote:

We're not trying to be condescending, but really, how hard is a definition of something like bass?

"An instrument that occupies the lower ranges of sound [the audio spectrum], typically from 80-250 hz" just made that up on the spot. Or in the case of treble vs bass, bass is "the lower frequencies of the audio spectrum"

To say you know about something but can't explain it usually means you don't know it all that well. I'm not trying to be a d**k, but it just seems lazy to come here and ask for help on something that's easily looked up yourself.
I understand, but I have trouble understanding this type of stuff. I can read it over and over and it still doesn't really make sense. I'm only 19 what else can I say. My learning ability is not that high..

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 am

So is the question how do these things work scientifically? Or do you still not understand what the practical applications of these things are? As in do you not understand that the LFO's purpose is to make things go whoop whoop, and fm makes things go ping, ping, clang, clang. (:

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:54 am

How could you go two years "producing" music without knowing anything ? Like, you said you used VST's, so shouldn't you at least know what they are..?

I was working with a large modular when I was a few years younger than 19. Where are you from ?
bonne chance

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:02 am

19? Ok. Keep reading and rereading and it should click soon. YouTube videos might help too. Sorry to be condescending.

MatrixGravity

Post by MatrixGravity » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:19 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:How could you go two years "producing" music without knowing anything ? Like, you said you used VST's, so shouldn't you at least know what they are..?

I was working with a large modular when I was a few years younger than 19. Where are you from ?
I give up. I am off to another forum. I'm just not getting anywhere here. Good day.

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Post by Don T » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 am

Last edited by Don T on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:54 am

I can't read music & I still suck at making it :lol:
So, a crossover is a filter ? s**t dude. I thought it was some kind of power amp :oops: makes sense though since its between the output and goes to the sub, right ?
bonne chance

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:04 am

Kidney05 wrote:19? Ok. Keep reading and rereading and it should click soon. YouTube videos might help too. Sorry to be condescending.
Now this statement seems condescending :lol:

I only turned 18 a month or so ago :| :lol:

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Post by Don T » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:12 am

Last edited by Don T on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Hmm, that seemed a bit over sensitive from the OP.

Now if this was GS I'd think his posts verging on trollish, but I'm not certain here. I'm curious that he states he uses this terminology in conversation but doesn't understand it??
I find most of his list fairly easy- it's when people start discussing VCOs and DCOs that I get confused, but I've no doubt I'm not alone.