Ever been tempted to sell everything and buy a Korg Kronos?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Ever been tempted to sell everything and buy a Korg Kron

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:29 am

cgren72 wrote:
Kronik wrote:I wouldn't sell EVERYTHING I've got, but I'd buy another one at the drop of a hat If I could afford it. :D
What would you do with two that you couldn't do with one?
Play one with each hand? :ugeek:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Post by Em Pe Ge » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:09 am

this thread is still here? :roll:

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:13 am

Well, the last four posts including yours are from today, so...yea apparently it is. If you want it to die, stop posting in it? :dontknow:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Mac Moog
Gear: ARP 2600, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Mellotron 4000D, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS-10/20/700s, Kurzweil PC3K, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60/AN1x

Post by Mac Moog » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:32 am

The keys on the Kronos feel way to stiff and unusable for me. The sound was unimpressive for the price and weight. I'll pass on it.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:48 am

It is interesting to note that on the recent 25th Anniversary Tour of So by Peter Gabriel, both Gabriel and David Sancious had a Kronos. I think it's a fantastic board for the touring musician, especially someone who is performing music that requires a wide spectrum of sounds because it can do them all and it has a really cool "set list" feature that makes massive multi-patch changes a breeze.

It's not necessarily made for guys noodling around in their bedroom.

I've been looking at one if I can ever complete this prog/electronica project I'm working on and if I can actually perform it live. The Kronos would replace an acoustic piano, electric pianos, organ (though I'd probably still use my Hammond SK2 and a real Leslie), Alchemy, the Minimoog, and handle some samples and sequencing as well. It would be a great all-in-one board for re-creating complex studio arrangements.

Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Post by Allthesound » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Quad Kronos setup @ Beyonce's Super Bowl half time show

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:02 pm

And not one of them were plugged in.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Bitexion wrote:And not one of them were plugged in.
:lol: :lol:

I wonder if Korg had fixed the keybed issue along with the noisy internal fan... :read:
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

solaristica

Post by solaristica » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:43 am

Em Pe Ge wrote:this thread is still here? :roll:
And why wouldn't it be? I had a legitimate question, which I posed in a light-hearted way. Lots of people are giving interesting input, talking about their gear, and their experience with it. I suggest you do the same next time you post something.

Aaanyways, like I said, one could go boutique, and artisanal, with many different synths to get to their sound. The Kronos, of all of the all-inclusive available in the market today, is a very attractive. Sure, it's pricey, and after hearing all of you guys, yes, I have to agree, its value will most likely fall soon... so I should wait.

In the meantime, what I did to tame my lust for a dedicated FM hardware synth was to buy an FS1R.

DAMN! Will I survive its arcane interface? Right now I'm not worried, I just can't wait to get my hands on it...

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:07 pm

ninja6485 wrote:
cgren72 wrote:
Kronik wrote:I wouldn't sell EVERYTHING I've got, but I'd buy another one at the drop of a hat If I could afford it. :D
What would you do with two that you couldn't do with one?
Play one with each hand? :ugeek:
Well, that's almost right :)

Why not have two? They would take care of all my needs in a single pair of keyboards.

As powerful as the Kronos is, you can still get note dropouts if you're not careful with voice allocation.

tamla
Gear: Nord G2 Engine, Roland VariOS, custom Akai MPC2000XL, Akai S612, Korg TR-Rack, Korg Prophecy, Oakley Filtrex 2

Post by tamla » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm looking at the space side of things (as I'm really at my limit) and it's a tempting option. I would not trade everything, bit I would get rid of a large chunk as it can do what I do with ease. I have a lot of stuff from late 80s-early 90s which can easily be replaced by it (FM synthesis, Wavestation SR, Yamaha AWM2 machines, Korg Ai2 machines...). Would probably replace my Prophecy and Z1 as well, and definately replace my GEM S3 as the master controller. I could probably get rid of the TR-Rack and other Korg racks as well.
Could definately keep the Technics WSA1 as a second keyboard - plus the acoustic modelling it does is relatively unique. Lovely sounds.
All that's left is the drum machines - with space for the other drum machines I want.

However, that said, I probably would not - I like having a lot of gear instead of one or two shiny things.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:44 pm

If I sold everything I'd have maybe $75...

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:20 pm

I bought a second hand Kronos 73 for $1000. Prices are falling. I believe part of the reasons were the OS buggery (most of that has been sorted), the rh3 key beds (I didn't have that issue) and the noisy fan.

I"m not sure if all Kronos fans have a loudness problem, but my fan bugs me to the point that if i can't make it quieter so I don't notice it, I'll resell my Kronos. I'm going get a silent fan put into it and then I'll see.

To answer the OP's original question: No, get a second hand M3 instead and wait until all the bugs have been worked out and buy a 2nd hand Kronos then, maybe.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Mac Moog
Gear: ARP 2600, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Mellotron 4000D, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS-10/20/700s, Kurzweil PC3K, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60/AN1x

Post by Mac Moog » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:21 am

No. I just don't like them or their sound.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:07 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:I bought a second hand Kronos 73 for $1000. Prices are falling. I believe part of the reasons were the OS buggery (most of that has been sorted), the rh3 key beds (I didn't have that issue) and the noisy fan.

I"m not sure if all Kronos fans have a loudness problem, but my fan bugs me to the point that if i can't make it quieter so I don't notice it, I'll resell my Kronos. I'm going get a silent fan put into it and then I'll see.

To answer the OP's original question: No, get a second hand M3 instead and wait until all the bugs have been worked out and buy a 2nd hand Kronos then, maybe.
Try replacing it with a big, slow fan. I don't have one (yet) so I can't be more specific. Korg really should have looked at more SFF PC cooling designs (and heck, laptop cooling designs) when they made it...