Ever been tempted to sell everything and buy a Korg Kronos?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
solaristica

Re: Ever been tempted to sell everything and buy a Korg Kron

Post by solaristica » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:41 pm

The pianos sound fantastic, and as far as the synth engine goes, it might be one of the only synths around with a full FM engine in hardware. My fear would be to get something like that, which is truly the most deep, complex, and full-featured box around, and then see my creativity hampered, and wasting 2 years just learning how to work it...

But it is tempting as it would be a h**l of a master keyboard, it would take me away from the computer, give me that FM in hardware, plus all the other sample goodness...

But obviously, a more "artisanal" approach to making music/sounds, is perhaps "cooler"... using all the corky little boxes, the DX200s, the TG-33s, the Evolvers, the Blofelds, the Elektron stuff, the odd plug-in.

Mind you, I don't gig, I'm just sort of going mad accumulating synths in a Manhattan apartment.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Having VAs, FM and 16-track audio recorder all in the workstation is just what I want so I can ditch the computer. I've tasted a bit of that with the Motif using the sampler as a recorder and PLG cards for VA and FM.

What would have made Kronos perfect:

-- at least four XLR ins with phantom
-- multichannel USB audio (at least 8 x 4)
-- more FX inserts, with 32 tracks total there aren't enough
-- beefed up sequencer features
-- port for external touchscreen or tablet

And I'll say this again: there is still no Korg dealer local to me stocking Kronos, I have never played one. WTF :?:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

solaristica

Post by solaristica » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Those who own the Kronos here, can you chime in about the sequencer? Is it easy to use? I usually find sequencers in workstation very hard and cumbersome to handle... Also, haven't looked into it yet, but can you import your own samples into it?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:47 pm

The weighted keys are lovely. The UI is excellent for synthesis. The VA part sounds great. The samples are great. The sequencer will always be trounced by a computer running Cubase/ PT/ WHY.

Ya, the boot up time is a problem.

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:34 pm

The sequencer is pretty much the same as the old tritons, m3s, etc...Korg hasn't changed much in that regard, although I've heard some people complain about it not having some visual sequence screens like m3. If you have ever played on any korg workstation in last 10 yrs, you'll feel at home. The area to hit the buttons on touch screen is much smaller though, so it can get mildly frustrating if you have sausage fingers, like myself.

I know a lot of people hate on workstations, Ive played a ton of them, and as far as sounds go, the Kronos is heeps and bounds over anything out there. The mod7 digital synth engine, sounds incredible to my ears, and does more them emulate old synths, it takes it many steps further. With that said, the Kronos is a lot to handle and dive into, but great choice IMO. I had to sell mine because I'm unemployed, but would have kept it no doubt. If korg ever came out with a mod7 only synth, I'd be all over that. I'd recommend saving up though for it, instead of selling off all your other stuff.

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:53 pm

I wouldn't sell any of my current rig, but it is a tempting package. It does sound great. Having all those sound engines in one package would come in handy live. Not sure that I would use it much during recording though considering how I like to work and the gear I already own and know how to use.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm

No, It's not geared towards me at all. Not enough on the face and too much behind it. Plus I don't like the idea of having 1 thing that can do everything because ultimately the colour of your personal sound will be that of the Kronos.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:49 pm

Well speaking as someone who started off playing with virtual synths in my DAW then got bitten by the analog bug, h**l no. My problem with virtual "modeled" synths is that you can only ever get sounds out of it that the modeler accounted for. Most VA synths can't imitate the screaming sound you get when you patch the output to the input.
And well the cross modulation is never as pretty.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 pm

No, but I guess it depends on what "everything" is.

Just wait a couple of years and buy it used..

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 pm

Actually if it's an all in one synth you want, the Alesis Fusion is better in many ways, and stupidly cheap. Much easier UI to get into the FM and sampling on that, I thought. Great VA. And the 8 audio inputs are a cool idea... The weighted keyboard is good, but not as good as the Kronos.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:36 pm

madtheory wrote:Actually if it's an all in one synth you want, the Alesis Fusion is better in many ways, and stupidly cheap. Much easier UI to get into the FM and sampling on that, I thought. Great VA. And the 8 audio inputs are a cool idea... The weighted keyboard is good, but not as good as the Kronos.
but.....so ugly :-|

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:57 pm

honestly, I have never found any "workstation" to be much of a synth. They always seem to be very capable romplers/arrangers and any synthesis is kind of a tacked on feature. I have not played the Kronos to be fair. But my past experience is that workstations aren't even aiming for synthesists. They are gunning for the keyboardist that wants a piano, B3, Rhodes and some top 40 sounds without having to carry 3 or 4 keys to the gig.
I do know some guys that have worked in Vegas/Reno and on cruise ships playing big old beasts like this.
I don't ever see any similar workstations in the studio.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:52 am

madtheory wrote:Actually if it's an all in one synth you want, the Alesis Fusion is better in many ways, and stupidly cheap. Much easier UI to get into the FM and sampling on that, I thought. Great VA. And the 8 audio inputs are a cool idea... The weighted keyboard is good, but not as good as the Kronos.
Efx section is way inferior, though. Plus it's ot a ton of bugs, hasn't it?

solaristica

Post by solaristica » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:20 am

I know that a workstation is not needed in order to make great music. h**l, in fact, it is not needed at all to make the kind of music I like to make, which is ambient, glitchy, soundscape-y... For that a computer with plug-ins is already good enough, or a DX7 and an Eventide Space, or whatever, in the hands of capable people.

But I have to say that this unit impressed me. I should say that I have an Yamaha MOX6, and that is one of the things I would part in favor of the Korg. And I should also say that no, I'm not a professional, nor I have ambitions to become one.

But just playing with the MOX6 one of these days, I thought it was incredible that I could get so much from one keyboard, all those incredible sounds, and all the sounds I can create, which usually start with a sine wave and get messed up with.

Lusting for a hardware FM synth though took me to the Kronos. And I went to a Guitar Center and played on one for a while... It's incredible that so much fits into one box! Those things are an infinite source of sonic bliss. I freaked out at all the possibilities.

That's that. But I know that even if I let go of some of my stuff, which includes a Nord Wave, some Waldorf synths, a couple of Yamaha boards, some DSI stuff, and others, and bought that, I would sadly lust for something else an year down the line...

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:20 pm

solaristica wrote:I know that a workstation is not needed in order to make great music. For that a computer with plug-ins is already good enough
Set aside what you don't like about the Kronos and reconsider the underlying concept.

The whole point of the workstation is working without the computer. By adding audio recording and multiple engines, the Fusion and Kronos address that though they have their own set of flaws.

I only use a computer because I have to.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.