Ever been tempted to sell everything and buy a Jupiter 6?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Ever been tempted to sell everything and buy a Jupiter 6?

Post by themilford » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 pm

I'm considering it...

selling off my AX-60, Prophet 600, the Minibrute... handfull of pedals and other odds and ends would get me 2/3 of the way there.

I could save for the rest in a coupla months...

No, I'm not selling the Taurus 3... that stays.

;-)

Yes, this is sorta taking the piss on solaristica's thread. But yes, I'm asking seriously.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: Ever been tempted to sell everything and buy a Jupiter 6

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Yes. Main Drag had one and I played it for a good while and fell in love the versatility.
But I much prefer the tone of the Prophet 600 and Minibrute.

Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Post by Allthesound » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:33 pm

You would be taking a big bite out of your sonic pallet giving up all that for a J6.

I have had the p600 and the AX60 and while the P600's envelopes are a littler slower than what i would have idealy liked it sounded great! The AX60 while its sliders are very sensitive and its easy to move into real nastiness with it, to me its capable of more sonic mayhem than a Jupiter 6 even with its 1 VCO, add a S612 as your other OSC and your getting closer to a Poly Evolver territory (well sorta).
Unless you just want to bragging rights to say you have a J6 i dont think it would be a good trade off. Just my two cents.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:59 pm

No but I am tempted to sell everything except my big briar moogerfooger and the T III for a Minimoog or Voyager OldSchool.
There are just a few tones I can get on the old Mini that I can't get anywhere else but with a full on modular. And even then I would have to pick just the right modules with the perfect noise, filter and osc modules.
Even then, I am not sure it would have the same juicy sound that the mini gets when you use a hint of noise to mod the cutoff along with envelope.
Most synths that even allow you to do this sound all angry and mean. Not awesome like the mini!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:05 am

You love that Prophet.
bonne chance

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.

Post by themilford » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 am

GuyaGuy wrote:Yes. Main Drag had one and I played it for a good while and fell in love the versatility.
REALLY?!

This surprises me... I watch videos of the Jupiter 6 and they always blow me away... I'm really kinda hitting a wall with the P600... adding the CP251 recently has helped... but, I just can help but feel the JP-6 offers so much more in terms of features and sounds.

The AX-60, I love... but almost all of it features are on the JP-6 and them some.

Between the Taurus 3 and the Jupiter I feel like I would have almost everything covered... plus I have that Minimoog D I'm borrowing indefinitely to cover my mono needs.

I'm also wondering if there's something wrong with my AX-60... it seems to have this tone underneath the sound... a "ghosting" if you will... of fuzz trailing under the primary tone. I'll record an example and post.

themilford

Post by themilford » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:24 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:You love that Prophet.
Who me?

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:28 am

If this is true, I wouldn't sell the Prophet in favour of JP-6. Unless you love the JP-6 more ;) I used to own a P-600, well, two actually, at different times. I'm happier with the JP-6, but I missed the P-600 quite a bit until I got the Polaris, which has similar sonic DNA. And I still miss filter FM. I happily sold an XPander to buy a JP-6 though, so what do I know :?

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:50 am

No, that has never tempted me

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:56 am

themilford wrote:
Who me?
Was it you or GuyaGuy (yr both in bk) ? We talked about it last week... Maybe it was him, because he sold it to you & then ended up buying another. Or the other way around. The J6 is sweeeeet though. I would rather have a P600 AND J6 of course :D
bonne chance

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 am

I'd sell the T-3 first since it would be the easiest to replace in the future either with another T-3 or a Minitaur.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:03 am

themilford wrote:I'm considering it...
Even though I enjoyed an AX-60 quite alot, and personally like both it and it's bigger sister the AX-80; no opportunities to play a P600, so not something I can speak to...

But if it were me?

I'd do it with little to no equivocation.

edit: Nevermind, I'd equivocate... But it still sounds appealing to me.
Last edited by silikon on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:06 am

themilford wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:Yes. Main Drag had one and I played it for a good while and fell in love the versatility.
REALLY?!

This surprises me... I watch videos of the Jupiter 6 and they always blow me away... I'm really kinda hitting a wall with the P600... adding the CP251 recently has helped... but, I just can help but feel the JP-6 offers so much more in terms of features and sounds.

The AX-60, I love... but almost all of it features are on the JP-6 and them some.

Between the Taurus 3 and the Jupiter I feel like I would have almost everything covered... plus I have that Minimoog D I'm borrowing indefinitely to cover my mono needs.

I'm also wondering if there's something wrong with my AX-60... it seems to have this tone underneath the sound... a "ghosting" if you will... of fuzz trailing under the primary tone. I'll record an example and post.
There IS more in terms of features and sounds with the JP6. But they aren't sounds I necessarily prefer. The P600 has a rich, slightly gritty, warm but aggressive tone, whereas the JP6 tends to be be brassier and cleaner. That's great for some things but I prefer the core tone of the P600.

themilford

Post by themilford » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:38 am

Z wrote:I'd sell the T-3 first since it would be the easiest to replace in the future either with another T-3 or a Minitaur.
Wow... you know, part of me has thought it was stupid to get it... especially when the Minitaur came out a week after I ordered it. :roll:

However... I love it. And it's limited nature has me thinking I should hang onto it. But honestly, those midi foot controllers like the Fatar/Studio Logic and the Roland PK-5 just don't feel as solid. And I play the s**t out of those pedals.

As a bass player in a rock band and a Rush fan I'm kinda committed.

So, yeah. Never.
Last edited by themilford on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

solaristica

Post by solaristica » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:26 am

Do it! You could always start over again. By the way, I played that same synth that was mentioned earlier in the thread, at Main Drag (last summer I believe)... They also had a Prophet 5 at the same time (but that lasted a couple of weeks there only). THAT was really tempting...