Have Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrute?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Have Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrute?

Post by Alex E » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:20 am

-Now that Korg's announced the MS20 Mini?

I've been thinking about this for a few days. Minibrute production finally seemed to be in full swing at the very end of last year, but now they have some very serious competition coming up. I feel like everyone's focusing on the MS20 now, and people got kind of tired of waiting for the Minibrute. Thoughts?
Last edited by Alex E on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
soundcloud.com/vectron

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: Has Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrute

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:26 am

I think Korg missed their chance when they stopped making the MS-20 in 1983. Just think of the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS they could have been making selling those between then and now. But no, people had to buy DX-7s and MiniBrutes to tide them over.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Has Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrute

Post by Bitexion » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:28 am

I think <insert manufacturer> missed their chance when they stopped making the <insert vintage synth> in 198x. Just think of the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS they could have been making selling those between then and now. But no, people had to buy DX-7s and MiniBrutes to tide them over.

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Re: Have Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrut

Post by DLovas » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:00 am

GuyaGuy wrote:I think Korg missed their chance when they stopped making the MS-20 in 1983. Just think of the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS they could have been making selling those between then and now. But no, people had to buy DX-7s and MiniBrutes to tide them over.
I do agree with this. While one would argue that they were successful in aiming their products towards a more beginner type audience / tweakers (Kaossilators - MicroKorg), I think in the long run they should have stuck with full on workhorse synths like the MS-20. I'm at least glad to see them returning to the market with synths like the King Korg.

As for the OP's claim, I also agree that the MiniBrute wasn't exactly advertised as well as it could have been, and quite honestly the vibe I got was that it was a pretty rushed synth. I could be totally wrong as I've heard many good things about it - I'm just saying what I felt based purely from their advertising.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:02 am

both synths will be selling just as good its not like the MiniBrute is $2000

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:18 am

This is a pretty dumb thread though...
bonne chance

Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Post by Em Pe Ge » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:30 am

Perhaps.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:46 am

Competition in this small arena is good for people like me, because it means I can begin to afford quality instruments that have the sounds I really love. It's also good for the industry, because it will encourage innovation. Arturia didn't miss their chance--they made a bold friggin move with a very well designed instrument that made more waves (so to speak) than they anticipated. I still applaud them for the move, and I think the synth world is better off for now having two very high quality, low cost analog monosynths to choose from. These are a fraction of the price they would have been thirty five years ago. It's a great time to be into analog synths.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:59 am

on the flip side, Korg still has a chance to completely "miss the opportunity on the MS-20 Mini." :lol: it's not out yet and it's not too late to mess up on supply and production. they can still drop the ball. all it takes is a big mistake or a marketing push by another company and even the MS-20 can be completely overshadowed.

any number of companies have the ability to push even the MS-20 completely off the road in the next few months. Moog, Elektron, Nord, Roland, heck even Buchla (although it is highly unlikely).

depending on the quality of the MS-20 and how it is received by the public (as soon as they get their hands on it), it may not be a sure thing. you never know.

some other ideas that could throw off Korg:

1. Arturia to follow up with a suite of accessories to build around a complete "Minibrute system" (and ramp up production and re-marketing of the Minibrute as "better" than the MS-20), thereby stealing potential MS-20 buyers.

2. Nord to venture into hardware modular collaboration (better than MS-20 semi-modular).

3. Roland, Yamaha, or Moog to venture into eurorack (also better than MS-20 semi-modular).

4. Roland to release a single Jupiter 8 voice similar to Dark Energy or 808 series eurorack (the only thing more earth shaking than a new MS-20 is a new Jup-8 or 808).

5. Access Virus to venture into new, innovative controllers that can leverage the Virus TI series (backwards compatible).

6. Ableton Live to collaborate with a hardware company on a new, affordable product in the price range of $500 and under.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:08 am

Last edited by volumetrik on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:28 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:This is a pretty dumb thread though...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:26 am

Alex E wrote:Have Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrute?
No. They're both completely different sounding beasts, each to their own I doubt it will make that much difference.

There will always be people who buy things they think they need but don't, it's called America - F yeah! 8-)

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:27 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote: 1. Arturia to follow up with a suite of accessories to build around a complete "Minibrute system" (and ramp up production and re-marketing of the Minibrute as "better" than the MS-20), thereby stealing potential MS-20 buyers.
Thread is odd, and misguided...but I do like where you're going with this. It'd be sort of a Roland System 100 style. That would be sick.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:37 pm

I figure it this way. With the $1000 you could have spent last year on an MS-10 you can now (with discounts) buy a MiniBrute and an MS-20 Mini and have two completely different flavors of analog. To think there can only be one $500 analog at a time is missing the point.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty