Ever been tempted to sell a Jupiter 8 and buy EVERYTHING?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Ever been tempted to sell a Jupiter 8 and buy EVERYTHING?

Post by Pro5 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:40 am

Cos you could pretty much afford it with the sale price from a JP-8!

Seriously, and also not, any Jupiter 8 or ex jupiter 8 owners ever felt they had to sell it purely for the collection of 'lesser' but more varied synths they could replace it with from the £4k+ sale price? 8-)

If so what would you have in your collection in place of the JP-8? It must be actually awful to own a JP-8 as much as I'd always wanted to as I'd be continuatlly stuck in a loop of sell/no sell due to how much they are now worth vs how much I'd love to have one (at least in theory) cos they look/sound so fkin cool and all that.

Super rich folks obviously wouldn't face this problem and just buy everything they need and not care about expensive assets they have sitting there gathering dust (and true, good synths are currently an investment but can you ever see a price ceiling on the Jupiter 8 or will it keep going up and up until there's none left for sale... because no buyers left!)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: Ever been tempted to sell a Jupiter 8 and buy EVERYTHING

Post by StepLogik » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:13 pm

I sold my jp-8 last year. I occasionally have pangs of "oh s**t what have I done??" But not often. There is too much interesting new s**t coming out to dwell in the past.

I suppose I take some comfort knowing I have the means to buy another if I wanted but I just don't see that happening, there is just too much new stuff to drool over.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm starting to care less and less for the "lesser" synths these days to cashout the JP8 for. A part of me is beginning to want to get rid of the cheaper synths and keep the heavy weights..

The only thing that I ever feel I'd consider selling the jp8 for is towards something even more expensive like a synthi A or arp 2600....
‹‡›

Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Post by Allthesound » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:44 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:I'm starting to care less and less for the "lesser" synths these days to cashout the JP8 for. A part of me is beginning to want to get rid of the cheaper synths and keep the heavy weights..

The only thing that I ever feel I'd consider selling the jp8 for is towards something even more expensive like a synthi A or arp 2600....
That could start a thread of its own. I see the title being something like "Would you give up polyphony for more modulation?" :D
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Pro5 wrote:Ever been tempted to sell a Jupiter 8 and buy EVERYTHING?
I also did just that. While it's true the JP8 is one giant sweet spot, it kept getting neglected, and had some technical issues, so I put it up for sale here at VSE. It took over 3 months before a serious buyer stepped up, because I was honest about the technical issues.

With the proceeds, I bought a new quad-core PC DAW, NI Komplete 7, Ableton Live 8, an Oberheim patch-panel SEM, two Moog CP-251's, a Bellari tube/optical stereo compressor I had modified and likely a few non-musical things I can't remember.

I do miss how smooth the upper harmonics sounded and how easy it was to set up a thick-sounding dual-layer stereo sound. But those are such a small percentage of sounds you might want, that now it's more like the occasional notion of "A JP8 would be great for this" and then shrug it off and move on. If I ever absolutely needed to use one for a single track, I could make a trek to Z's house one weekend with my laptop, do a quick session and be done with it.
Also, I took multi-samples from 12 of my favorite patches from the one I sold, shortly before putting up the ad at VSE. Long 24-bit samples every 3 keys up for 5-6 octaves, most of them in unison or dual mode in stereo, so it's not like I'm left with no options.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Post by n3wt15 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:26 am

Traded my jupiter 8 last year as well, sure it was a great synth, but way over hyped. Sure it sounded great, but my Andromeda and Serge modular can do a whole h**l of a lot more and still keep a smile on my face.

Fredthehound

Post by Fredthehound » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:30 am

Since it's unlikely I'll ever be wealthy enough to own and properly maintain one, I will never really know for sure. But I look at the Jupe very much like a classic car like a 63 Vette or a Boss 429 Mustang...or another custom hot rod. Driving one is pure bliss/excitement. They can do amazing things. And the look is one of a kind. And they co$$$$t plenty to maintain. But even there are faster/more expensive/whatever cars out there, if it's what you want and what you love, who cares?

Now in an either/or scenario where professional use/touring/whatever comes into play...well, that's another ball of wax. But in quantity / Quality arguments, it all comes down to what you want to do. For me personally, the type of music I make and aspire to make, the Jupiter 8 would be it. I can get around any issues I can imagine with it's lack of 'flexability' in the DAW world and be happy as a clam. But for someone else, that might not work at all.

So I'll just sit stuck with my J8V (and the Integra7 that's on the way), and pretend while pining endlessly for the real thing ;)

gslug
Gear: Jupiter 6, Juno 106, MKS-50, DX7, TX81Z, Emulator II (dead), DPX-1, EPS 16 Plus, x0xb0x, Shruthi, TR-707, 9090, MIDIbox MB6582, MIDIbox Seq V4

Post by gslug » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:03 am

I'm tempted to sell everything except my JP-6 to buy a JP-8 and a JP-4, but half of my synths are broken at the moment and even if they were in fully working order, I'd still come up a couple of £k short.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:18 am

gslug wrote:I'm tempted to sell everything except my JP-6 to buy a JP-8 and a JP-4, but half of my synths are broken at the moment and even if they were in fully working order, I'd still come up a couple of £k short.
If all you have is in your list, you will have a looooong way to go to get both of those synths
‹‡›

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:17 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:The only thing that I ever feel I'd consider selling the jp8 for is towards something even more expensive like a synthi A or arp 2600....
That's the way I'd do it, but since I already have an ARP 2600 too, I thought about selling the ARP to buy a Fairlight CMI IIx last year.

The way I figure it, unless you just don't get on with the sound of a particular synth, keep stuff that is rare and expensive, and sell stuff that's less expensive and easier to find and buy again if you decide you want one again.

So instead of selling the JP-8 or 2600, I thought about selling my OB-8, and did sell a JX-8p, Prophet 2000, S-900, SH-101, JP-8000, TG-33, and as soon as it's fixed, a Virus KC is going too. It's only about half of what I spent on the IIx, and I've more I could sell, but I just used savings for the balance.

I have to say I have a LOT more fun with the Fairlight, so maybe I should have sold the ARP afterall!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:14 am

Thanks for taking my thread (one of very few, if any I've ever started on here) seriously. Obviously I was playing along jokingly with the current trend of "sell everything" threads that popped up here the past week or so, but switching it around and actually it has thrown up some interesting answers from POVS I can't possibly have as I've never owned one!

What I find most interesting is those who can afford to keep the super synths but also keep cheaper synths because they like them (i.e the stuff in my gear list) Makes me appreciate them even more if they are doing something for their owners who also have Jupiters and Arps etc!

I'd prefer to have as streamlined a set up as possible with as nice synths as possible - nice for the cost that is, but I'm always balancing up my musical needs against my financial ones (usually for 'spare change' to go buy other non synth tech/gear with that doesn't count as investment like synths do).

I could see me happy with say a super-digital (like the SY77) + A jupiter 8 as my only synths for sure, could do a h**l of alot with those two. As I can't get a Jupiter 8 I keep a JX-3p, Juno 2, JD-800... those 3 combined all skirt around the jupiter vibe in varying ways while not being, obviously, as cool as a JP-8 and failing to do the stuff only a JP-8 can - though of course they can do things a JP-8 can't too...

anyway, thanks!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:28 am

Solderman wrote: "A JP8 would be great for this" and then shrug it off and move on. If I ever absolutely needed to use one for a single track, I could make a trek to Z's house one weekend with my laptop, do a quick session and be done with it.
Any time, Zane.

I had a Jupe 8 in the 90s and traded it for an OB-8 with MIDI since, back then, it was best to have a bunch of MIDI instruments that you could sequence and only use one track on your 4 or 8 track machine as a sync tone. After letting go of the Jupe 8, I really fel in love with the Jupe 6. While not as huge sounding as its bigger brother, the multi-mode filter and additional features suited my needs better. It was always a pain to have to plug a MIDI cable into the JP-6's MIDI IN and OUT, power up the synth, play a note and then unplug the cable to take the synth out of OMNI mode and receive only on channel 1.

6 years ago when I got back into synths again, I scored a JP-8 with some issues at a great price. Got it fixed and even had Encore MIDI installed, but the JP-8 mainly sits on my shelf with other "reserve" synths while my Europa'd Jupe 6 gets all the attention. I'll take it down from time to time, most recently to make that 12/24 dB/oct filter demo video and a fun video with me and my little one improving on the JP-8 and CP-70.

Unless I'm faced with some financial difficulty, I don't see me selling the Jupe 8 for any other reason. Plus I got HoJo to sign one of the metal ends for me when he played Dallas HoB last year:

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:29 am

Pro5 wrote:Thanks for taking my thread (one of very few, if any I've ever started on here) seriously.
It's a good feeling isn't it? What kills this forum is the pacts people have and the harsh moderator rebukers of forum noobs. Tough to fit in around here.
‹‡›

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:18 am

I bought a jp8a about 5yrs ago paid £1025 with the dcb box its been leaning against a wardrobe ever since, they are one of a kind, but there is better out there, i would consider selling as long as its replacement is equal in rarity.
Last edited by bochelli on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
yamoto773

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:45 pm

I think this thread has got me tempted to sell everything for a jupiter 8 :lol:

But for reals, you guys who were able to get them super cheap ar elucky. I sadly dont ever see myself owning one due to the ungodly price they demand :(

Z, that signed end piece is awesome! :D