Ever been tempted to sell a Jupiter 8 and buy EVERYTHING?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: Ever been tempted to sell a Jupiter 8 and buy EVERYTHING

Post by StepLogik » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:35 pm

It is funny to see how many other JP-8 owners, former or otherwise, have theirs sitting unused. This was the problem I had and I felt quite guilty about it - "someone could be making music with this". Same with so many of my other vintage synths... they just didn't get used enough to justify keeping them around. I don't want to be a collector and run a museum :lol:

It is also interesting to see which vintage synths were regularly used versus those that sat in the closet or collected dust. When looking at this list: Prophet-5, CZ-1, Jupiter-6, Jupiter-8 and CZ-1 and deciding to keep only the CZ-1 and the ESQ because they actually got used you have to wonder if maybe you are going nuts. But, so it goes.

I'm sure at some point I'll freak out and buy the Jupiters and all the other hybrids I've long since sold off (Junos, Korg DW's, K3m, Akai AX's, etc) again but until that days comes I'll be happy as is.

Once I get the Prophet-12 it might be interesting to see if that causes another sell-off.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:51 pm

It's certainly a different time now as far as prices go now from when I got into synths. I got my first, the JX-3P, with the first paycheck from my first job. I think I paid $300 for it in 1986. Over the next few years, it was a great time to be into analog synths - I got the JP-8 for $350, a Rev 1 Prophet 5 for $325 (and it's been busted since 1992), $425 for the ARP 2600, a Minimoog for $195, and $125 for an OB-8 w/MIDI that worked perferctly except the keys. I thank the DX-7 and the D-50 for those prices.

I was very lucky, in retrospect.

But then there are several I have that I'll never sell - the JX-3P as it was my first, the D-50 as I love the sound, the JD-800 just looks cool and sound great, the S-50 since it was like a poor-man's Fairlight, The JP-8 as I love the sound, the Rev 1 P-5 as it's just so rare and when it works it sounds fantastic, the MInimoog as it's a classic, the Fairlight as it's so amazing and not like any other synth in history, and the Crumar Performer as it sounds so ethereal when you push the bass and treble up and pull the mid eq down.
Last edited by synthroom on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:53 pm

I think this happens because it really isn't such an amazing synth, but we have all these nostalgic memories of our fave 80s artists playing them and making awesome arpeggios and whatnot. But once we actually have one, we don't know what to do with it. Recreating vintage song parts gets dull pretty fast.

Some of us don't even remember living in the 80s, but we still hold this synth as a somewhat holy relic of the era.

I've also seen JP-8 owners on this forum years ago who said they mostly never used theirs, and wanted to sell it off.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:56 pm

I always found the JP-8 to be so straight forward to use, so immediate, so well layed out, and it sounds really good, and in Unison, fantastic. Those are the things that made it better than others in the day.
Last edited by synthroom on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Bitexion wrote:I think this happens because it really isn't such an amazing synth, but we have all these nostalgic memories of our fave 80s artists playing them and making awesome arpeggios and whatnot. But once we actually have one, we don't know what to do with it.
I'd venture to guess it's just that its reputation precedes it, so everyone naturally wants one, when the truth is it's like any other instrument: Not actually suited for everyone. In my case, it had its uses, and was certainly convenient for getting the more refined sounds with a generous number of presets and polyphony, but otherwise did not leave me coming back for more.

One other reason though: The JP8 is designed primarily to be used as a performance synth. I'm no performer. ;)
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Psychologically, in favour of dirt cheap synths is that you just get used to using them musically (Or selling them without a single care - no emotional connection, no worry about financial investment or price increases in future). So a little alpha Juno 2 for example becomes a 'tool' to use that you could almost take or leave, it's not 'worth' letting go for the money they fetch if you use it a lot. Even if you use something like a Jupiter 8 often, there would always be that nagging doubt "do I really need to sit on £4k of goods to get this bassline - sell this and look at all the cool toys I could buy" - that is no doubt how I'd think, and end up going even more insane that I already did over the course of my 'streamlining' and buying/selling cheaper synths to find the ones I love the sound of, the feel of and the features of.

TBH mental confusion while trying to focus on recording music isn't really good, and I've suffered with that in relation to which synths to keep/sell/buy - sometimes I feel i need to go cold turkey and just keep the SY77 and a guitar and make the best of it! :lol:

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:00 pm

Bitexion wrote:I think this happens because it really isn't such an amazing synth, but we have all these nostalgic memories of our fave 80s artists playing them and making awesome arpeggios and whatnot.
This certainly applies to me. This was exacerbated by my dad taking me to the music store on Saturdays and seeing all these amazing synths but not being able to afford them. They seemed bigger than life. While I certainly used my JP-8 (and others) plenty, I have concede some degree of nostalgia contributing to its acquisition.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:27 am

StepLogik wrote:
Bitexion wrote:I think this happens because it really isn't such an amazing synth, but we have all these nostalgic memories of our fave 80s artists playing them and making awesome arpeggios and whatnot.
This certainly applies to me. This was exacerbated by my dad taking me to the music store on Saturdays and seeing all these amazing synths but not being able to afford them. They seemed bigger than life. While I certainly used my JP-8 (and others) plenty, I have concede some degree of nostalgia contributing to its acquisition.
I grew up in the '80s, but I was a guitar player then. When I was 15, all I wanted was a damned Stratocaster, which I never bought, oddly enough. In 1990, when I was 22, I bought what was then my "dream guitar": a Jackson Fusion Pro. It looked exactly like this one:

That cost me a small fortune, over $1,000, IIRC. Then I bought a solid-state Marshall amp head and 4x12 half-stack speaker cabinet. I loved that rig!

But now that I'm a synth player, I wish I would have gone into the music stores back then and seen all those amazing '80s synths in person, when they were new and still in the shops. That would have been a nice memory today.

Because I was so fixated on guitars, I have absolutely no recollection of ever seeing a classic '80s synth brand new in a music store.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:34 am

Aaron2 wrote: I have absolutely no recollection of ever seeing a classic '80s synth brand new in a music store.
I seriously started getting into synths around '86, so the only new synths I saw at stores were JX-10, alpha Junos, DX7IIFD, which is what we were all drooling over at the time, especially when the D-50 came out! OMG, I had to go to the local shop once a week and play around on the D-50.

None of the synths I own are because of any hero worship. Granted, listening to records and knowing which synths are capable of what sounds plays a huge factor. But I didn't by synth X because so-and-so uses one. Yes, a lot of my favorite musicians did use a JP-8 back in the day, but in 1982, choices of polysynths were limited to just a handful of models. A lot of my favorite artists used a Prophet 5, but I bought one in the early 90s and didn't like it. A couple of years ago, I got a great deal on a P-10 and I never use it (i've got a local buyer for it, so it will go bye-bye once I make my "All SCI" video").

Like I said before, my JP-8 sits on a shelf while my JP-6 gets all the attention, but I know the JP-8 is there when I need it for sounds that only the JP-8 can make (extremely well).

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:56 am

I remember when the Juptier 8 came out.

My friend and I would spend lots of time at the music store playing it. Now there's a great Cuban restaurant where the music store used to be.

Now I eat Roma vieja in the same spot where I used to play the Jupe - right by the front plate glass window looking out on the street.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:17 am

Bitexion wrote:But once we actually have one, we don't know what to do with it. Recreating vintage song parts gets dull pretty fast.
I've thought about this a lot, the Prophet V is the one remaining 80's polysynth I can't logic away into uselessness yet. The sound appeals to me, the history reinforces it. It's one of the only unique poly's from that era I could lay claim to being a super capable monosynth too (dat sync). But If I'm honest the only times I'd use it would be making cheesy c**p like this.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Lift+Off/4deTkU?src=5

Either way, one day ;)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:57 am

tekkentool wrote:But If I'm honest the only times I'd use it would be making cheesy c**p like this...
Check this out if you want to see good musical use of both these beasts. 8-)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:01 am

s**t 10/10 mono and 10/10 poly in the studio. Fan.

Shame he didn't put in a recorded output version of that I would have liked to hear it not through a camera mic.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:58 pm

tekkentool wrote:But If I'm honest the only times I'd use it would be making cheesy c**p like this.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Lift+Off/4deTkU?src=5
Is this your work? Sounded great to me! :D

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:08 pm

Still cheezy c**p even if it sounds good.