Anyone here own a Yamaha Sk30

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Re: Anyone here own a Yamaha Sk30

Post by sourwookie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:31 pm

I inherited one of these about ten years ago. I put it in the basement of the rental house I was living in at the time and forgot about it because I was only really after gear with good piano and organ sounds and not so much into synths then--I had no idea what it was--and I left it there.

Now I feel sick.

Stafftunes
Gear: Jupiter 6, JX-3P, Nord Rack 2, Blofeld, TX81z,JV2080, RY30, A4000, SK30 + Misc stuff
Band: Stafftunes

Post by Stafftunes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:12 am

Hi

I'm thinking of selling my SK30, I'm based in the UK and would prefer it if it was collected, as I can testify it feels like it wieghs 400 tons when I lift it. The organ and string sections have a lovely character to them, the polysynth is great for ambient pads, and the mono synth is a destroyer of worlds, it's so huge sounding. Does an incredible evil ring modulation style sounding growl when you get the LFO oscillating near full belt...

Core part of my set up years ago (I've had it for 19 years, it was my first ever synth), but now it only gets turned on to show friends and gathers dust in a corner. It's a tough one really as I've had to sell a few things lately due to growing family.. but I don't think I'll be selling it for silly money, just sensible offers.

I need to switch it on and give it a good test, but last time I tried it, everything worked fine.

Anyway if I do definately decide I'm selling it and it all works ok I'll post in the proper part of the VSE forums later this week.

Gimme a shout here or PM me if you're interested and will keep you updated.

Staff

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:39 pm

sourwookie wrote:I inherited one of these about ten years ago. I put it in the basement of the rental house I was living in at the time and forgot about it because I was only really after gear with good piano and organ sounds and not so much into synths then--I had no idea what it was--and I left it there.

Now I feel sick.
Kind of the same feeling I had when a distant relative had just died, and his remaining family knew I was into keyboards, so they asked if I wanted the old organ they had in their livingroom. But I had no clue about what was "cool" or not to own, and I already had a rather okay Technics C-30 organ my parents had bought for me years earlier plus I was still living at my parents' house. So I turned it down.

Years passed, and I started inquiring about that organ again, if they still had it. Then I found out it was a fricking Hammond B3. And they had just GIVEN it away to a church who had later sold it on. I was ashamed.

Stafftunes
Gear: Jupiter 6, JX-3P, Nord Rack 2, Blofeld, TX81z,JV2080, RY30, A4000, SK30 + Misc stuff
Band: Stafftunes

Post by Stafftunes » Thu May 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Fired it up this evening. Ahhh it's like an old friend. Forgotten how much character and warmth it has. I've decided I'm going to hang onto in the meantime. Such lovely sound.

Floss

Post by Floss » Mon May 27, 2013 10:25 am

anyone wanna buy my Sk 30?

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Mon May 27, 2013 12:45 pm

Floss wrote:anyone wanna buy my Sk 30?
Wanna trade for my SK-50D? Anyway I thought you loved it...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Floss

Post by Floss » Tue May 28, 2013 4:48 am

I do love it, I wanna get the smaller one like i said on the first page. It's awesome to have, but space is an issue. Nope. 50 is in the wrong direction, im shooting for the 15. You could sell your 50, and buy my 30. That would be the smart move IF you were serious.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Tue May 28, 2013 10:07 am

You would be pretty disappointed with the SK15 I think. The 30 and 50D are the only ones with both the polysynth and solo synth sections. I had a 20 and the 50D is much better. And I've had a 30/50D trade post on here for a while so yes I'm serious about that...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Floss

Post by Floss » Wed May 29, 2013 7:52 am

Hmm thanks for the advice. You got any sliders for that Juno yet? ;)

If your up for getting cash and buying my sk30. Let me know

sammy123
Gear: Sk50D, MS2kr, DarkStar, Shruthi (3), Anushri, Meeblip, Ambika, 12U Eurorack, PreenFM, Poly61, DSS-1, DW-8k, Kawai K-3, ESQ-1, Maybe a Polaris soon...

Post by sammy123 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:16 pm

I am still trying to figure out if my sk50D is hz/volt or v/oct. Anyone know for sure?