what to keep, filterbank vs nord g1?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

what to keep, filterbank vs nord g1?

Post by novielo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:48 pm

I got to shrink my studio. going from a house to an apartment in a near future.
So I got this idea:
I have to fit my stuff in a rubbermaid basket the big one. everything else got to go.

so far, in there. mixer, mpc1000, kaoss pad mkiii, 1-2 mic, bla auteur, bla sparrow (ADC)...
I could fit the filterbank OR the nord g1 keyboard with laptop and monitor in there.
both about the same value if sold.

which on e would you pick and why?
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

kvnvk

Re: what to keep, filterbank vs nord g1?

Post by kvnvk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:34 am

I've actually been in a similar situation with owning both a Nord G1 and Sherman Filterbank and turning over the idea of selling one or the other at various times. eventually sold the Filterbank while I still have the Nord. for me it came down to being able to get more out of the Nord Modular compared to the Filterbank sound wise. the G1 is just capable of so much more variety (at least for my purposes), now of course it's never going to sound analog but I have a couple other filters (Warp 9, MFC-42, LAL Cyber Psychic) which I actually prefer to the Sherman.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:13 am

novielo wrote:I got to shrink my studio. going from a house to an apartment in a near future.
So I got this idea:
I have to fit my stuff in a rubbermaid basket the big one. everything else got to go.

so far, in there. mixer, mpc1000, kaoss pad mkiii, 1-2 mic, bla auteur, bla sparrow (ADC)...
I could fit the filterbank OR the nord g1 keyboard with laptop and monitor in there.
both about the same value if sold.

which on e would you pick and why?
I'm kind of perplexed that you can't answer this yourself. Do you want a very flexible digital synth with keys or an analogue filter unit? Without the Nord you're not going to have any synths in your basket, is that what you want?

novielo
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff

Post by novielo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:40 am

stag, stap, STAB!! lol
I don't really use keys. I do sample a lot of my work and process it with the mpc and the kaosspad. My last show was only with the mpc, kaosspas and the soundcraft mixer. great result music wise, fast to setup, efficient and in a small footprint.

-the filterbank is super agressive, which I love.
-The nord is super versatile, lot of outputs, 4 sound slots available at the same time. great on its on. great for effects too. BUT, the damn computer that you have to hook up to it!

I'm using my computer or lcd screen almost all day long. (i'm a photographer and doing a formation as a photo retoucher in may, I already retouch all my pictures). My eyes are my living. So I would like to use other senses in my hobby :lol:
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:25 am

you may already be aware of it but if not you can edit the Nord from the panel even without assigning anything to the controllers by using the edit, shift and navigation buttons, which is usually what I've had to do the last couple of years after the computer I was using with it died. of course you obviously won't have access to the virtual cable connections but I'm fairly sure most if not all of a patch's individual module parameters are accessible. anyway, just pointing out that editing doesn't always require it to be connected to a computer, only for cable patching, switching out modules or building a patch from scratch. although it does kind of sound as though you're leaning toward dumping the G1, I can definitely understand, I don't get much joy out of computer editors either

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 am

I have a Nord Micromodular, which is basically the NM1 in a small red box with a few knobs on. I thought I'd be using it like crazy, all the possibilities, ENDLESS sound madness!!! But it feels like I'm just dragging patch cables in a VST instrument that happens to play through a red box. Just an extra box that I don't really need to have lying around.
I ended up downloading zip files with hundreds of nord modular patches from the net and just trying them out like presets on any other synth, without tweaking much.

Sure it's nice to disconnect it from the computer and just noodle around with "modular presets", but there's not enough knobs on it to do much other than change filter cutoff or other single parameters.

If you don't use the G1 much, I'd get rid of it. No point leaving a synth around because you COULD use it for something awesome, some time. But don't.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Personally I'd kick the G1, nothing there I can't find in software.

If you don't want to use a computer though.

Kick both and buy an analogue 4 I guess?

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:01 am

tekkentool wrote: Kick both and buy an analogue 4 I guess?
that's an idea I'd probably consider.

novielo

Post by novielo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm actually leaning on the nord. I don't know exactly why.
Maybe for its versatility? The sherman is a great addition to any studio, I think. But if i want to destroy a sample, I still have a wmd geiger counter, distortion pedals and a boss vf-1. Plus, I could process it thru the nord.
As for the computer editing, I'll make the patch when I'm bored, so I can use my 'presets' when i'm making music.
My biggest concern, is the form factor. But hey! I can't have everything.
And if I sell the sherman I'll have more money for it then the nord g1.

But I'm still debating, I don't want to make the move in a hurry or based on impulsiveness.