Trying to Find a Modern synth that does all this

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iainnitro
Gear: Macintosh MacBook Pro (2012) with 16mb RAM/500GB Hard drive, Arturia V Collection, Pro Tools 11, Akai Max 49 MIDI Controller, Focusrite 6i6 interface.

Trying to Find a Modern synth that does all this

Post by iainnitro » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:17 am

Greetings:

I have been on the sidelines looking to buy a synthesizer and came up with a few sounds I want to make sure I have plus it would be nice to have modern bells and whistles like aftertouch and I am loosing the word right now, but pressure sensitivity. I would love to just buy all the vintage synths that would give the sounds, but that is definitely not in my budget :-)

So i am hoping to find a synth can do all the sounds I am wanting from the following lines:

AArp Axe
Oberheim OBx1
Roland D50
Roland Jupiter
Roland Juno
Alesis Andromeda A6
Yamaha DX-7
Mini Moog
EMU Emax II

I was lookin into a Yamaha Motif XS6 and also have looked at Korg Kronos and Roland Fantom G6's to start with and just now heard of an Access Virus TI2, but I am not real impressed with the Kronos or the Access at the moment... so the question for everyone here, given that I would like to get the sounds of the synths mentioned above, which modern machine can do this for me, if any?

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Re: Trying to Find a Modern synth that does all this

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:31 am

I don't know that any instrument can emulate completely (or to your satisfaction) all of the instruments you list. I mean, that's a pretty tall order! But if that's your goal, I would suggest something like the Roland Jupiter-80. Hey, it's $3,500, but it's probably the closest thing you'll find to the "it-has-to-do-everything" synth that you describe.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:01 am

I think you should do a lot more reading at the following website before you go any further ...

www.vintagesynth.com/fourm

Once you read more thoroughly, I think youll have a better idea of what to ask and what youre looking for

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:20 am

If you have a MIDI keyboard, download the Arturia soft synth demos. They don't sound like the real synths but it can help you decide which one you want. There isn't one synthesizer that can sound like all of those.

What sounds do you want? All of those synths have a lot of different sounds, so just saying "Moog sound" won't tell us much. How much can you spend? Do you need a polyphonic synth for pads or monophonic for bass, leads, and fx?

Joshy

Post by Joshy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:29 am

With such a tall order will come a big price tag as well. Modern VA's can cover a really wide range of sounds, but there is no "perfect" synth out there. That's one reason why people often have a couple (or a lot) of synths in their collection.

I'm not sure if I could recommend anything to you, but I hope you find what you are looking for in your first synth.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:17 am

I think your best bet for the broadest possible pallette in a hardware synth, would be Korg Kronos.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:46 am

Kronos.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:47 pm

John Bowen Solaris

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Z wrote:John Bowen Solaris
+1
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:16 pm

Best bet in a hardware synth is a kronos.

Best bet if you don't require the unit to be self contained in a nice controller and a lot of VST's as the kind of insane flexibility you require is few and far between in hardware.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:18 pm

silikon wrote:
Z wrote:John Bowen Solaris
+1
+2

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm a very satisfied Kronos owner :)

It amuses me when I see people refer to it as an overpriced romper :lol:

Other than the rompler/sampler, 2 x Grand Pianos, Physically Modelled EP's, DX engine, CX/BX Clone and String Synthesis, there are 3 analogue synth engines in the Kronos...

The AL-1 engine is the best VA I've had, very little aliasing going on there. I believe the 24dB filter is modelled on the Curtis chips found in the Prophet 5 (someone at the Korg forums did a side by side comparison with +ve results), you have the option of rolling off the resonance at low frequencies ala Moog. The 12dB filters are remarkably close to the ARP Odyssey MKI/Oberheim SEM - the downside is that they don't self oscillate (personally, that doesn't bother me anyway... never used it in my old gear, not going to start now).

Although the AL-1 only has 2 osc's + sub, you can layer another copy of the engine in a single program for 4 osc's + 2 subs... see where I'm going here? It sounds big, and more importantly it DOES sound analogue, and the osc sync is second to none!

You've also got the Poly 6 (SSM based VCF) and MS20 (Korg's early OTA VCF) engines, again you can have two copies in each program or indeed mix and match.

I've read that some people have spent a few minutes with it in a music store and have completely dismissed it... a few minutes won't get you anywhere other than poking around the presets! It's an incredibly deep keyboard... I've had mine for just over a year, and I'm still learning new tricks.

I have no allegiance to ANY keyboard manufacturer, nor am I a "Fanboy" :roll: of any of them. The Kronos (for me) does all I need it to... I just haven't got round to flogging off all my old stuff yet ;)
Last edited by Broadwave on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iainnitro
Gear: Macintosh MacBook Pro (2012) with 16mb RAM/500GB Hard drive, Arturia V Collection, Pro Tools 11, Akai Max 49 MIDI Controller, Focusrite 6i6 interface.

Post by iainnitro » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Thank-you all for the replies and ideas, was exactly what I was looking for. The Kronos may be the way to go and all the synths I have scoped out are about $3k to $4k, so the suggestions are well within that price range. The John Bowen Solaris looks interesting too, but it doesn't look like I can go test it out first before buying, that really is my only issue with that particular synth. Obviously, you folks that own one like it though.

If I was to buy vintage, the two machines I would likely buy are the Andromeda and Jupiter, but I think finding a good working Andromeda is getting harder and you can certainly break the $4k budget right there. If I could get like 3 vintage synths in the 4k range, then i might go that way instead, but space, wife and money state that one is going to be the answer :-)

BTW: This is not my first synth, though the last one I owned was my Aarp Axe which I unfortunately sold many years ago for only $300, it had been through a flood and did not work, but they seem to be worth A LOT today. I might have had her fixed had I known then what I know now -- ahh hindsight. I also have owned a Korg Poly 6 but did not find it did enough for me, though it was a cool instrument in it's own right.

I digress, anyhow, appreciate the suggestions and will now do more looking into the Kronos and others.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:47 pm

iainnitro wrote:all the synths I have scoped out are about $3k to $4k
Buy an Arp Odyssey and a Juno 106. You should be able to find an Odyssey for about $1,500 and a Juno for less than $1,000. If you can spend an extra $1,000, you could buy a Minimoog instead of an Odyssey.