What the h**l is going on with Prodigy prices?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: What the h**l is going on with Prodigy prices?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:23 am

I would rather have a one oscillator Micromoog than a Prodigy. It is a limited synth that is overhyped.
If prices are rising, it's because of perceived status and little else.
Don't fall prey.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:37 am

Alex E wrote:
philip wrote:
Alex E wrote:$800 is alright for a prodigy, but for $750 you can get a used LP.
LP and other new moogs is completely defferent story, different tone.
May be true, but they're still comparable.
I'd rather have a Prodigy than any of the Phattys.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:53 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I would rather have a one oscillator Micromoog than a Prodigy. It is a limited synth that is overhyped.
Don't fall prey.
Since you have a lot more experience with synths than I do (and probably more than most other people on this forum), can you explain why the Prodigy is more limited and overhyped than the Micromoog? Wouldn't two oscillators be more useful than one? Or are you talking about the price difference? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:01 am

xanadu97 wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:I would rather have a one oscillator Micromoog than a Prodigy. It is a limited synth that is overhyped.
Don't fall prey.
Since you have a lot more experience with synths than I do (and probably more than most other people on this forum), can you explain why the Prodigy is more limited and overhyped than the Micromoog? Wouldn't two oscillators be more useful than one? Or are you talking about the price difference? Sorry if it's a stupid question.
It's actually a good question.
Two oscillators are awesome because they afford you a lot more timbral options than a single oscillator. Except in the case where those two oscillators have limited waveforms and do not have variable waveshape, and especially when there isn't waveshape modulation. The Micromoog is incredible and unique in that it has these things... which lead to some truly amazing timbres. Since it has a sub oscillator, you're covered for octaves. While you can't do detuning or intervals, you do have incredible timbral options. You also have some really fantastic filter modulation by the oscillator. And more. You have tremendous modulation options. And, both the oscillators AND the filter are overdriven, resulting in a richer "fatter" sound. Multiple filter settings... like switchable self-oscillation. The ability to sweep the oscillator through its full range. The Micromoog has a HUGE amount of options that the Prodigy lacks. At the point where the Micromoog was made, they were still trying to give people options which were more modular-like. By the time the Prodigy was made, they were just trying to give rock musicians musical tones.
So, yeah... the Prodigy can do interval tuning and detuning... but beyond that, the Micromoog blows it away.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

philip

Post by philip » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:31 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
xanadu97 wrote:
Don't fall prey.
Two oscillators are awesome because they afford you a lot more timbral options than a single oscillator. Except in the case where those two oscillators have limited waveforms and do not have variable waveshape, and especially when there isn't waveshape modulation. The Micromoog is incredible and unique in that it has these things... which lead to some truly amazing timbres. Since it has a sub oscillator, you're covered for octaves. While you can't do detuning or intervals, you do have incredible timbral options. You also have some really fantastic filter modulation by the oscillator. And more. You have tremendous modulation options. And, both the oscillators AND the filter are overdriven, resulting in a richer "fatter" sound. Multiple filter settings... like switchable self-oscillation. The ability to sweep the oscillator through its full range. The Micromoog has a HUGE amount of options that the Prodigy lacks. At the point where the Micromoog was made, they were still trying to give people options which were more modular-like. By the time the Prodigy was made, they were just trying to give rock musicians musical tones.
So, yeah... the Prodigy can do interval tuning and detuning... but beyond that, the Micromoog blows it away.
People buying (small) Moogs not mostly because of their modulation capabilities, there are some better options in this area, but people buying moogs because of its fat bass and leads, and here, Prodigy with its two osc just blows away Micromoog.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:39 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:So, yeah... the Prodigy can do interval tuning and detuning... but beyond that, the Micromoog blows it away.
And oscillator sync. And I've always liked the basic sound of Prodigy (and Rogue, and Source) better than the Micromoog. I can understand why some prefer the Micro though.

- CM

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:57 am

The prodigy i find is fine but simple, when new at £249 it was a entry level moog , they look good even today , the micromoog to me is a little more serious synth so i try to look upon the prodigy for what it is, if there are going to be prices reaching further then its very simple its selling on the name and the huge moog on the back is almost impossible to not see on any online listing, the Roland sh101 is starting to break free from its normal price now and i dare say the prodigy will too because in time the prodigy along with the rogue may well be the only old synths by moog available to buy, the more new moog products will add to that reality.
yamoto773

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm very satisfied with the Prodigy. It is limited in an inspiring way, and it is really good at what is does. I haven't played the Micromoog, but I like the bass sounds Thomas Dolby made with it.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:43 pm

If prices are rising, it's because of perceived status and little else. [...]
Not sure whether "sound" and "closest to original Mini Moog in terms of performance" would count as valid assets.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:44 pm

philip wrote:People buying (small) Moogs not mostly because of their modulation capabilities, there are some better options in this area, but people buying moogs because of its fat bass and leads, and here, Prodigy with its two osc just blows away Micromoog.
The fattest basses often employ a single oscillator. Phasing often damages fatness. Detuning is not fatness. I know there is a large contingent of people who think it is, but that is not where the term originates.
In addition to that, like I said, the oscillator and filter are overdriven. This adds saturation which lies at the heart of fatness. As for bass, with the sub oscillator, the extreme tunability, and the saturation... you just can't get a better bass in the cheaper-model 70s Moogs.

I need to buy another Micromoog just to show you people what I'm talking about. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Yes, and you definately should make a series of at LEAST 5 videos to explain everything. They're good entertainment AND educational too. And your voice is soothing in the cold winter nights of Norway.

And when you're done with it, send it to me.

philip

Post by philip » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Bitexion wrote: And your voice is soothing in the cold winter nights of Norway.And when you're done with it, send it to me.

:? :lol:

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
xanadu97 wrote:
Don't fall prey.
ill just go ahead and copy this into my micro appreciation thread :mrgreen:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:35 am

Bitexion wrote:Yes, and you definately should make a series of at LEAST 5 videos to explain everything. They're good entertainment AND educational too. And your voice is soothing in the cold winter nights of Norway.

And when you're done with it, send it to me.
You're on to me, Bits. :)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:21 am

I'm sorry I love old moog gear, but in my experience it is all in need of costly maintenance and rare parts.
I'd rather have a studio full of recent Moogs that WORK than a studio with 1 moog that works and several that are in the shop.

The Prodigy, should be $700 tops. Rogue and MG1 should be about $350.
I have seen people asking $700 or more for an Opus 3. I'm apoligize, but that is c**p synth that barely qualifies as a synth and wasnt even designed by Rob Moog! Its is only useful for making intentionally cheesy music. $300 if it is in perfect condition with all "voices" working.
Kinda blows forus folks that have been chasing after analog synths for decades only to see the prices blow up for no good reason.
I'm sorry not every piece of gear is an 808 or 303. And even those are WAY overrated (though I wouldnt kick an 808 out of bed for eating crackers).
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave