Micromoog appreciation thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Micromoog appreciation thread

Post by c-level » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Dying with excitement for my Micromoog to finished being restored so I thought we should praise it in the meantime?

What have your experiences been with them (and with the Multimoog!)

And I have a few questions, will the new school Moogerfooger Exp Pedal work with the Micro? Also does anyone have any of the accessories in the manual? IE the sample and hold controller?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Micromoog appreciation thread

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:22 pm

The Micromoog is probably my second favorite Moog synthesizer.
I sold mine years ago (to afford a Minimoog), and I fully intend to have another. There is simply nothing like them.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.

Post by c-level » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The Micromoog is probably my second favorite Moog synthesizer.
I sold mine years ago (to afford a Minimoog), and I fully intend to have another. There is simply nothing like them.
i was sold on getting a lil/slim phatty, till i came across this one needing work. it has competing features but way more of a vibe! im a bit baffled as to why there are two 'off' on the Mod Dest, when one of those might be better used routing to the waveshape! also ive never used a synth with osc>freq mod so excited for that!

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:26 pm

It's my second favorite Moog as well.

A guy in one of my projects plays one. I borrowed his for a couple of weeks and couldn't keep my hands off of it.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:05 am

The Micromoog does what it does best , offer simple core electronics, easy to use small neat once used by Kraftwerk and on that little to say its a cracker.
yamoto773

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:24 am

I'm in love with my micromoog, it can create an amazing array of sounds, especially strange lead and bass tones. I haven't bothered with that mod that apparently gives it more bass as I don't find it's lacking in the first place. Mine needs new key bushings so is a little clunky though I still find it the easiest to 'shred' on out of all my monos.

It's really versatile for making percussion samples with too.

The moog expression pedal should work fine with it, it also plays very nicely with a cp-251 and other moogerfoogers. I've had many a fun soirée with the cp251, ring mod low pass and phaser.

Grumblepig
Gear: Prophet 6, Korg MS-10/MS-20m, Doepfer DE, SC Pro-One, CZ-1000, Wurli 200, Roland R8/CR5000/TR-707, Boss DR110, Micromoog, Juno 6, X-Station
Band: Three Minute Tease

Post by Grumblepig » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:50 am

I loved mine dearly, and honestly can't remember why I got rid of it, other than it was what I likely traded for my second Pro One. Amazing sound, and as stated above, serious vibe. It jumps out of all my old recordings, no question which synth it is in the mix. I miss it and feel both sentimental and stupid writing about it here! I mean, I sold my rev.2 Prophet for parts because I couldn't afford the $400 in needed repairs, but these days I'd sell blood and a limb or two to cover such a small cost. The Micro and the P5 are now on the Great Regrets list.

Here (assuming this link still works) is one of my teenage tracks called "Go!" with a nice little MicroMoog solo in the middle. There's also a whiny, descending line throughout the verses that was done on the Micro as well. Please bear with the terrible teen vocals and urgent Ultravox wannabe attitude!

http://www.myspace.com/music/player?sid=7934926&ac=now

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:55 am

I was just watching a Slim Phatty demo and then I see this single oscillator "budget synth" and it sounds 10 times better. Why can't Moog make a simple 2 VCO analog synth with no digital preset c**p for around $400? Now that Korg has a $600 MS-20, they have no excuse.

Sorry for the unnecessary rant :oops:

c-level

Post by c-level » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:22 am

monolith wrote: The moog expression pedal should work fine with it, it also plays very nicely with a cp-251 and other moogerfoogers. I've had many a fun soirée with the cp251, ring mod low pass and phaser.
looking into this! but the moog is my only CV friendly piece of gear ATM?

also wondering about how the classic moog feedback trick works and if it will work with the micro?

also please tell me whats up with these accessories!

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 am

Another micromoog owner/fan here. Sent mine in for a complete overhaul by Mike Bucki about a decade ago ... took 'em forever, but it's been rock solid since. Funny that micro prices have barely budged in the past 10 years as well too. Just do NOT understand that.

Also own a multimoog that I'll be lucky to actually get back from the repair shop someday :cry: ... the two moogs have never played together, but I have an S-cord all ready to go when they finally meet.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:24 am

First favorite Moog: Voyager
Second favorite Moog: Memorymoog
Third favorite Moog: Little Phatty / Source (duel to the death, have at ye)

That said, you'll be hard pressed to find a vintage anything with the possibilities it has at the price you can still find one for. I own it's larger and slightly a*s-heavy sister, and am happy to say that it's the business. Programming is dead simple, vibe is authentic Moog character. Ring mod. Proper fun.

Be sure you use the external filter in to your advantage.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:20 pm

An other µ-Moog user here. From all the monosynths I got over the past 10 years, it's the only one I've kept. It can either be fuzzy, retro, spaced-out, fat, filthy, thin or plain odd; very organic and alive. I like its beautiful non-screaming resonnance. With a Kenton box, I have an extra vibrato and more filter modulation options.
I only whish I could be able to produce 3rd and 5th melodies with it.

An_Ending

Post by An_Ending » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm

The micromoog was the first synthesizer I ever played 10 years ago. They had one with 2 broken keys and a broken ribbon at the guitar store in my town, and I'd go there as often as I could just to play it until the store would ask me to leave/stop playing. I remember it being way more than I could afford as a high school student (and way cheaper than it is now), and I did not understand synthesis at all at that time, but I wanted it so much. I still aim to own it someday just because of the nostalgia I have for that experience.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:10 am

I can't say it's my favourite, but then, I only got an opportunity to play one once. I liked it, I just didn't get a chance to fiddle around with it enough.
You can't synthesize love

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:06 am

The only Moog I've ever had (would have liked more, but ...)

I did this with a Micromoog:
http://www.soundcloud.com/mach4/where-would-we-be

I appreciate it a fair bit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.