Micromoog appreciation thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Re: Micromoog appreciation thread

Post by Scories » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:29 pm

mpa1104 wrote:The only Moog I've ever had (would have liked more, but ...)

I did this with a Micromoog:
http://www.soundcloud.com/mach4/where-would-we-be

I appreciate it a fair bit
The middle section in waltz time (starting around 2:50) really hit a sweet spot on me. It has a nice W.Carlos touch. Nice music!!

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:40 pm

I love my micro moog, it was my first synth. taught me a lot about subtractive synthesis and sound design. Ithink about selling it every now and then for something more modern. But always get talked out of it by myself or someone else (sub phatty was the most recent temptress)

I kinda miss the days when all I had was the micro and an korg es1. Life was so much simpler lol
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:12 pm

I would not trade the Micro for a Phatty especially since it seems that you have a Voyager.
Be faithful to your first love. :)

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Scories wrote:I would not trade the Micro for a Phatty especially since it seems that you have a Voyager.
Be faithful to your first love. :)
Yeah I dont think I could ever get rid of her
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:15 am

It certainly has a very distinct sound that belies its apparent simplicity.

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:38 am

Scories wrote:
mpa1104 wrote:The only Moog I've ever had (would have liked more, but ...)

I did this with a Micromoog:
http://www.soundcloud.com/mach4/where-would-we-be

I appreciate it a fair bit
The middle section in waltz time (starting around 2:50) really hit a sweet spot on me. It has a nice W.Carlos touch. Nice music!!
The Carlos touch is exactly what I was aiming for there, so I'm glad you heard it (and liked it, cheers!)
By the way, the section you mentioned is actually in common time, not waltz time, but I'm conscious that the various off-beat notes I put in, and the occasional 5/4 bar may give the impression of a waltz feel (also glad I can still trick people into hearing something they're not! :D )
It was a really good experience putting that piece together so easily with such a deceptive synth - deceptive in that it may seem so basic and minimal on the surface, but is capable of a h**l of a lot underneath.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:15 am

just had my go at the half restored micro, open and guts out on the desk without the front panel on so i had to keep looking between the pots and the body. the keyboard produces notes but they dont decay? so the notes hang and none of the contours work. could this hanging note have something to do with where the kb creates the cv? the tuning is way off def looking forward to this when my dads finished working on it... looking into one of those control voltage processors but i dont have any other CV friendly gear to run it with....

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.

Post by c-level » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:48 am

so heres a demo of my 85% functional micromoog. ive notice that the 'modulation input' presumably for a pedal is just a tad bit smaller than a 1/4in jack. are all moog exp pedals slightly smaller jacks? i dont have mine on hand to test.

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Post by Henfield » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:50 am

I had one, but had to sell it off last year to pay off some bills. I have owned other vintage Moogs, and the Micro was the most fun to play, and It was great at experimental and drone sounds, in addition to the Moog bass (great with the sub octave!) and lead sounds. What someone really needs to make is some kind of "breakout box" and cables to accompany the Micro, that would increase the CV output from 0.91 to 1.0 v/oct, take the S Trig and switch to V Trig, and take the oddball 3/16" jack for the LFO and turn it into 1/4" jacks for in and out. This would make the Micro able to interface with modern modulars, much like the "open system" that the Micro was designed with to interface with the vintage Moog Modular.

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Post by Henfield » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:03 am

c-level wrote:so heres a demo of my 85% functional micromoog. ive notice that the 'modulation input' presumably for a pedal is just a tad bit smaller than a 1/4in jack. are all moog exp pedals slightly smaller jacks? i dont have mine on hand to test.
It is actually a 3/16" stereo jack that allows the LFO to control other equipment and the ability to control the LFO. I don't believe that a standard, unpowered, pedal, even with the right connector will do anything. Do you have a copy of the manual? It is available at several locations on the Internet, just search for it, and it details all of the rear panel jacks, and what they can do. It is very flexible, for a vintage monsynth.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:46 am

Never had a Micromoog, but I have it's bigger brother the Multimoog and it's fantastic. The VCO soft sync controlled by aftertouch is out of this world.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:58 pm

If you bought two Micromoogs, and connected them via their backpanel connections... you would truly have a synth that would exceed the Minimoog in functionality, and at least match it in tone.
It has such a rich saturated tone... and then, having two oscillators with ALL of the functions given to you with the Micromoog... wow. Just wow.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:17 pm

I can see the micromoog in time becoming a much desired synthesizer to own, by that time it may not be possible, there are only so many still left i cant put a figure on how many but only a few years ago they were always for sale , now not so much, at last count i own 3 and 2 of its bigger brother the multi.
yamoto773

c-level

Post by c-level » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:14 pm

bochelli wrote: at last count i own 3 and 2 of its bigger brother the multi.
you say that as if theyre in the cupboard, reproducing as we speak :lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:13 pm

c-level wrote:
bochelli wrote: at last count i own 3 and 2 of its bigger brother the multi.
you say that as if theyre in the cupboard, reproducing as we speak :lol:
Well, as "big brother" usually means "older brother," the Micromoog is actually the "big brother." But if we want to go with size, the Multi is definitely the bigger of the brothers.
But the Micro is fatter. ;)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay