Micromoog appreciation thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Re: Micromoog appreciation thread

Post by bochelli » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:25 pm

This is the appeal of the micromoog , you are provided the basic features in a small compact size but is quite able to offer so much in return i like this concept , is it the japanese import single 7 inch Showroom Dummies that shows Karl Bartos of then Kraftwerk or rather his manequin playing a micromoog .
yamoto773

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:58 pm

There's some really nice use of guitar synth driven Micromoog on Synergy's 1978 album "Cords".

Here are a few examples....

The solo of "Full Moon Flyer" (first half of this audio clip) and pretty much all of "Terra Incognita" (the last half)
were done on the guitar synth/Micromoog combo:

The bass line (all the way through) as well as the end solos of "Phobos and Deimos":

The growly bass line of "Sketches Of Mythical Beasts":
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kushwonder » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:46 am

I LOVE the sound of the Micromoog! ...I have entertained the idea of selling my Rogue to buy a Micro on multiple occasions...idk if I will actually do that or just keep the Rogue and buy one anyways...

Question: how well does the Micro work with a MIDI to CV converter? I have a master MIDI keyboard hooked up to my Octatrack to control all my synths & drum machines...will the Micro play well with this setup?...I know there are some funky/different things about the Micro like this person mentioned:
Henfield wrote:What someone really needs to make is some kind of "breakout box" and cables to accompany the Micro, that would increase the CV output from 0.91 to 1.0 v/oct, take the S Trig and switch to V Trig, and take the oddball 3/16" jack for the LFO and turn it into 1/4" jacks for in and out.
so, that ^ being said, if I hooked a Micromoog up to a MIDI to CV converter, would I be able to be play notes accurately from a master MIDI keyboard & have the notes sequenced with my MIDI sequencer?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 am

Even the new Moogs, Voyager etc., are not properly 1V/oct.................. I have no idea what the h**l they were thinking. :roll: :?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:27 am

I would guess that synths with computer generated CV's are probably never going to be precisely 1V/oct. The Moog Source CV output is 1.035V/oct, I always assumed that the reason was to do with DAC resolution limitations. I do remember someone from Moog once telling me that they did it deliberately to allow for limitations in other keyboards, but I don't see the logic in that.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Steve Jones wrote:I do remember someone from Moog once telling me that they did it deliberately to allow for limitations in other keyboards, but I don't see the logic in that.
Yeah, it's ridiculous. Especially continuing this with their modern synths...

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:04 am

For the first time I linked up my voyager/vx351 and micromoog (I know i know...) and WOW did that rattle some teeth loose! Also made a very expensive four on the drum machine with some help from the cp 251 lol
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:53 am

kushwonder wrote:I LOVE the sound of the Micromoog! ...I have entertained the idea of selling my Rogue to buy a Micro on multiple occasions...idk if I will actually do that or just keep the Rogue and buy one anyways...

Question: how well does the Micro work with a MIDI to CV converter? I have a master MIDI keyboard hooked up to my Octatrack to control all my synths & drum machines...will the Micro play well with this setup?...I know there are some funky/different things about the Micro like this person mentioned:
Henfield wrote:What someone really needs to make is some kind of "breakout box" and cables to accompany the Micro, that would increase the CV output from 0.91 to 1.0 v/oct, take the S Trig and switch to V Trig, and take the oddball 3/16" jack for the LFO and turn it into 1/4" jacks for in and out.
so, that ^ being said, if I hooked a Micromoog up to a MIDI to CV converter, would I be able to be play notes accurately from a master MIDI keyboard & have the notes sequenced with my MIDI sequencer?
You'll need Cinch-Jones to 1/8 cables and a Kenton pro-solo. Then you play with the scale on your pro-solo to compensate the 0.91v/octave.
With the pro solo you get an lfo that can modulate the pitch AND the filter. That leaves the Micromoog lfo free to control the waveshape.

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kushwonder » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:33 am

You'll need Cinch-Jones to 1/8 cables and a Kenton pro-solo. Then you play with the scale on your pro-solo to compensate the 0.91v/octave.
With the pro solo you get an lfo that can modulate the pitch AND the filter. That leaves the Micromoog lfo free to control the waveshape.
thank you! :)

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:55 am

Easily my favorite Moog... at the moment I'm all MIDI, but if I ever go back to CV/GATE it'll be because I get another Micromoog.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 am

before: a total POS. kb, case not attached. literally a pile of parts and a bag of knobs. oh and a farfisa too.

after: a few op amps, chip sockets, rebuilt power supply board, cleaning glued up knobs that melted over into the traces. a good scrubdown and this micromoog is back in action! my first unit with CV capabilites. big ups to my dad for undertaking this restoration which would have certainly been a big bill for a tech.... tunes to come soon....