I Dream of Wires

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:58 pm

*Yawn*

thread tldr

I just want to watch the film.

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:52 pm

Computer Controlled wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:
Computer Controlled wrote:Eurorack is the most forward thinking of the Modular world. All of the 5u guys are mostly trying to still be Moog like, right down to the looks.
i actually need to take issue with this. i am the only Moog-format modular maker who goes out of his way to look as much like RA Moog period modular gear as possible, from the graphics and typography to the panel printing and fabrication techniques.

also i make some pretty forward-thinking s**t. like sequencing modules that hook into a sync 24 bus to cut down on patching and speed up workflow, and introduce new performance techniques like changing the rate of a sequence on the next downbeat. yes i make (presumably) backwards-thinking s**t like the only Moog CP3-based mixer in modularland, but i'm releasing a digital VCA next month. who the h**l is making a digital VCA right now?

or what about Doug Slocum's Segwencer. that's crazy unique. also Roger Arrick (who brought Moog format back from the dead with Synthesizers.com) designed the best voltage quantiser in modular synth land period up to this point, one that is able to even calibrate itself.

Eric Barbour can talk a lot of incorrect s**t if he wants when there's a camera pointed at him, but Moog format is very definitely not stuck in the seventies.

Damn, i always forget you make large format stuff!
And very nice stuff it is :)
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:24 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:He was really talking more about the typical 5u-user, the same people that Andreas Schneider refers to as "generation 60+" - the older guys reliving their Tangerine Dream youth fantasies now through 5U, many of whom want only classic Moog style sounds and modules. Those guys probably won't be buying your digital VCAs!
with all due respect to my supportive german dealer, i have been selling moog-format modules directly to customers since 2006 and i have got to know them whenever possible.

this stereotype is not just silly, it's flat-out incorrect. yes there are people like that, and some of them are inside the internet just like you and me.

however something people need to keep in mind is that the userbase that talk about what they do online is somewhere between one-third to one-sixth the size of the number who just use the gear and don't climb inside the internet to talk about it.

and i am certain they will want my digital VCA.
s o l v e n t wrote:Eric is trying to rile people up and it worked! I find it hilarious personally.
yeah i thought it was pretty funny too until a legendary and kind Hammond tech was burned alive in a fire and he decided to use the opportunity to lay into the Hammond community at large and the roasted technician as well.
rjd2 wrote:Holy s**t this thread smells like f**k nerd
you are a shining example of what i was talking about earlier. thanks for chiming in.

RJD2 uses MOTM and Moog format (in addition to a roomfull of everything cool.) do you think RJD2 is just some old guy reliving his teenage years of doing drugs and listening to Tangerine Dream?

no. he's a young man counting his money from sync-licencing the theme to Mad Men.
Computer Controlled wrote:Damn, i always forget you make large format stuff!
ha. yeah i don't even know anymore.
JJQ wrote:And very nice stuff it is :)
thank you very much.

btw, i'm some guy in his thirties living out his twenties dreams of listenign to tangerine dream, so i'm getting a huge kick out of this thread.
http://stgsoundlabs.com is where i sell things
http://suitandtieguy.com is my personal/music website
http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com is my LJ, no blogistan for STG yo.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:50 pm

paults wrote:the most informative and thoughtful post yet
...Thank you for this. Truly; A joy to read. :D
suitandtieguy wrote:btw, i'm some guy in his thirties living out his twenties dreams of listenign to tangerine dream, so i'm getting a huge kick out of this thread.
Yeah, I did actually notice your Tangerine Dream vinyl carefully set in the background shot on one of your module info pages.

Also, I'd be interested to hear what's wrong with Tangerine Dream (or the desire to somehow emulate). :?

IMHO it's an amazing time in the life arc of Electronic Instruments with so much to choose from, both vintage and current tech - yet here we are bickering and arguing on about minutiae; calling out users of different format systems for being uncool and the whole nine.

WTF is that about anyhow?
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:14 pm

silikon wrote:Yeah, I did actually notice your Tangerine Dream vinyl carefully set in the background shot on one of your module info pages.
right next to LTJ Bukem presents Earth.

i wear my influences on my sleeve. i would never belittle someone for doing the same.
http://stgsoundlabs.com is where i sell things
http://suitandtieguy.com is my personal/music website
http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com is my LJ, no blogistan for STG yo.

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:21 pm

suitandtieguy wrote:RJD2 uses MOTM and Moog format (in addition to a roomfull of everything cool.) do you think RJD2 is just some old guy reliving his teenage years of doing drugs and listening to Tangerine Dream?

no. he's a young man counting his money from sync-licencing the theme to Mad Men.
Just to clarify, I don't think that all, or even most, 5U users are "old guys reliving..." -- I absolutely know that this isn't true. I know that it's not true of your music, or your modules, STG. I have several friends, including IDOW's director Robert, who are using 5U to make music that has nothing to do with the '70s. But those types of 70s obsessed 5u users do exist, and were discussed in some interviews - sometimes disparagingly (Eric), sometimes fondly (Andreas). I can understand how these kinds of generalizations would annoy you STG, but they are a part of this snapshot of the modular synth scene and they make up a funny and interesting point of discussion in the film; there is some absurdity in people getting worked up about modular synthesizer format preference. But I get obsessive over so much minutia in regards to electronic music and synthesizers every day, so I can relate.

The fact that people involved in modular synthesizers are so passionate and opinionated is what makes IDOW an interesting film, IMO.

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:37 pm

CZ Rider wrote:I thought the IDOW trailer was really laim. I would be pissed if I gave my time for a full interview about an instrument or modular, and they chose that 8 seconds for their trailer. Seems taken out of context to make it sound like an old Moog was c**p, just to support this IDOW editors opinion. It's not just you either, listen to the clips they included in that trailer of the other artists. Whomever did the editing on that trailer had a one sided view, and picked the clips that supported that view.
It's unfortunate that it came across that way to you, but fact of the matter is, we are not trying to push any particular side or agenda.

Condensing a 4-hour film into an 11-minute trailer is a tricky thing. The trailer's goal is to peak peoples' interest in the film and hopefully make them want to see it. In that respect, it seems to have succeeded. It seems unfair, although inevitable, that people should make such conclusions based on these short excerpts - it's a trailer meant to give you an idea of what to expect from the film.

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Note to self: must cancel internet in June... I don't think I can take all of the debate that the film itself is going to inspire! It's just not possible to please everybody, we just have to accept that. We just want nothing more than to make a fun and interesting film, putting some people and stories behind these amazing instruments, and hopefully expose modular synthesizers to some new people - that's our agenda.

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:16 pm

my last point... I surely don't think there is anything wrong with people liking Tangerine Dream &/or reliving their '70s TD youth fantasies through modular. I hope that nothing I said gave that impression. I personally spent the better part of a decade reliving my '80s synthpop youth fantasies through vintage analog synthesizers and drum machines. I don't think there is *any* wrong/lame reason for using modulars - even if you don't turn them on or produce a note out of them (rare, I'm sure, but it happens), it's still supporting the manufacturers, and that is a good thing.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:01 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:We just want nothing more than to make a fun and interesting film, putting some people and stories behind these amazing instruments, and hopefully expose modular synthesizers to some new people - that's our agenda.
So glad Jason jumped in here himself. Maybe people on this forum will stop slinging mud at each other now?

Jason/Solvent--thanks for clarifying a bunch of things and still staying above the fray as always! I'll be living in Solvent City tonight! Can't wait to see this massive effort finally come to fruition.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:07 am

my two cents.
I guess the Moog IDOW thing has been settled.
But I still think the idea that Moog Music isn't really a participant in the current modular revival is weird.
I go to a lot of noise/experimental shows. The kind of gigs that have several acts on the bill flaunting modular rigs.
Quite a lot of those folks are using MP201's and various moogerfoogers!

I'd also posit that the moogerfooger pedals are a gateway drug to modularism.
I know I am already doomed.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:13 am

Ha ha ha. That's really cute.

But anything synth-related smells like :::ahem::: "f**k nerd" (sic).
There's nothing you can do that is quite as "f**k nerd" as pointing out how "f**k nerd" a thread is that you're reading, responding to, and which applies in some way to you.
:thumbleft:

Walter Ego wrote:So glad Jason jumped in here himself. Maybe people on this forum will stop slinging mud at each other now?
:?
:blink:
Uh... welcome to VSE, I hope you enjoy your VSE experience?

Lastly: There is a pretty sizable difference between "I want to keep on good terms with people I've interviewed, and certainly want to make a great film" and "I want to keep s**t straight and educational." Therein lies our difference. Certainly not judging, just contrasting.
Of course, if you get rid of the internet... you'll never know what people think of your movie. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
There's nothing you can do that is quite as "f**k nerd" as pointing out how "f**k nerd" a thread is that you're reading, responding to, and which applies in some way to you.
:thumbleft:
congratulations, you pointed out with stark, pragmatic clarity the nature of the joke. and yet, it just doesnt have the same comedic ring to it, does it? a nerd! on a synth forum! and he's calling the other nerds nerds! but he himself IS a nerd! by golly we must set this chap straight immediately!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:00 am

rjd2 wrote:congratulations, you pointed out with stark, pragmatic clarity the nature of the joke. and yet, it just doesnt have the same comedic ring to it, does it? a nerd! on a synth forum! and he's calling the other nerds nerds! but he himself IS a nerd! by golly we must set this chap straight immediately!
Well, see... you can say that. But since you didn't participate in the conversation previous to the point where you mocked the conversation, and mocking conversations is really di rigueur of nerds trying to mock nerds to futilely avoid the label of nerd (yep, Stabby, I'm thinking of you)- I just don't know.

But thank you for noticing my stark pragmatic clarity! That's why they pay me the big bucks. :D

P.S. I think STG was more deserving of a response than me.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:19 am

s o l v e n t wrote:Note to self: must cancel internet in June... I don't think I can take all of the debate that the film itself is going to inspire! It's just not possible to please everybody, we just have to accept that. We just want nothing more than to make a fun and interesting film, putting some people and stories behind these amazing instruments, and hopefully expose modular synthesizers to some new people - that's our agenda.
Well the good news is that the people who are upset about the trailers will probably be the first to buy a ticket to see it--if only so they can complain some more on the internet!