I Dream of Wires

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:49 am

If Moog's presence has to be in the film I hope it's quite brief tbh. We know so much about the man and the history of Moog. It's enough really.

The impetus of the film is the CURRENT popularity of modular synthesizers and Moog didn't initiate the current energy in the modular synth world. Dieter Doepfer, Bruce Duncan are arguably more important IMHO. Moogerfoogers and Phattys and Minitaurs are popular of course now but that's because they're in every store and there's a vintage vibe that people are hoping to recreate with them. It's like saying Boss pedals are the best pedals because most people use them and they've been on the most records.

Crying about not enough Moog in the film reminds me of watching the BBC Synth Britannia documentary. Human League and Depeche Mode out the a*s. Although I'm aware the producer is a relative of someone in Human League. As if there isn't enough info, video and praise for them already. I wish they would have given more time to other artists that they spoke to like John Foxx, OMD, Soft Cell, Cabaret Voltaire. Their stories aren't as well known.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:19 am

plikestechno wrote:If Moog's presence has to be in the film I hope it's quite brief tbh. We know so much about the man and the history of Moog. It's enough really.

The impetus of the film is the CURRENT popularity of modular synthesizers and Moog didn't initiate the current energy in the modular synth world. Dieter Doepfer, Bruce Duncan are arguably more important IMHO. Moogerfoogers and Phattys and Minitaurs are popular of course now but that's because they're in every store and there's a vintage vibe that people are hoping to recreate with them. It's like saying Boss pedals are the best pedals because most people use them and they've been on the most records.

Crying about not enough Moog in the film reminds me of watching the BBC Synth Britannia documentary. Human League and Depeche Mode out the a*s. Although I'm aware the producer is a relative of someone in Human League. As if there isn't enough info, video and praise for them already. I wish they would have given more time to other artists that they spoke to like John Foxx, OMD, Soft Cell, Cabaret Voltaire. Their stories aren't as well known.
Yep.
:facepalm:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:12 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The first trailer for this that I saw showed not a single Moog modular, and had no mention of Bob Moog. I have to admit that it tarnished my view of the project. I'm glad to see that now they're including some Moog modulars and mention of Bob Moog. Although I gotta say I think it's retarded when that guy says "Bob Moog did the best he could with what he had." Absolutely stunningly ridiculous. What Bob Moog created was an incredibly powerful tool for generating timbres and their articulation. With enough oscillators, envelopes, etc. any sound could be made with what he created.
This goes to the heart of why I am irritated with this documentary and the current modular trend: it is largely based in the Buchla philsophy... which is quite different from the Moog philosophy. The Buchla philosophy is much more embraced in the modern era because it's about performance. It's about a device that allows realtime composition in a performance setting of electronic music. And that's fine- but the Moog philosophy was about skilled authorship of sound. You don't need a modular to produce a song. You do, however, need a modular to author original timbres.

I don't need to tell you that my viewpoint was not appealing to Morton Subotnick. :)
Yep. :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

As a representative of them. Your comments and conduct have tarnished the Moog Foundation.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:19 am

Oh and skilled authorship? You could sit with a moog cabinet for a 1000 years and not get when you can with modular synthesizer possibilities in 2013. I have 40k worth of synth and modular in my house and the only moog i own still is a minitaur and a 904a clone by modcan. Its all the moog ill ever need. The rest of moog and dotcom is quite boring. Especially with today's options.

Any sound? Any old sound i guess, grandpa. I wonder what the mean age of those buying vintage moog and building dotcom systems is?

Oh and as the younger brother of a 41 year old autistic man way to use the word "retarded" in 2013. Clearly everything about you is still in the 70s including your social tact and ignorance. All class. Did you smoke three packs of cigarrettes today while driving in your cadillac eldorado, too?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:59 am

plikestechno wrote:Oh and skilled authorship? You could sit with a moog cabinet for a 1000 years and not get when you can with modular synthesizer possibilities in 2013. I have 40k worth of synth and modular in my house and the only moog i own still is a minitaur and a 904a clone by modcan. Its all the moog ill ever need. The rest of moog and dotcom is quite boring. Especially with today's options.

Any sound? Any old sound i guess, grandpa. I wonder what the mean age of those buying vintage moog and building dotcom systems is?

Oh and as the younger brother of a 41 year old autistic man way to use the word "retarded" in 2013. Clearly everything about you is still in the 70s including your social tact and ignorance. All class. Did you smoke three packs of cigarrettes today while driving in your cadillac eldorado, too?

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:11 am

plikestechno wrote:I wonder what the mean age of those buying vintage moog and building dotcom systems is?
jesus christ do i need to address this again?
http://stgsoundlabs.com is where i sell things
http://suitandtieguy.com is my personal/music website
http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com is my LJ, no blogistan for STG yo.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:04 am

I think everyone's getting a little worked up over this, there's enough modular out there for everyone. People don't need to upset about someone else's creative choices.

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:04 am

Exactly. And every discussion, book or movie about modulars doesn't have to pray at the altar of Bob Moog. So people shouldn't say that it's tarnished because it isn't. Nothings tarnished. Why doesn't AG go make a movie about old synthesizers instead of crapping on this one and howbits makers went about making it. I mean this movie is going to give exposure to and show 99.9 perecnt of the world what some of the modular makers of TODAY look like and sound like and it should be applauded for that.
Last edited by plikestechno on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07 am

Mine are bigger than yours.

But seriously P-tehno...I understand that you like youre eurorack stuff. And that you are no big fan of Moog But you dont have to make stupid comments about us that prefer MU/5U.

Specially since you dont have a clue.
Last edited by JJQ on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:13 am

suitandtieguy wrote:
plikestechno wrote:I wonder what the mean age of those buying vintage moog and building dotcom systems is?
No. Because we know the answer.

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:15 am

plikestechno wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:
No. Because we know the answer.
my statistical sample is bigger than yours.

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:19 am

JJQ wrote:Mine are bigger than yours.

But seriously P-tehno...I understand that you like youre eurorack stuff. And that you are no big fan of Moog But you dont have to make stupid comments about us that prefer MU/5U.

Specially since you dont have a clue.
Actually most of my system is Modcan A and then with some Serge, Blacet and bananafied DIY. The only I euro i have is 3U of some drum modules, trigger modifiers and a z-dsp. There is lots of innovation in 5U from motm, modcan, cgs, stg etc.

I specifically noted moog and dotcom.

So yeah i know what im talking about when it comes to 5U and old vs new synths and sounds.

I have plenty of old synths if youd bother to read my sig for two seconds. I just dont think theyre the be all end all and have had enough time in the sun. The movie was also inspired by what is happening NOW.
Last edited by plikestechno on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:23 am

And its not just the age of the person, its the age of the music made with those celebrated but dated machines.

Lots of 19 year olds like 70s yes, weather report, genesis and tangerine dream but that music and its sounds is still old.

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:30 am

plikestechno wrote:And its not just the age of the person, its the age of the music made with those celebrated but dated machines.

Lots of 19 year olds like 70s yes, weather report, genesis and tangerine dream but that music and its sounds is still old.
i don't understand, are you saying that Synthesizers.com systems were used by TD or are you saying that people using them today are making backwards-thinking music with no new ideas?

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:32 am

But I dont listen to Yes or Genesis, and very seldom to TD. And I dont think I make dated music. And I know of a lot of artists that use MU for music that are not dated.

I've seen your signature, but what does it realy say when you make such stupid comments.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute