I Dream of Wires

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:33 am

JJQ wrote:But I dont listen to Yes or Genesis, and very seldom to TD. And I dont think I make dated music. And I know of a lot of artists that use MU for music that are not dated.

I've seen your signature, but what does it realy say when you make such stupid comments.
Probably the same as your comments say about you. Yours say that you dont read everything written very well.

Interesting, modern music and sounds with vintage moog gear and dotcom? Really? Let's see some links please.

To reiterate there is plenty of innovation in mu. Also to reiterate once again my question is why would this movie be tarnished or any less of a movie if bob moog or moog foundation was not involved. He wasnt the only synth maker back then and definitely isnt the inspiration for a lot of modular now.
Last edited by plikestechno on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:56 am

Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 am

JJQ wrote:
2002?!?

that's old man music. let's hear something FRESH and CURRENT.
http://stgsoundlabs.com is where i sell things
http://suitandtieguy.com is my personal/music website
http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com is my LJ, no blogistan for STG yo.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:07 am

OK

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:09 am

suitandtieguy wrote:
JJQ wrote:
2002?!?

that's old man music. let's hear something FRESH and CURRENT.
:oops: Didnt check when it was released. But he made severall releases 2012...
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:28 am

Well the context is modern ill give you that but the tone could be a walter carlos outtake. Love heckmann though, love trope and all that.

When i say dotcom i should clarify specifying the imitative modules made by the synthesizers.com company. Many companies including stg, ssl, cgs, cyndustries have created modern modules for that system.

I believe everything has a place but nothing is absolute. When modulars are being discussed or on film, moog doesnt have to be discussed or given some special status. There is much more now to be applauded. Id rather watch a documentary on stg or the harvestman or makenoise or modcan than bob moog. They are not any less worthy of being focused on than him.
Last edited by plikestechno on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:32 am

Bitexion wrote:OK

See youve got everything in there. Many current products and innovations. My point isnt being well understood i think. Modulars existed and exist without bob moog. He didnt HAVE to be in the movie to be an important movie is all im saying.

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:42 am

suitandtieguy wrote:
plikestechno wrote:And its not just the age of the person, its the age of the music made with those celebrated but dated machines.

Lots of 19 year olds like 70s yes, weather report, genesis and tangerine dream but that music and its sounds is still old.
i don't understand, are you saying that Synthesizers.com systems were used by TD or are you saying that people using them today are making backwards-thinking music with no new ideas?
I'm saying that 99.9 percent of synthesizers.com videos i see sound like td, moroder and walter carlos outtakes. Its the easiest stuff to make because that is what the inherent tone of the classic design presents. And its what a lot of users of those systems want to make and hear and maybe thats why they decided on that system in the first place. Very rarely do you hear much in the way of complex fm, attempts at physical modelling, complex envelopes, digital sound sources or anything with much grit or grunge that is heard in a lot of innovative products of today.
Last edited by plikestechno on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:55 am

plikestechno wrote: Very rarely do you hear much in the way of complex fm, attempts at physical modelling, complex envelopes, digital sound sources or anything with much grit or grunge that is heard in a lot of innovative products of today.
But surely if I wanted Complex FM, Physical Modelling, Complex envelopes...from digital sound sources.

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:57 am

But we have that and much more in modular now too. With voltage control over the parameters as well. Isnt that great that we have that NOW thanks to many hard working NEW builders and designers that should be applauded for it in a film? And the effect these designers are having by getting more people interested in modular than ever before? That would be cool.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:06 pm

plikestechno wrote:With voltage control over the parameters as well.
:o

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:46 pm

plikestechno wrote:Interesting, modern music and sounds with vintage moog gear and dotcom? Really? Let's see some links please.
A little Modcan mixed in, but it looks like he's mostly using Dotcom:

This is one of the guys from Azari & III ... I'm not saying this is the most cutting-edge music I've heard, but it sounds contemporary and certainly doesn't sound like TD, Moroder, Carlos, etc

Anyways guys... As much as I wish this thread about IDOW wasn't the cause of so much mud slinging, it is not surprising considering the passionate nature of modular synthesizer users. I think Moog lovers will be very satisfied with our 1-hour introduction in the Hardcore Edition, so if that history is important to you, make sure you get in an order for the Hardcore Edition, because that stuff will be completely cut from the theatrical version of IDOW.

In both versions of the film, the *focus* is the resurgence of modular synthesizers, and since eurorack is the dominant and most popular format of the resurgence, it does get the most coverage in the film. But all (well, at least most) contemporary formats showed up and were discussed.

Just want to make sure this is 100% clear: Hardcore Edition is only available to order until May 31 - after that it's gone. I just want to make sure that anyone who is interested in this movie understands that the 4-hour Hardcore Edition is something you need to order now or never - it's not going to be sold later on Amazon or available to download from iTunes, whatever/etc. Here's the link for ordering:

http://idreamofwires.org/order

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:18 pm

Okay, I just want to ask a question.

Does "modern" here refer to some sort of electronic dance music by default?

I should note that I'm listening to Weather Report while typing this.

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:42 pm

nvbrkr wrote:Okay, I just want to ask a question.

Does "modern" here refer to some sort of electronic dance music by default?
Not in my books, but having seen that video recently, it was the first (& only, TBH) video I could think of with a Dotcom-dominated system, that didn't sound like an homage to 70s electronic music.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 pm