I Dream of Wires

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 am

GuyaGuy wrote:It only has to do with Moog Music. It's a film about the contemporary modular world and Bob is not in that world. I'm sure it will touch on the history, including Bob and the other old cats. But it's mostly about the young kittens. I don't know about the film but the trailers don't even have archival footage or photos.
Um... have you watched all of the trailers? As I just stated, they feature a tremendous amount of vintage modular devices.
No, there isn't anything archival, but vintage devices and even vintage users of those devices are featured.

Ugh, trust me on this. I work for a foundation which is in contact with the makers of this film, I know a number of the people interviewed personally, and it is my job to deal with the actual physical history of the subject.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:09 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:It only has to do with Moog Music. It's a film about the contemporary modular world and Bob is not in that world. I'm sure it will touch on the history, including Bob and the other old cats. But it's mostly about the young kittens. I don't know about the film but the trailers don't even have archival footage or photos.
Um... have you watched all of the trailers? As I just stated, they feature a tremendous amount of vintage modular devices.
No, there isn't anything archival, but vintage devices and even vintage users of those devices are featured.
They show them because those young kittens are using the old cats' devices. Again, this isn't a "History of Modular" film.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:12 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
They show them because those young kittens are using the old cats' devices. Again, this isn't a "History of Modular" film.
Well, it's a good thing Morton Subotnick isn't in it, then.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:18 am

They invited Bob Moog to appear but he didn't reply.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:21 am

GuyaGuy wrote:They invited Bob Moog to appear but he didn't reply.
That is not what happened.
Plus: uncool

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:20 am

AG, dude, the hardcore edition has an hour long history of synthesizers, and modulars, and that will undoubtebly include Moog and his designs. However, the film is about modern modulars and their users. If it seems sparse in the trailer, it probably has something to do with the Moog film already existing, and not wanting to confuse people into thinking this will just be more of the same.

They actually have a good write up on their site and facebook about why the main film has been cut down so much and even mention the possibility of a follow up project detailing more of the history.

Don't be so defensive, dude. Now go make that ms20 mini video series so I have more to lust after.
w00t

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:57 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:This film is about the current modular resurgence, you know, the one you said is based more on the Buchla philosophy than the Moog one. :idea:

Aside from that, Bob Moog doesn't have to be the focus of every synth/modular film ever made. There's already the Moog film and he's received a great deal of recognition for all the fantastic work he's done, it's not unfair that Don and other pioneers get their time in the sun too.
Hey, genius... if you're going to decry me for wanting Bob to be involved, don't quote my quote about Buchla. While he is involved in modern production of modular devices, the video FEATURES HIS ORIGINAL WORK. Jesus Christ.

But as I pointed out when the first trailer was released... there are ALL KINDS of historical modulars in the movie. In fact, they featured historical artists talking about historical modulars. It may very well be about the "resurgence," but if it's ONLY about the resurgence, it would ONLY include modern modulars... which is not the case at all. And you undoubtedly know it.

Also, as is PLAINLY apparent, I'm not suggesting it has to be ABOUT Bob Moog. But to (at least initially) not mention Bob Moog at all is absolutely ridiculous.

If you'd like to learn about the history of modular synthesis, I can help you. While Don Buchla independently applied control voltage in ways that suited his intent, the portrayal associated with his application is not accurate. Bob Moog created the current modular paradigm, even if the sequencer wasn't a part of his and Herb's vision.

If you're going to complain about the prevalence of Bob Moog, you should really go back to who essentially invented control voltage-based modular synthesis... and wasn't Bob or Don. But you'd rather argue other things, I suspect.

The Moog movie wasn't about synthesizers or history. It was about the man. There is SO MUCH historically that isn't in that movie.

Should "I dream of wires" be about Bob? h**l no. It is, as you b***h, about the modern resurgence. But should Bob be mentioned, described, and credited if they're going to talk about history or feature vintage devices and artists? Well, f**k obviously. :idea:
I'm not decrying anything, I was just explaining the focus of the documentary because it seemed like you didn't get it, sorry if that upset you. I think you need to calm down a bit rather than going nuts attacking everyone who posts anything that doesn't perfectly agree with your views. I don't get where you came up with the idea I was 'bitching', 'complaining' or anything else you said, maybe you should go back and reread what I wrote with a clearer head.

I'm just trying to state facts here Marc, not get into an argument about what should or shouldn't go in this documentary, the documentary makers can decide that for themselves I'm sure. :thumbright:

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 am

AG, go make your own movie and enjoy everyone shitting on it for what it isn't instead of enjoying it for what it is.

Do you even own a modular? Do you offer anything to the modern modular scene?

I've heard enough about bob and quite frankly could care less about hearing any more. I find moogs boring (the only one i still own is a minitaur). Hes not the only guy who ever made a synth and doesnt need to be mentioned every damn time.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:28 pm

One idea is that they could have started this movie when the other Moog movie was being made and this was another angle. Since so much time has passed, maybe there are changes that do mention Bob in a 'proper' light.

Another is that we need to see it to see it and all this speculation over a trailer is....
oh wait, we love speculation. Never mind. #-o

====================================================
THE TEXT:
"I Dream of Wires" (IDOW) is an upcoming, independent documentary film about the phenomenal resurgence of the modular synthesizer — exploring the passions, obsessions and dreams of people who have dedicated part of their lives to this esoteric electronic music machine. Written and directed by Robert Fantinatto with Jason Amm (Ghostly International recording artist Solvent) serving as producer and co-writer, IDOW is set to premiere spring 2013.

Inventors, musicians, and enthusiasts are interviewed about their relationship with the modular synthesizer — for many, it's an all-consuming passion. Established musicians such as Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails), Carl Craig and John Foxx show off their systems and explain why they opt to use this volatile but ultimately rewarding technology. Meanwhile, a new generation of dance and electronica artists including Clark, James Holden and Factory Floor explain why they've stepped away from laptops to embrace the sound and physicality of modular synthesizers. Innovative companies like Modcan and Doepfer, driven by a desire to revive modular synthesizers, discuss how they planted the seeds that have now grown into a major cottage industry. What started out as a "vintage-revival scene" in the '90s has grown into an underground phenomena with a growing market of modular obsessives craving ever more wild and innovative sounds and interfaces. Today, the modular synthesizer is no longer an esoteric curiosity or even a mere music instrument — it is an essential tool for radical new sounds and a bonafide subculture.

We are releasing two very different versions of IDOW, with two different release dates.

"I Dream of Wires" will see it's festival premiere May 2013. This theatrical cut is geared to a wider audience and will run approximately 85 minutes. A wider release date, with further theatrical screenings, will be announced following the premiere.

The other version, "I Dream of Wires (Hardcore Edition)" (IDOW-HE) will be released independently on Blu-Ray / 2xDVD, and shipped to all IndieGoGo and pre-order customers, June 2013. IDOW-HE is for the hardcore modular synthesizer and electronic music fanatics and will run approximately 4 hours long(!). IDOW-HE is a strictly limited-edition item, which is bound to sell out quickly, so don't sleep!: IDOW-HE Blu-Ray / 2xDVD is available to pre-order now.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Anyhoo, glad to see the unanimous response of joy from the synth community about the release of a documentary about, erm, synths.
:?

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:22 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:Anyhoo, glad to see the unanimous response of joy from the synth community about the release of a documentary about, erm, synths.
I'm excited and uncynical. I even contributed to the kickstarter campaign. So there.

I'll echo the sentiment that this is not really a documentary about the history of modular synthesizers. It's about contemporary enthusiasts who use them, and I think that's great. The ghost of Bob is always lurking somewhere, but not every piece of film about synths has to be about Bob Moog or Moog products.

Also, I did see the documentary about Bob Moog and I was very disappointed, so I hope someone is making something else about Moog and his products. But that's not what IDOW is about.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:38 pm

Just pre-ordered the hardcore edition. Seems like it should be interesting.

Watched the trailer last night....g/f's response.... 'WTF is this? I thought you said you were putting on a movie, not more bleeps and bloops.' :lol:

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:41 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:Anyhoo, glad to see the unanimous response of joy from the synth community about the release of a documentary about, erm, synths.
I'm excited and uncynical. I even contributed to the kickstarter campaign. So there.

I'll echo the sentiment that this is not really a documentary about the history of modular synthesizers. It's about contemporary enthusiasts who use them, and I think that's great. The ghost of Bob is always lurking somewhere, but not every piece of film about synths has to be about Bob Moog or Moog products.

Also, I did see the documentary about Bob Moog and I was very disappointed, so I hope someone is making something else about Moog and his products. But that's not what IDOW is about.
Yeah I'd love to see a well-made docu on the early days of modular synths that captures the spirit, excitement and comradery and competiion of the time. Now would be the time to make it while Herb and Don Buca are still around to tell the tale.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:14 pm

Pffffff. Arguing about synths? Crazy. I'm going to watch the trailer and see if there really is any need to get annoyed with it.

Edit: what the h**l? Bob is the first name to get dropped in the first vid posted. What's the problem?

Anyway, this looks really interesting.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:Watched the trailer last night....g/f's response.... 'WTF is this? I thought you said you were putting on a movie, not more bleeps and bloops.'
:laugh2:
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)