I Dream of Wires

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:52 pm

sensorium wrote:The "expert of everything". Isn't that the truth. So annoying.
Since this thread is actually about a film that is mostly about the modular resurgence, and for a time, was about my concern that there was a bias about origin, but then that was all resolved by the filmmaker and everything was cool, maybe your personal beef would be better stated elsewhere.

I'll be glad to start a different thread wherein I list that which I am NOT an expert in (which I would more accurately describe as "nearly everything"), and then you can complain about me and all of my outrageous claims, terrible hubris, and unbearable personality all you want.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Sensorium, whatever differences you may have with AG, please take it privately..stop derailing threads into a s**t throwing marathon.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Can someone lock this f**k ?
bonne chance

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:18 pm

If the thread's going to get locked, can I (the producer for I Dream Of Wires) please request that the last post include this text below? Otherwise that's going to get totally lost on account of all of the unrelated stuff from the last few pages...

Just want to make sure this is 100% clear: Hardcore Edition is only available to order until May 31 - after that it's gone. I just want to make sure that anyone who is interested in this movie understands that the 4-hour Hardcore Edition is something you need to order now or never - it's not going to be sold later on Amazon or available to download from iTunes, whatever/etc. Here's the link for ordering:

http://idreamofwires.org/order

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:26 am

don't lock it. the documentary has a ways to go before release and there's bound to be more discussion about it. locking this thread will just require another one.

can we just go back to talking about modular now? I want to hear more history like paults' juicy post and other things relative to the current state of the modular scene.

is Doepfer in the documentary at all by the way?

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:51 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:is Doepfer in the documentary at all by the way?
Yes we visited Dieter at Doepfer HQ and interviewed him - did you not see him the trailer? He's the guy with the German accent and Doepfer T-shirt!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:28 am

Lower thirds would have been helpful since I only recognized a few faces.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:43 am

Yes, please don't lock this topic, for the reasons just mentioned, and also because it's so revealing. Like the documentary, it focuses on the reality of the synth users' world today and shows what it's like.

I must say as a musician I have little interest in this documentary, but I don't mean that as any kind of negative comment. The documentary presumably does what it sets out to do and shows what the reality is of modular use at the present time. I saw the original trailer and also this one, and there seemed to be very little to do with music, which is why as a musician it doesn't interest me.

In the first trailer the only person who seemed to show any musical sensitivity at all was the late Richard Lainhart. Everyone else as far as I can remember was just making noises for the sake of it. The second trailer was similar, with some guy making a noise that Wendy Carlos could improve on and make musical in her sleep, and stupidly saying "Take that, Wendy Carlos."

That doesn't bother me at all. It just fails to interest me. If the reality is that people buy modern modulars to play about and to try to impress and outdo each other, then the documentary should be showing that. As a musician that doesn't interest me, but on the other hand it's probably good that it's happening, if it means people who make modulars can sell them and stay in business.

I don't own a modular synth, though I do own a good range of both vintage and modern instruments. Could I use a modular? Well, definitely, and I would if I could afford one, so in no way am I uninterested in what's available. But to my mind what it comes down to is music. If I want to express the sky over an open field in summer, or clear shallow water, or rain beginning to fall in a small English village, I choose the sounds and the techniques that work for expressing those things. A good modular system could do wonders with that, but I have to work with other possibilities. So if you were to say to me "Do you want an in-depth look at what modular systems can offer?" the answer would be a definite "yes" if I had the money to invest in one. But if the question is "Do you want to watch a load of people divide their time between making noises and making comments like "Take that, Wendy Carlos" then the answer would be "no."

I'm not sure I really belong in a forum like this one (though I'm grateful for the wealth of technical knowledge here), but it did seem relevant to throw this comment into the mix. I certainly don't want to offend anyone, especially as there's been rather too much of that already. So this is just an observation, to be noted or ignored as people see fit.
Free the Jupiter 8!

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 am

Since I realized AG is being smashed in this thread just for being a knowledgeable and cool guy, I just dropped by to say

Hurray =D> AG!!!!

Haven´t use a modular yet :cry: . I suppose I would get hooked in the first minute, since I´m a true addict to modulation matrices and patch cord programming on the synths I have....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:51 am

"Do you want an in-depth look at what modular systems can offer?" the answer would be a definite "yes" if I had the money to invest in one.

Well, I think a lot of people build their systems one piece at a time, slowly...over time. So you could keep doing what you're doing and buy little modules and pieces every few weeks/months. It would also help you learn each piece very well instead of buying a monster set up and being intimidated.

But if the question is "Do you want to watch a load of people divide their time between making noises and making comments like "Take that, Wendy Carlos" then the answer would be "no."
Yeah, there are a few douchey moments in this for sure, but you can't help what the interviewees say ,BUT you can edit the trailer to be all inclusive and save some of the more opinionated elements for the actual documentary.
That Wendy line and the one about Moog stuff being tame/limited hit me as out of place for a trailer.

I'm not sure I really belong in a forum like this one (though I'm grateful for the wealth of technical knowledge here), but it did seem relevant to throw this comment into the mix. I certainly don't want to offend anyone, especially as there's been rather too much of that already. So this is just an observation, to be noted or ignored as people see fit.

No, you belong here as much as anyone, just expect to see a lot of content that makes you roll your eyes and log on later. You can't have Quality AND Quantity. And most forums are flavored by their most active posters, which always doesn't represent the majority of the readers/lurkers.

But I do say your comments are so ...me. I love the sci-fi goodness and hands on approach of plugging this into that. I love the blinking lights and even the learning aspect of getting down and dirty with the actual parts-to-the-whole. But I also like making music over making sounds. So I know it would only be a toy/self indulgent exercise in noodling. Damn fun, but just for fun. And once that approach wore on me, it might start to collect dust.

That said, I will be ordering this documentary and will probably be seduced into getting some kind of set up.
I'll be that guy with the video playing one screen and on the other, I'll be logged in here asking which one should I get, with what modules and power concerns...and...MIDI...and....and....
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:26 am

Very bizarre to me that Jack Dangers' silly/fun "Take that, Wendy Carlos" was read into as anything deeper than that - a silly comment for fun. He's a very accomplished and influential musician BTW, the man behind Meat Beat Manifesto, who were hugely influential on people like Autechre and (I'm guessing) Portishead and the whole trip hop movement. He's also owns a record collection of early electronic/electro-acoutic music that I am guessing must be one of the most extensive in the world. Museum worthy, I would imagine. And so I'm sure that he must be a massive admirer of Wendy Carlos. His comment, for the record, was a reference to a point he had made earlier in the interview, that Wendy was a vocal critic of the EMS synths' unmusical nature. Not that I think it needed that context...

There are also plenty of people in the film who use modulars to make music as opposed to noise. I myself am creating the entire soundtrack for the film exclusively on modulars, and my music is very often melodic and musical (the opening theme in the new trailer, for example). Personally I also enjoy the occasional noisy/experimental modular record from other artists, stuff that many might just consider a bunch of "bleeps and bloops" or whatever - it can be music to my ears.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:42 am

You uppity kids. Get off my virtual lawn! Back in my day you actually had to mortgage your house to be able to afford a modular! And you could only play Bach cantatas on it! And I mean PLAY. No fancy sequencers for us, you actually had to have technical ability! Computers!?!? PAH! We did everything live to tape and if you f**k it up you went back and played it again!

You kids these days think you're so cool with your silly four on the floor and your bass wibbles. Letting the LFO's do all the work for you like a mama's boy! "Hey look, I can repeat this same four bars over and over on top of a beat I found in Fruity Loops!" Put another compressor on the sidechain and wheeeee!!!! another amazing opus from Generation s**t-For-Brains!

Spoiled little brats! You're not even worthy of wiping Tony Banks' 62-year old a*s!

;)

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:31 am

s o l v e n t wrote:
bouzoukijoe1 wrote:is Doepfer in the documentary at all by the way?
Yes we visited Dieter at Doepfer HQ and interviewed him - did you not see him the trailer? He's the guy with the German accent and Doepfer T-shirt!
awesome. sorry did not watch any of the recent trailers and waiting for the full length version. only saw some early tidbits. I was hoping this would cover some eurorack history that I've been dying to hear. up until now, all I've read was old stuff from Sound on Sound I think. the early history of Doepfer is shrouded in mystery and considering all the new activity in eurorack it seems like now is a good time to hear about it! can't wait to see the entire thing.

just scanned through the Hardcore Ed. preview -- there he is! I didn't know that's what he looked like. I wish there were names on the screen! I don't recognize most of these people, but I think I probably know their names. for all I know it could be some deadmau5. :mrgreen:

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:00 am

balma wrote:Since I realized AG is being smashed in this thread just for being a knowledgeable and cool guy, I just dropped by to say

Hurray =D> AG!!!!
some of the stuff AG says is down right offensive, insensitive and disrespectful.

On one time, I talked about wanting more companies to make analog stuff, and he went on to tell me that its pointless making new analog, that its like making a Model T again, there is nothing magic about analog, and I should just shut up and be happy with what is being made already. makes you wonder why is the guy into analog so much in the first place. You're welcome to have your opinion about things but just don't offend others when you state yours.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:25 am

But hey, THIS isn't the place to pull out the "one time AG said..." stuff. This is about the modular documentary, let's TRY to keep it on the rails, shall we?