I Dream of Wires

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
CZ Rider wrote:
b3groover wrote: Back in my day you actually had to mortgage your house to be able to afford a modular!
Always a good point that many forget or just do not realize. Some of the vintage synthesizers that I read "go for prices only a collector could afford", are actually less than would have cost you new back when they were sold. CS-80 is a good example. I paid a little less than 5 grand for a new one in '78, and that was a good deal, usually $5600 street price. Allowing for inflation, in todays dollars that would be just under 20 grand. Same for a Moog or any of those modulars from that time. High price tag was the reason only universities and large studios had them.
I always thought that had something to do with the resurgence of modular gear today.

I calculate my euro system to be probably around $10,000. I would never have believed it if someone told be before I started that it would reach this point. back then I refused to buy a Voyager because I thought it was only for rich people squandering cash while all my favorite emerging artists used cheapo VAs and laptops. I laugh at myself now.
I'm in pretty much the exact same boat as you. :D I did fund it by selling my V-Synth and CS-15 and a period of working two jobs, but it's crazy how the cost sneaks up on you. I didn't actually know what I'd spent on mine until I put it all into Modulargrid and the price appeared at the bottom.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:I laugh at myself now.
For not buying the voyager or for buying the modular :|

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:48 am

Jesus! let the poor guy plug his DVD.

Going to have a break from this forum I think, all it does is make me want to buy s**t and roll my eyes at strangers.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:59 am

"Take That, Wendy Carlos"

OBVIOUS sarcasm. I'm guessing "sweep" thinks you're only a musician if you play something by hand. How could anyone possibly know what Jack does with a Synthi 100 by the 2 seconds he touched it?
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:43 pm

All posts in this thread are to be about the documentary only. Any more personal crusades, self advocacy, and obnoxiousness will be met with administrative action. That's a promise.
Last edited by tallowwaters on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Anyway, back to stuff about the documentary.
Ah yeah, there was something - really looking forward to it 8-) I'll try to stop with off topic now. Speaking of which, did anybody here order the BatteryAcid module with their Hardcore edition? It sounds interesting IMO...

Edit: Deleted off topic part in order to be compatible with Tallows rigorous moderation... There were quotes of now deleted posts in it before which doesn't make much sense... We can start a new thread about inflation if anybody wants to talk about it...

Edit 2: Please discuss inflation here.
Last edited by pflosi on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:04 pm

pflosi wrote:Ah yeah, there was something - really looking forward to it 8-) I'll try to stop with off topic now. Speaking of which, did anybody here order the BatteryAcid module with their Hardcore edition? It sounds interesting IMO...
I'll be posting some audio demos of it today...

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Anymore thread burning needed?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi,

I've just added audio demos of the hexinverter.net batteryACID (I Dream of Wires edition) -
Eurorack format DISTORTION / COMPRESSION module

ABOUT THE MODULE:

This is a 1-off single batch production with the majority of proceeds going to I Dream of Wires' completion fund — huge thanks to hexinverter.net!

Available exclusively from http://idreamofwires.org now!
Pre-order 2/11 through 5/31. Shipping June.
This is a limited edition, pre-order only module - Buy now or never!

Also NOTE! IDOW combo package deals are available - Buy IDOW Hardcore Edition on BluRay or DVD, together with the batteryACID module, and you save $10.
http://idreamofwires.org/order

For more info on this module / full specs:
http://idreamofwires.org/batteryacid
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77663

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:21 am

Modular synthesizers aren't for everyone and the format options are almost too much to tackle with. Eurorack has turned into the standard for better or worse and really what difference does it make.

It looks likes this modular doc will give the best comprehensive knowledge of what it set out to do which is to inspire and expose the current geek crew of manufacturers and fans!

Welcome to the club? :)

My name is Aaron (theglyph) and I'm a modular addict.
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:25 pm

ironic (lulz)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:59 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:Hi,

I've just added audio demos of the hexinverter.net batteryACID (I Dream of Wires edition) -
Eurorack format DISTORTION / COMPRESSION module
Thanks for the demo, finally had time to listen to it. The distortion sounds quite good actually :thumbleft:

s o l v e n t

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Here's a new little interview with on Red Bull Music Academy's website, about my role in the film + the modular synthesizer resurgence in general.

Also features a bunch of previously unpublished stills from the film, studio/modular shots of Vince Clarke, Carl Craig, Cevin Key, Jack Dangers, Chris Carter, Factory Floor, Emeralds,.... Plus some shots from one of the most impressive collections of modular synth gear in the world, belonging to a Clinical Psychologist in Hollywood:

http://redbullmusicacademy.com/magazine ... m-of-wires

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:38 am

I just received my copy of IDOW hardcore edition today. I only had a chance to watch the first half hour or so before going to work, but I'm liking it so far.
You can't synthesize love

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:24 pm

I am somewhat dreading the arrival of my copy... all of the preview material looks great and already has me GASing hard for a hardware system and then the recent discovery of http://www.modulargrid.net/ isn't helping.

with newer makers such as Make Noise, it is getting harder to remain satisfied with my old software/virtual solutions

my wife isn't at all happy about this, "but you always said that a modular was abyssal doom, an endless time stealing money pit; I won't ever see you and we will be forever poor..." while I work at culling my studio of the expendable and designing a two-row system, knowing in the back of my head that it could easily become five... but really, just a 6U case, and maybe a skiff, that would be plenty.. right :?