I Dream of Wires

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Infinity Curve
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:21 pm
Real name: Cody
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:53 pm

I had completely forgot about this until just recently and started wondering what was happening as they had noted end of July and I had heard nothing since pre-ordering several months ago. Showed up on my desk this morning. Looking forward to checking it out.

User avatar
Black Tomorrow
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:52 am
Real name: kp Catalano
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by Black Tomorrow » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:15 am

_seph wrote:all of the preview material looks great and already has me GASing hard for a hardware system
I know, right? I've already downsized plenty, and I'm going to be downsizing even more. I forgot about ordering IDOW:HE and I was just talking about slimming down to a V-synth and an MG-1, using soft synths to fill the gaps. Then this came in the mail. Now I have a GAS attack.

But the film was great! Definitely worth the money.

If I endorse the film enough, can I have one of those knobby gadgets?
You can't synthesize love

Naive Teen Idol
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:14 am
Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Studio Electronics MIDIMini, DSI Evolver, Linn LM-2 Linndrum, Roland TR-77, Roland GR-300, Novation Remote SL 25

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:31 am

Really like it so far.

One quibble: any idea why Don Buchla wasn't interviewed for this?

PolarAC
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:28 am
Gear: ASR-10, ESQ-1, Juno 6, MPC 2000, Concertmate MG-1, Fender Rhodes 88, Wavestation A/D, Mutable labs Shruthi-1, Bastl MicroGranny, Volca FM
Location: SoCal

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by PolarAC » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:54 am

Watched Part 1 so far. Enjoyed!

My guess is that Buchla didn't want to take part.

User avatar
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 pm
Gear: more than 150 characters...
Location: zürich
Contact:

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by pflosi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:01 am

Image

User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by Bitexion » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:05 pm

Was this the documentary that AG went haywire about since they didn't tribute the late Bob Moog enough in the trailer? :lol:

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:34 am

Bitexion wrote:Was this the documentary that AG went haywire about since they didn't tribute the late Bob Moog enough in the trailer? :lol:
Hey, sass down, Bitexion. At that point they DIDN'T have any Bob Moog in the thing. Wasn't this covered in this thread somewhere?
Sassy. :D
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:41 am

I for one can not believe they left out Nikola Tesla.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:45 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:I for one can not believe they left out Nikola Tesla.
You know, I can't think of a single thing that Tesla did for synthesis.
And I really wanted to include him in various timelines I've done. But nope.
The f**k is RIGHT OUT.

HARALD BODE, on the other hand. I haven't watched IDOW yet, but in bold internet fashion, I'm going to go straight into judgement mode and assume that Harald wasn't mentioned by anyone.
I mean, come on, he was the inventor of the modular synthesizer.

:::tries to hide from solvent::::
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:12 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:I for one can not believe they left out Nikola Tesla.
You know, I can't think of a single thing that Tesla did for synthesis.
And I really wanted to include him in various timelines I've done. But nope.
The f**k is RIGHT OUT.

HARALD BODE, on the other hand. I haven't watched IDOW yet, but in bold internet fashion, I'm going to go straight into judgement mode and assume that Harald wasn't mentioned by anyone.
I mean, come on, he was the inventor of the modular synthesizer.

:::tries to hide from solvent::::
yeah? I'd like to see you run that minimoog with no ALTERNATING CURRENT :twisted:

nah I'm just joshing.
Whenever somebody makes a documentary about music or art there is always some j**ka** jumping up and down about who was left out or didn't get enough face time.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:00 am

This isn't a historical documentary though, it's about the modular scene right now. :idea:

User avatar
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:36 pm

hence the joke.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

User avatar
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am
Real name: Marc Doty
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial
Location: Tacoma
Contact:

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:54 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:I for one can not believe they left out Nikola Tesla.
You know, I can't think of a single thing that Tesla did for synthesis.
And I really wanted to include him in various timelines I've done. But nope.
The f**k is RIGHT OUT.

HARALD BODE, on the other hand. I haven't watched IDOW yet, but in bold internet fashion, I'm going to go straight into judgement mode and assume that Harald wasn't mentioned by anyone.
I mean, come on, he was the inventor of the modular synthesizer.

:::tries to hide from solvent::::
yeah? I'd like to see you run that minimoog with no ALTERNATING CURRENT :twisted:

nah I'm just joshing.
Whenever somebody makes a documentary about music or art there is always some j**ka** jumping up and down about who was left out or didn't get enough face time.
Well, when Herb Deutsch performed at the New York City Town Hall in 1965, the modular he used for that performance was powered by TWO CAR BATTERIES.
I rest my case.
:D
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

User avatar
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote: Well, when Herb Deutsch performed at the New York City Town Hall in 1965, the modular he used for that performance was powered by TWO CAR BATTERIES.
I rest my case.
:D
:(
I am not worthy...
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

User avatar
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1593
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:19 am
Location: down in the lab ...

Re: I Dream of Wires

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:37 pm

That's because you're not old enough to have been there and AG was. :lol:
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Post Reply