Alesis QS6

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
buzzer

Alesis QS6

Post by buzzer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:45 am

Hello again, it's the mitherer here:(. Right, how about an alesis qs6? any good for a first synth?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Alesis QS6

Post by tekkentool » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:52 am

I'd recommend something like an AN1X or a virus A/B/C first really.

The best thing you can do though, is to go get a trial version of reaper, download a copy of synth1 and start reading through these.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

You need to know what it is you want out of a synth before you go purchasing.

What kind of music do you like? What sounds are you after?

Robonaut
Gear: Roland JD-800
Roland JV-2080
Roland SH-101
Studio Electronics Omega 8

Post by Robonaut » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:14 pm

buzzer wrote:Hello again, it's the mitherer here:(. Right, how about an alesis qs6? any good for a first synth?

It wouldn't be my first recommendation (unless you got it for, like, $100 or something).

If I recall correctly, it's not very programmable (it doesn't even have resonant filters, I think).

buzzer

Post by buzzer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:55 am

tekkentool wrote:I'd recommend something like an AN1X or a virus A/B/C first really.

The best thing you can do though, is to go get a trial version of reaper, download a copy of synth1 and start reading through these.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

You need to know what it is you want out of a synth before you go purchasing.

What kind of music do you like? What sounds are you after?
Thankyou again mate for the heads up, i think i have made my mind up and am gonna go with a Microkorg XL, it sounds mint, what you rek?

buzzer

Post by buzzer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 am

Robonaut wrote:
buzzer wrote:Hello again, it's the mitherer here:(. Right, how about an alesis qs6? any good for a first synth?

It wouldn't be my first recommendation (unless you got it for, like, $100 or something).

If I recall correctly, it's not very programmable (it doesn't even have resonant filters, I think).
Thanks Robo,...., i am gonna go with a microkorg XL or would you say a Korg microkorg would be better even though a tad pricier?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:53 pm

buzzer wrote: Thankyou again mate for the heads up, i think i have made my mind up and am gonna go with a Microkorg XL, it sounds mint, what you rek?
You will likely find it's programming panel stifling and it's small of stature keys frustrating. I think you're better off with a second hand first generation VA.

That being said an MK was my first hardware synth, by that point I'd had pretty good experience with synths though.

Debasahh

Post by Debasahh » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:51 pm

tekkentool wrote:
buzzer wrote: Thankyou again mate for the heads up, i think i have made my mind up and am gonna go with a Microkorg XL, it sounds mint, what you rek?
You will likely find it's programming panel stifling and it's small of stature keys frustrating. I think you're better off with a second hand first generation VA.

That being said an MK was my first hardware synth, by that point I'd had pretty good experience with synths though.
i have a QS6.2 and it was decent as a first synth in terms of using it for gigs, but in terms of learning synthesis and creating unique sounds, not so much. when in stereo it actually has pretty decent organ and EP sounds IMO, 90% of the time i use it for that. however mine is just a tiny bit out of tune i cant seem to get the thing back in tune, so beware of that.

and i def agree with this guy, go for a VA synthesizer. my second synth was a novation X-station (the american version of the K-station) and i love it. it has just about as many knobs and sliders as can fit on the thing, and each one of them can be