Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: New Korgs

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:45 am

MS-20 mini will be cool even if it doesn't sound like the original. Semi-modular for $500 is cool, I imagine about to see a lot of Minibrute vs. MS-20 Mini threads. :D

I'm waiting to see when someone chops the mini keyboard off this and puts it in a euro rack system. That would be pretty cool.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:52 am

forgive me, second holiday day of it and i've had several... :drinks:
if that mini MS-20 is for real, that's awesome even if it sounds nothing like the original. and that's my favorite monophonic. i'd probably get one & keep my original. :D

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:54 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:MS-20 mini will be cool even if it doesn't sound like the original. Semi-modular for $500 is cool, I imagine about to see a lot of Minibrute vs. MS-20 Mini threads. :D

I'm waiting to see when someone chops the mini keyboard off this and puts it in a euro rack system. That would be pretty cool.
Wouldn't bother me if it didn't sound like the original, the filter on the monotron was better to my ears if anything, and the raw Oscillator sound of the original MS isn't really where the magic is.

I'm super excited for this, and if it's that cheap more the better ;)

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:03 am

Don't know if they exist in real life, but those pics are CG renderings, with a little searching I'm thinking perhaps by somebody named Christof B. aka GROK 02SM. Just a guess.
Last edited by Zamise on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:24 am

Haha holy f**k this needs to be real ! I'd love an MS20 like a MicroKorg. Especially if it has midi and as good a filter as the monotron. Idk why, but lately I've been using cheap s**t just because its small and I can sit on the couch and noodle while watching tv.
bonne chance

SKINNYPIG

Post by SKINNYPIG » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:29 pm

a quick Google image search shows that the mini MS20 photos are not pre-existing photo's of the Legacy controller plus photoshop shenanigans!

this could very well be legit!

worst case scenario is that it's just an updated controller for use with the ipad; I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:48 pm

i really hope the big one is a real analog and not a VA

jeffrey1121
Gear: Moog LP, Blofeld, MoPho, Machinedrum, ART FXR, Reason, FL Studio

Post by jeffrey1121 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:29 pm

despite all i've read here, i'm still skeptical of the authenticity of these pictures. :|

remember a few months back when someone posted shopped pictures of a what appeared to be a Monotron KB?

yyyyyeah.....I'm probably wrong though.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:47 pm

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:58 pm

I hope it's real, I mean it makes sense somehow. they have everything pretty much lined up for this to happen. Gotta sell some stuff now...

philip

Post by philip » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:45 pm

OMG, KingKorg is pretty ugly))

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:00 pm

The guy in the first post, describes the King Korg as an analog synthesizer, but the MS-20 mini as a monophonic synthesizer, omitting the word analog. Could it be that the MS-20 mini is just a VA hardware version of the software MS-20? I hope it's not VA.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:23 pm

antilles wrote:The guy in the first post, describes the King Korg as an analog synthesizer, but the MS-20 mini as a monophonic synthesizer, omitting the word analog. Could it be that the MS-20 mini is just a VA hardware version of the software MS-20? I hope it's not VA.

It would still be cool for $300-350 even as a VA. The iPad MS is no joke.
bonne chance

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:04 pm

I'm heavily skeptical but switching only the headphone jack, an led, and some screws seems like a lackluster, arbitrary decision for a forger. Not a very flashy move.

Additionally, stuffing all those circuits in a shell they already have designed seems plausible. The only holdup on the R&D side would be if Korg wanted to really do it right (imo of course) and have full digital / midi functionality as well. who knows.

One poster on synthtopia claimed third hand information of its validity. Otherwise no real info. I do plan to bank enough cash to get it done come end of january. that way I could get ahead of any supply side issues this year 8-)

I also would not have a problem if it were entirely digital. + the esp / cv section of course. w/o the freq/cv and external processing I will stick with the ipad. even if it were analog, it's a tough sell for me over the app if it doesn't include signal processing.

I'd bet they'd sell a whole load of these. That's what it's all about isn't it?

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:45 pm

This smells of unkempt bollocks.

It looks 99% identical to the MS-20ic that came as a USB Midi controller for the VST. I used to own one. I used it once.

KingKorg? Who comes up with those names? Why not name it Korgy? :?

37 Mini Keys... who wants to play that shite? Anyone who's tried to play the Ms-20ic controller probably has an idea of what I'm speaking about. I'm not Sir Sausage Digits III, but I can imagine this to cause anyone with fingers larger than say... 12mm... to be absolutely unable to play.

If it came in the form of a digital system, I would be extremely nonplussed given the fact that they already have the VST/AU and the iPad/iPhone software versions in the wild. In that case, releasing this as a MIDI only controller for those products makes some sense.

The only reason this would make sense is if Korg re-released the MS-20, same form factor, same architecture. Update that thing for the times, and give it more modern features ALA the Minimoog Voyager...

Smells like a hot day at the fish market.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome