Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Re: New Korgs

Post by madmarkmagee » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Thinking about how ridiculous my last post was. How could you get any smaller then a 3.5 mm cable? Why did I think the ms 20 used 3.5?

Well that was embarrassing :oops:

This could be legit then... Or the best hoax ever...
Last edited by madmarkmagee on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:57 pm

Don T wrote:I don't get it, why would a modern analog monosynth have to be horribly expensive?
1. Keyboard = $$$ (see Mopho and Phatty as examples), though Korg have an edge here if they are reusing the board from the Micros

2. MS20 has TWO filters, more complex VCOs and EGs than Monotrons.

3. The Dark Energy is based on an existing CEM chip, as are the DSI machines. The whole analog engine is literally a single chip. Currently developing a new chip costs millions of dollars upfront (I do chip design for AMD, trust me here).

Winter NAMM should be interesting this year...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:28 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Don T wrote:I don't get it, why would a modern analog monosynth have to be horribly expensive?
1. Keyboard = $$$ (see Mopho and Phatty as examples), though Korg have an edge here if they are reusing the board from the Micros

2. MS20 has TWO filters, more complex VCOs and EGs than Monotrons.

3. The Dark Energy is based on an existing CEM chip, as are the DSI machines. The whole analog engine is literally a single chip. Currently developing a new chip costs millions of dollars upfront (I do chip design for AMD, trust me here).

Winter NAMM should be interesting this year...
then you should know how easy it would be to do it in discrete components :-?
The DSI and Doepfer CEM's are totally different. The reason why DSI uses a proprietary IC is for digital integration and consistent supply. Doepfer used a non-proprietary ic - but scarcity of components backfired on them. Otherwise, I find Don T's post 100% correct. That's why I said what I said: Digital integration would be the only reason why not from Korg's perspective. And for me, that'd be the only reason why to buy it.

comparative small product retail prices from guitarcenter:
microkorg $357
microkorg special ed. $400
microkorg xl $500
monotron $40
ms1 $350
monotribe $200
r3 $600
microkey 25 usb controller $70
monotron delay $50
monotron duo $50
microkorg xl+ $500

That which is too good to be true usually is, I wholeheartedly agree. Yet, the economics of the situation make it wholly plausible. Component sourcing to meet demand would likely be the biggest problem (see: minibrute).

That being said, anyone willing to invest the time could diy an ms-20 for under $500. "yeah, but it wouldn't sound the same if you don't use the same components" - same argument purists would have against this.

$6-700 seems like the perfect street number. Mopho keys is $800. Minibrute is $500.

I'll believe it when I see it, but I can't think of a good reason why not.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:42 pm

madmarkmagee wrote:Does anyone know if 1/8 patch cables actually physically fit into the korg ms 20 ic ? If the midi controller board is 84 per cent the size of the original ms 20 does that mean it's fake patch cables would be scaled down too? If the ms ic does have smaller holes and this new ms uses the same case normal patch cables wouldn't fit? Are the patch cables on the ms20 ic real patch cables or are they fakes? If they're fakes why do the cables on this new ms look the same?

They're still real cables. Just because they aren't 1/4"... If you mean in terms of functionality, I believe the software could sense the patching on the controller to change the onscreen board.
bonne chance

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:23 pm

kronos and "kingKorg" comparison

Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

polardark

Post by polardark » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:01 pm

I'm guessing the grille type hole on the left there is for those tubes they put in electribes?

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:04 pm

nah that's the built in speaker like the SK-1. ;)

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:07 pm

nah, it just means it is a photoshoped kronos.

winnebago

Post by winnebago » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:11 pm

It's a krome not a Kronos.

polardark

Post by polardark » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:12 pm

And there is an MS20 emulating synth engine in the Kronos come to think of it. The plot thickens...

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:17 pm

oops...my stupid on that one...i meant KROME

looks pretty clear to me that at least the king kong korg korgy is shopped. have they ever used the same chassis on two different boards? seems velly velly suspissious...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

polardark

Post by polardark » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:26 pm

Walter Ego wrote:have they ever used the same chassis on two different boards? seems velly velly suspissious...
They do it all the time. Making those plastic injection molding metal molds is expensive. I mean the ER-1 and the EA-1 were like that as were the KP mini and kaossilators. Same shape - different colors and whatnot.

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Post by Don T » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:11 pm

Last edited by Don T on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:51 pm

Don T wrote:... It would be interesting to see how much a Moog "L'il Phatty Old-School" would cost though!
From what I hear, we'll find out something like that around January 24, 2013 ...

Yep. More fuel for the fire. I've heard it from two insider sources now, so there you go. Got me wondering what Moog is up to. Maybe nothing? Maybe something? I have no idea, but they've piqued my interest!

And no, I don't know anymore than I'm letting on.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:03 am

As I said before, it's from an official (http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distribut ... ?keyword=A) korg dist. It's very unlikely that any of those is fake.