Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
redchapterjubilee

Re: New Korgs

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:11 pm

I've had the Moog rumor somewhat confirmed for me as well, by friends that I have high up enough in the food chain that they'd appreciate I not let their names out either. I've heard little specifics, but that Moog is rolling out a new synthesizer of some sort is starting to be repeated by people I trust. I was prepared to drop $$ + trade on a Moog Source and was talking to one of these guys about it and was told "wait until after NAMM or you will regret it".
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:32 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:I've had the Moog rumor somewhat confirmed for me as well, by friends that I have high up enough in the food chain that they'd appreciate I not let their names out either. I've heard little specifics, but that Moog is rolling out a new synthesizer of some sort is starting to be repeated by people I trust. I was prepared to drop $$ + trade on a Moog Source and was talking to one of these guys about it and was told "wait until after NAMM or you will regret it".
Always good to hear... just hope it's not a Slim Phatty XL or similar :roll:
Do you even post on vse bro?

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Here's hoping for a poly synth!

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:13 am

So... New Korgs, eh?

jeffrey1121
Gear: Moog LP, Blofeld, MoPho, Machinedrum, ART FXR, Reason, FL Studio

Post by jeffrey1121 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:19 am

Arddhu wrote:So... New Korgs, eh?
yeah! i still think it's an elaborate hoax! :lol:

mute

Post by mute » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:49 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:Ahh. I think the ellipsis threw me off.
hahaha.. I don't care what that was in response to, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:33 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: What does jack size have to do with CV scaling? :dontknow: Either way, I'm predicting this will scale v/oct rather than hz/v, the monotrons follow v/oct.
Obviously very little... I only meant that it is the most popular format, and that it uses volt per octave.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:21 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:I've had the Moog rumor somewhat confirmed for me as well, by friends that I have high up enough in the food chain that they'd appreciate I not let their names out either. I've heard little specifics, but that Moog is rolling out a new synthesizer of some sort is starting to be repeated by people I trust. I was prepared to drop $$ + trade on a Moog Source and was talking to one of these guys about it and was told "wait until after NAMM or you will regret it".
The two stages of realization if Moog releases a poly at NAMM 2013:

1) OmG SQUEEEEEEE!!!! A Moog poly synth!!!
2) HOLY f**k IT'S HOW MUCH???

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 pm

volumetrik wrote:About the mini keys, what's the complain? Are they thinner than human finger or something? Wouldn't they be like the minibrute keys? (Which are heaps fun to play)
There was a time when the body of keyboard players played keyboards because they physically knew how to play keyboards. When Casio (and others) started creating consumer-model keyboards with miniature keys, they were largely novelties. Of course, they didn't prevent people who knew how to play keys from playing them, but physical keyboard playing is a physical activity which includes a shitload of muscle memory. While people who aren't keyboard players have no problem plunking out the notes or chords they play, actual keyboard players have to fight their muscle memory to play the damned things. On top of this, it is an instance of a company giving you something cheap and crappy that you don't notice or don't care about. Mini keys are cheap and crappy. People who are of the age who remember when Casios were the only keyboards with mini keys associate mini keys with shitty consumer-model toys.
Bottom line: If you are a manufacturer who makes keyboards and releases a non-consumer model synth with consumer-model keys, you're basically saying "no one plays keyboard anymore, so we might as well include a cheap interface."
People who don't play keyboard can play mini OR normal-sized. Why not cover the most demographic, even at higher expense, in order to create a quality product?
Companies: Because we don't have to! Shut up! Keyboard players make up the least of our demographic these days.

P.S. I guess I should blame the Hammond Solovox for this.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Post by Don T » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Last edited by Don T on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:21 pm

I agree with everything you said.

I was going to say that there is separation of synth players and keyboard players.
That's both linked to playing habits and sound design (expectations).

Keyboard players use BOTH hands to play and don't have one reserved for knob twisting so they are fine with a sparse surface. Synthers tend to play with one hand and turn knobs with the other. They prefer tons of interface and less octaves- hence smaller synths. A huge subset of that do a lot with one finger press.

The one-finger magic hit me first with the microKORG. When I play standard instruments, like piano, organ, strings...brass....reeds.....I tend to feel like I NEED 61 or more full-sized keys.

Other [non-traditional-sound-generating] modules seem to only need triggering and rudimentary pitch choices.
And seeing that KORG's pitch (Along with a lot of other companies) is no skill needed, have fun right away!
It's musical access for non-musicians.

I prefer less octaves, full sized keys.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:13 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The Minibrute has full width keys.
ok but theres also a variance in full width keys right? Prophet 08 keys are slightly wider and chunkier than the minibrute

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:20 am

I don't know the width of the Prophet 08's keys, but I know that the MiniBrute has keys that are just normal-sized keys which have length and solidity and etc. Mini keys are tiny, thin, light, and have a on-off feel that is worthless.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:41 am

If you suggest or entertain the usage of a keyboard on a synthesizer was an...arbitrary decision or only done to be familiar with its intended consumer base...

Then it goes to say that something created to create (new) sounds only needs a triggering mechanism.
Why a full size keyboard then?
That's basically following the guide that a synthesizer is some sort of piano or organ.
And other sounds like strings, guitar and even drums are truly NOT native to the instrument.

Is a 61 key- board the best option for combining pitch control with expressive interaction?

Why tolerate mini? We don't have miniGuitars? or miniHorns....

It doesn't make sense to sacrifice playability for more notes to play in a smaller space.
I have never heard anyone say they WANT or PREFER miniKeys, so how did they get here (again?)
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:50 am

Not all keys are created equal, mini or regular sized. I've played crappy full size keyboards, and crappy mini keys. But Korg has gone the extra mile to improve mini keys on a few of their newer models. Got the chance to play a Korg MicroStation, and those mini keys were very nicely weighted with a very playable velocity response. I was impressed! These were waterfall keys, and I thought they put the same ones on the MicroPiano and possibly MicroKorg XL. So at least Korg is trying.
Having said that, I have the MS-20ic controller, and it does have the worst mini keys I can remember playing. Kind of like the rubber contacts push back the whole key travel, almost like there is a constant rubbery resistance, very strange to play. But I did notice that MS-20 mini looks to have different keys from the MS-20ic model. Not the waterfall minis like MicroStation. So perhaps they did give the keyboard a newer/better action. I suggest a least trying those newer Korg micro keys before condemning them to toy status. They are not that bad, really!