Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mute

Re: New Korgs

Post by mute » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:18 pm

http://waveformz.com/korg-confirm-new-m ... nter-namm/

I honestly don't consider a small note based on further word of mouth @ waveformz to be official, but people are also saying theres a full article on it in the german Keyboards magazine...tho I looked on their site and their current issue information doesn't mention it.

Is what it is, but its starting to sound like its not a hoax.. but it could still be BS. Everyone that is saying this right now, including waveformz, kvr, etc. etc. is all referring to ONE guy who said on a forum that it was in the current issue that showed up in his mailbox. I'll still wait for the official word or pics/video from namm.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Sooooo... is it V/oct?

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Well h**l to the yes! :D

Lets hope it's not a limited edition cause I got some saving to do haha
limited edition? yeah, korg could still screw this up. "only 100 made!"

kpliver

Post by kpliver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:36 pm

I'm also praying it's not ltd ed, the holidays completely cleaned me out.

I've been literally dreaming of owning an MS-20 for about 10 years now. Really hoping it has the Ext Signal Processor!

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:43 pm

StepLogik wrote:600 Euros (which exchanges to about $8,042 in USD) is a very reasonable price considering the going rate on eBay for vintage MS-20's. I was expecting this thing, if it was real, to come in at a higher price point.

I expect these will sell very well.

Now let's start the "it doesn't sound as good as the original" bitching!
You mean $804, right ?

Pretty stoked. 13 pages too ! ;)
bonne chance

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:46 pm

StepLogik wrote:600 Euros (which exchanges to about $8,042 in USD)
you're about $7,200 off there, dude.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:48 pm

if that is list price, then it should be a bit cheaper, nice! now debating if I should buy this or the new fender bass vi.

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm torn.

If it's V/Hz, it would be more authentic. If it's V/oct, I can probably use my SH-101 to control it and not have to put up with mini-keys.

Then I've also realized that this has no "hard" place in the "final" setup I have planned, but I still want to buy it to support Korg's return to analog.
The vaccine for the Access Virus.

Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / RS-09 / JP-8080
Moog Voyager RME
Korg MS-20 Kit / Volca Keys / Minilogue
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:58 pm

so glad i ditched both of my ms20's lol

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:24 pm

i on the other hand am very glad i still have mine. :D
if they stick with Hz/V it'd be a sweet doubling addition!

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 pm

between this and the Sub Phatty and the Minibrute I already own I'm envisioning having a pretty nice little monosynth collection by the end of the year. :D although there already seems to be speculation by some that the MS-20 reissue may have a non-functional patchbay, which would be about the most idiotic oversight imaginable. :facepalm: we'll know for certain shortly.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:11 pm

So...if everyone gets an MS-20 (indie rock bands, etc), will the sound just become passe, or will the noobs not like it because it doesn't have presets like a microkorg? I've been very excited at the prospect of owning an MS-20 for less than the price of my first child, but I wonder if it just won't be as cool if everyone has access to that same sound...I do wonder if it will lose its luster.

On the other hand, the kids might just use the ESP to process drum loops and then lose interest...we'll hope that happens...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Um, that's the beauty of a synth with no patch memory - no one will use the EXACT same sound.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:46 pm

Hmm so pretty soon you could have a table piled high with synths and still have room for more stuff :)

Moog Minitaur
Moog Sub-Phatty
Dave Smith Mopho KB
Arturia Minibrute
Korg MS-20
Doepfer Dark Energy
Korg Monotribe

Not even counting things like SK-1's and Monotrons. I love how ridiculous it all is some days :)

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Walter Ego wrote:So...if everyone gets an MS-20 (indie rock bands, etc), will the sound just become passe, or will the noobs not like it because it doesn't have presets like a microkorg? I've been very excited at the prospect of owning an MS-20 for less than the price of my first child, but I wonder if it just won't be as cool if everyone has access to that same sound...I do wonder if it will lose its luster.

On the other hand, the kids might just use the ESP to process drum loops and then lose interest...we'll hope that happens...
This is a totally bigoted and "holier than thou" attitude to be taking on. You should be careful what you wish for. We are supposed to be welcoming in newcomers and teaching younger generations in hopes that they too fall in love with analog synthesis, not treating them as outsiders and hoping they just get bored and move on. The analog synthesizer market is experiencing a renaissance, which is something to get excited about. Not upset.
Comparison is the thief of joy.