Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Korg Mini MS-20

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:44 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
Blue Monster 65 wrote:
samaepstein wrote:i just want to come in on a positive note and say im so happy this machine is being made. i thinks its just about the cats a*s. next will be a tb303 reissue for $250. the future is bright!
Umm ... Roland being Roland, the 303 reissue will be $3500. :lol:
And it will be digital. TB 3030.
Don't forget the D-Beam!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:01 pm

volumetrik wrote:Roland has made a net loss for the last 4 years straight: ROLAND CORP (7944:Osaka): Financial Statements - Businessweek

http://investing.businessweek.com/resea ... er=7944:JP
burn, burn, burn. They're snoody about not doing anything analog. "Um, we prefer to look to the FUTURE?" Can't wait till they come crawling back...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:05 pm

Crawling back to what? There are already loads of analog polysynths, it wouldn't be a market for them I think. And also, people would just be comparing their new analog polys to JP-8 and such, and b***h about it not sounding just like that.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Bitexion wrote:Crawling back to what? There are already loads of analog polysynths, it wouldn't be a market for them I think. And also, people would just be comparing their new analog polys to JP-8 and such, and b***h about it not sounding just like that.
I think its the older people that complain about such things.
masstronaut wrote:They've been investing heavily in a massive new fabrication plant for analogue components.
source?

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 am

kpliver wrote:Monotribe has a trigger conversion option, if you already own one.
D-Collector wrote:But is there any information on build quality? Is the case metal or plastic?
I've read a couple harsh reviews about the build, for example: http://fluxwithit.com/2013/01/28/korg-m ... d-testing/. Taking it with a grain of salt though, considering they also say the Monotron sounds "fatter" (a total WTF after watching the whole video with headphones). Can always replace the knobs too...
That was laughable. This fool doesn't even know what half the functions are/do; how's he going to contribute anything meaningful in terms of a review?
Do you even post on vse bro?

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:21 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
That was laughable. This fool doesn't even know what half the functions are/do; how's he going to contribute anything meaningful in terms of a review?
Regardless, it has begun:
An ms 20 this is not

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:13 am

Did anybody expect the same level of build quality considering the price point it's coming in at?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:47 pm

I love that this reissue triggers stuff like this:

More here.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:25 am

volumetrik wrote:Has AG checked it out at NAMM?
I'd like to suggest that you keep an eye on my YouTube channel.

1. This is not a "Mini" MS-20. This is a "proportionately smaller" MS-20.

2. Is it different visually? Yes. It's slightly smaller.

3. Does it have "minikeys?" No. It has proportionately smaller keys. We're not talking Casio/MicroKorg here.

4. Is it small? Look, you morons- have you ever seen an MS-20 in the flesh? It's a damned small thing. This is small, too. Smaller... but not "Oh, my God, this is smaller" sort of small... just "Hmm, something is different about this" small.

5. Is it the same? I don't know, but I'm going to know. Korg has worked hard to make this comparable, and according to what I currently know, it's as much an MS-20 as most of you people need it to be.

I can't believe the stupid s**t people say before they know anything. :::sighs::: But I promise I will be showing you exactly what you're getting very soon. And, I have a very strong suspicion that you'll be getting something close enough to an MS-20 to make these differences irrelevant.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:41 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
5. Is it the same? I don't know, but I'm going to know. Korg has worked hard to make this comparable, and according to what I currently know, it's as much an MS-20 as most of you people need it to be.

I can't believe the stupid s**t people say before they know anything. :::sighs::: But I promise I will be showing you exactly what you're getting very soon. And, I have a very strong suspicion that you'll be getting something close enough to an MS-20 to make these differences irrelevant.
=D>

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:16 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
it's as much an MS-20 as most of you people need it to be.
Condescend much?

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:03 pm

Arddhu wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
it's as much an MS-20 as most of you people need it to be.
Condescend much?
Yes, all the time. But I'm taking AG's words to imply that, for the non-ultra-anal sonic trainspotter (ahem), the new MS-20 will do the job.
Do you even post on vse bro?

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:26 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:

:lol:
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

sammy123
Gear: Sk50D, MS2kr, DarkStar, Shruthi (3), Anushri, Meeblip, Ambika, 12U Eurorack, PreenFM, Poly61, DSS-1, DW-8k, Kawai K-3, ESQ-1, Maybe a Polaris soon...

Post by sammy123 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:36 pm

Hey people. I pre-ordered this from MF on the 25th. I learned two things when I called this morning. They have about 75 pre-orders and they will apply the customer appreciation 15% off coupon...at least they did for me. So I just saved $89.85 off the $599 price. Woohoo. If you cancel and re-order you'll lose your spot in line.

Automatic Gainsay, I love your videos and can't wait to see your videos for the mini. Your original MS-20 series really helped in choosing my first analog mono synth. Thank you.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:22 am

Yeah AG's just pissed that everyone thinks oh him when it comes to the MS-20 now thanks to his great vid on YT :lol: