Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Korg Mini MS-20

Post by tekkentool » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:51 am

calaverasgrande wrote:Yeah, but they could hit a stupid low price point. If they can do an MS20 for $599, they should be able to do an MS10 for 399 or less.
And while it is only a low pass, with a single osc, you can still do a lot with patch points and a few other devices like LFOs, noise sources, additional oscs etc.

I guess the cult status of the MS20 is entirely lost on me as I am not into those techno music scenes.
Heck I own a x0xb0x but go out of my way to make it not sound like a 303!
(Which means my dark energy is always CV-ed to it and I run the output of both through an effectron.)
Either way we shall see.
Maybe a Mini MS50? That would be dope.
I think that is a really dumb idea and you are therefore dumb for thinking it.

The MS-20 hits the spot entirely because it's only thing remotely near it's price point that has 2 VCO's, 2 VCF's. Otherwise it's competing against other single OSC analogue synths, or other LPF only synths like the LP.

Right now not exactly much is competing with it. Single filters are boring compared to two and the price point it's coming in at is stupidly low in the first place anyway.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:24 am

calaverasgrande wrote: I guess the cult status of the MS20 is entirely lost on me as I am not into those techno music scenes.
The Presets used two MS-20s at Coachella in 2011.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:19 am

synthroom wrote:
madmarkmagee wrote: I'm sure it was used as much as the other mono's of the period, when it was new. In fact, I can't really think of anything really commonly used in the late seventies early 80's. Though the Pro one seemed to appear a little bit more then everything else after it was released in 81.
At least in the USA, pretty much everyone had either a Minimoog or an ARP 2600. By 1979, lots of the big names had switched (or added) a Prophet-5.

MS-20s are rare. I've seen/played with one in the 30 years I've been playing with synths. And it did sound nice!
Comparing a Minimoog and an Arp 2600 (earlish 70's) with an MS 20 (late 70's early 80's) is like comparing apples with oranges. Different price range, different period. One used by filthy rich established bands, the other used by later up starts in a period with much more in the way of affordable synths. And you know what? The MS 20 and the Yamaha cs-10 and the roland Sh -09 did as good a job as the minimoogs and the Arp 2600's and the pro ones so the bands kept using them (yea I went there). I think you would have an easier and much more affordable time finding an MS 20 then a Minimoog or an Arp 2600 lol.

You also had to be filthy rich to own a prophet 5.

So imo the MS 20 is a classic synth and a historical synth as much as all the Moogs, Prophets and Arps and other c**p of the period.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 am

tekkentool wrote: I think that is a really dumb idea and you are therefore dumb for thinking it.
That time of the month, eh?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:16 am

:shock: What's up here guys? "The bigger Korgs (MS50)....", "Would have been dope if they did a mini MS50...", "Would have sucked if they did a mini MS10..." - you do all realize that the MS50 is single osc, single VCF like the MS10, right? Just a little more patchpoints, some utilities and a fancy VU meter, that's all. It's an expander more than anything else.

I do agree though that the MS10+20 combo is a lot of fun :mrgreen:

And I'd be all over a mini SQ10

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:48 am

Why wish for Korg to make an MS-10 to go with the MS-20? Why not just buy two MS-20s to patch together? :idea:

PS the MS-10 is a very boring synth, patch points or no.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:53 am

MS-10 has only 5 sources and 4 destinations on the patch panel. It really is nothing special. They perform the same functions any other mono synth has, like modwheel pitch or vibrato, or change the LFO waveform to square instead of sine/triangle wave.

The only thing it has going for it is the screamy MS-filter.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:55 pm

I don't wish for a mini MS10, I already have an original MS10+20. I was just pointing out that in the last two pages, there was praise for the MS50 / no love for the MS10, which doesn't make any sense to me, since they're basically the same (plus some utility stuff on the MS50 that only makes sense once you integrate it with other MS synths).

Apart from that, I for myself really like the MS10, even alone. It's a nice lead machine. And it has the most interesting PWM of all my synths (which the MS20 lacks sadly).

Also, 5 sources and 4 destinations on the MS10 patch panel? I count 8 sources, 7 destinations... Nothing too fancy though, I agree there...

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 pm

pflosi wrote:I don't wish for a mini MS10, I already have an original MS10+20. I was just pointing out that in the last two pages, there was praise for the MS50 / no love for the MS10, which doesn't make any sense to me, since they're basically the same (plus some utility stuff on the MS50 that only makes sense once you integrate it with other MS synths).
I was going to say the same thing but ran out of energy. It has some cool features, but it's still a single VCO expander, and I think it has a different filter as well, which I've heard has a different character than the 20 or the 10. I think it's a matter of its relative rarity giving it some level of vintage mystique.

Sequencer question: Is the SQ-10 really that much better than modern alternatives? Would people go nuts for them like they will/are for the MS-20? I understand synths having classic sought after sounds, but how much do you need an SQ-10 more than an alternative from Futuretro, Analog Solutions or a Doepfer Dark Time, or even that little 8-step job from EHX? Is the character of an analog sequencer so important?
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

samaepstein
Gear: Realistic mg1
Juno 106
Modded monotribe
Dr110
Tr505
Foogers
Rhodes
Wurlitzer
Hammond
Band: Peekaboo Streetsweeper

Post by samaepstein » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Just called guitar center to check on an expected ship date and it had moved back to mid may. Dang. Anyone hear if korg pushed things back? Last time I checked it was late feb...

synthflymachine
Gear: MicroKorg, DS-10, KP2, KP3, Kaossilator, Boss, Danelectro, Jerry Jones, Gibson
Band: Sweet Tarts and Brain Farts

Post by synthflymachine » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Walter Ego wrote:The SAVEUP coupon just expired. However, I called and talked to GC on the phone, and there's another discount which is $90 instead of $100 that the guy let me use. Pre-ordered for $509. Yeah!"
Is this coupon only available through Guitar Center?? I wonder if Sweetwater or American Musical will match that price...I've already placed a pre-order, but it would be nice to have $90 taken off the price..I won't count on it.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:12 am

samaepstein wrote:Just called guitar center to check on an expected ship date and it had moved back to mid may. Dang. Anyone hear if korg pushed things back? Last time I checked it was late feb...
Can anyone say, "Minibrute"? Looks like we've got another high-demand item that no one will have in stock for a year, unless you want to get on the ridiculous "pre-order" list. Which means, of course, that you'll watch week after week as the expected delivery date gets pushed back. Again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. :twisted:

I'm glad I waited out the Minibrute feeding frenzy. Mine is in transit and should arrive on Thursday. I never had to feel that "pre-order," am-I-ever-gonna-get-it anxiety. :lol:

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:19 am

synthflymachine wrote: Walter Ego wrote:The SAVEUP coupon just expired. However, I called and talked to GC on the phone, and there's another discount which is $90 instead of $100 that the guy let me use. Pre-ordered for $509. Yeah!"

Is this coupon only available through Guitar Center?? I wonder if Sweetwater or American Musical will match that price...I've already placed a pre-order, but it would be nice to have $90 taken off the price..I won't count on it.
I wouldn't count on that. I also think the coupon I used was only good for a few days over Super Bowl weekend. It wasn't even supposed to be for Korg products, but they had no problem over the phone applying the deal. I think they're probably glad to have a $500 sale rather than no sale. I also had mine shipped to a New Hampshire GC, so there's no sales tax. :mrgreen:
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:46 am

Walter Ego wrote:
synthflymachine wrote: Walter Ego wrote:The SAVEUP coupon just expired. However, I called and talked to GC on the phone, and there's another discount which is $90 instead of $100 that the guy let me use. Pre-ordered for $509. Yeah!"

I wouldn't count on that. I also think the coupon I used was only good for a few days over Super Bowl weekend. It wasn't even supposed to be for Korg products, but they had no problem over the phone applying the deal. I think they're probably glad to have a $500 sale rather than no sale. I also had mine shipped to a New Hampshire GC, so there's no sales tax. :mrgreen:
Here's a Guitar Center tip. Just put the item you want in your cart. Then, start up an online chat with a sales associate and ask for a promo code. They'll give you one, no questions asked. Trust me on this. That's what I did with my Minibrute.

Aaron

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:54 am

pflosi wrote:I don't wish for a mini MS10, I already have an original MS10+20. I was just pointing out that in the last two pages, there was praise for the MS50 / no love for the MS10, which doesn't make any sense to me, since they're basically the same (plus some utility stuff on the MS50 that only makes sense once you integrate it with other MS synths).

Apart from that, I for myself really like the MS10, even alone. It's a nice lead machine. And it has the most interesting PWM of all my synths (which the MS20 lacks sadly).

Also, 5 sources and 4 destinations on the MS10 patch panel? I count 8 sources, 7 destinations... Nothing too fancy though, I agree there...
I think the reason people are more interested in the MS50 is that it adds a bunch of stuff to the MS20 and has a heap of patch points whereas the MS10 is just a subset of the 20 features with PWM added and isn't that modular. The usefulness or desirability of a synth isn't just how many oscs it has.