Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Korg Mini MS-20

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:09 am

Aaron2 wrote:
samaepstein wrote:Just called guitar center to check on an expected ship date and it had moved back to mid may. Dang. Anyone hear if korg pushed things back? Last time I checked it was late feb...
Can anyone say, "Minibrute"? Looks like we've got another high-demand item that no one will have in stock for a year, unless you want to get on the ridiculous "pre-order" list. Which means, of course, that you'll watch week after week as the expected delivery date gets pushed back. Again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. :twisted:
Er, not really... As has been discussed in various iterations already, Korg probably already had most of the parts to hand. They are also not dipping their toes in the hardware market for the first time and having to try out various factories.

As far as pre-order shipping, Korg are FAR better known than Aurturia (who were releasing a "chancy" product) so it's not surprising that people pre-ordered the s**t out of them. I did, and I expect it to come exactly when they told me it would, which will be "ridiculously" sooner than yours will if you didn't bother pre-ordering :roll:
Do you even post on vse bro?

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:10 am

So if this thing is being delayed that means KORG misunderestimated demand and originally only did a small run?

That's strange because some people kept sayng that the market is too small for such a big company to do this.

Conclusion: Corporations CAN do small production runs if they want to.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:22 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I think the reason people are more interested in the MS50 is that it adds a bunch of stuff to the MS20 and has a heap of patch points whereas the MS10 is just a subset of the 20 features with PWM added and isn't that modular. The usefulness or desirability of a synth isn't just how many oscs it has.
Well maybe they will do that too, it's still early days. Who knows, I just hope it turns into more of a permanent thing rather than just an Anniversary special occasion. :)

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:25 am

Sir Ruff wrote:As far as pre-order shipping, Korg are FAR better known than Aurturia (who were releasing a "chancy" product) so it's not surprising that people pre-ordered the s**t out of them. I did, and I expect it to come exactly when they told me it would, which will be "ridiculously" sooner than yours will if you didn't bother pre-ordering :roll:
Good for you. :roll: I really don't care, which is why I didn't jump into the ridiculous -- there, I said it again -- pre-order queue. I've never liked waiting in line for anything. I can't stand it. Doesn't matter if it's food, a movie, an iPhone, or a synthesizer, I won't do it.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:26 am

volumetrik wrote:...That's strange because some people kept sayng that the market is too small for such a big company to do this.
Well yeah a lot of people said it could never be done at this pricepoint too, conclusion, take everything you read on here with a large grain of salt ;)

kpliver

Post by kpliver » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:35 am

I wouldn't freak out yet, Korg has been saying "spring" since NAMM. I pre-ordered not expecting anything before May anyway.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:20 am

volumetrik wrote:So if this thing is being delayed that means KORG misunderestimated demand and originally only did a small run?
No, Korg are still on track for a Q2 release date. This 'delay' that people are talking about is due to big retailers who have no idea when things are due just pulling a date out of the air so they can start taking preorders, and then when they get the actual date officially from Korg they update it and then people start crying that there's been a delay.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:29 am

Aaron2 wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:As far as pre-order shipping, Korg are FAR better known than Aurturia (who were releasing a "chancy" product) so it's not surprising that people pre-ordered the s**t out of them. I did, and I expect it to come exactly when they told me it would, which will be "ridiculously" sooner than yours will if you didn't bother pre-ordering :roll:
Good for you. :roll: I really don't care, which is why I didn't jump into the ridiculous -- there, I said it again -- pre-order queue. I've never liked waiting in line for anything. I can't stand it. Doesn't matter if it's food, a movie, an iPhone, or a synthesizer, I won't do it.
plus, if it comes out and it's a let down, you don't have to deal with that headache either...

There's alot of nonsense in this thread right now. Korg is big. They have a ton of factories making stuff. The hit would have to be hard to cause delays like some of you are freaking out about. Every site I saw said end of april/may, so "late feb" was a lie to get you to preorder.

Arturia got screwed on their supply line because it was their first piece of hardware to get such a high demand-- they didn't predict so many people would want minibrutes, so the single manufacturer they made their deal with couldn't keep up. Korg has got a ton of factories making Microkorgs and other things all the time, so to throw in an MS-20 isn't going to screw up production for a long time. Sure, we may see sell outs for a week or two, but I can bet the initial set of preorders will be fulfilled within the first three weeks after the first ones come out.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 am

True this, you guys have been fooled by online stores like MF or Sweetwater who make up release dates the moment they hear about a new synth at NAMM, to begin raking in cash for pre-orders. Without having a clue about when the synth actually comes out.

And when they get an actual release date from Korg, they have to change their made-up date, and people go clamoring on forums like this.

This happens in the video game industry alot too. You'll see pre-order cases for games that don't even have a release date in stores. And they throw on extra little bonuses if you pre-order NOW NOW NOW.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:10 am

This thing isn't being delayed. If anyone bothered paying attn to the videos during NAMM, you would have noticed the expected date was April. Not ONE person said Feb. Not sure where you people are coming up with this date.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

synthflymachine
Gear: MicroKorg, DS-10, KP2, KP3, Kaossilator, Boss, Danelectro, Jerry Jones, Gibson
Band: Sweet Tarts and Brain Farts

Post by synthflymachine » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:22 am

Computer Controlled wrote:This thing isn't being delayed. If anyone bothered paying attn to the videos during NAMM, you would have noticed the expected date was April. Not ONE person said Feb. Not sure where you people are coming up with this date.
American Musical Supply had a Feb. 10th date, now it just says pre-order. I talked to them on the phone and they said they have 50 expected to arrive at their warehouse between the 10th and the 17th. Not trying to argue, but that's one place that had a February date listed. They seemed like they expected the dates to change, so whatever...tomorrow would be nice, but April will be just as good.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:39 am

They're talking out of their a*s. The Korg reps all said April. Late March if we're lucky.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:47 am

Pre order dates are usually bullcrap, and you end up waiting longer for your preorder than people who just go and buy it in the stores when it's finally released. Plus they don't go through months of waiting and agonizing over it.

Online preorders are usually only to pull in cash from people, and they all jockey to have the earliest dates so people buy from them first. Preorder dates are never final.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:16 pm

Musicians Friend said late March for their first 75, mid April for the next batch.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Bitexion wrote:Pre order dates are usually bullcrap,
Yes, but sometimes in the other direction--they overcompensate. I preordered Monotron Duo and Delay from GC last year, and they arrived well before the projected dates--I think I got the Duo a month before they projected it would be available.

Take a chill pill, folks. Personally, I've waited over a decade to get my hands on an MS-20, and I'm happy to wait another month or two. Every publication said it would be out in April. I'd be happy if I got mine before then, but let's be reasonable.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)