Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Korg Mini MS-20

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Bitexion wrote:Pre order dates are usually bullcrap, and you end up waiting longer for your preorder than people who just go and buy it in the stores when it's finally released. Plus they don't go through months of waiting and agonizing over it.
Again, no--I pre-ordered the minibrute almost immediately, and I was part of the first wave to get it, once actually available. Way before it was available in any store.

Further, to bring the discussion back to Korg, I pre-ordered the monotribe almost immediately, and, guess what, it came when they said it would.
Online preorders are usually only to pull in cash from people, and they all jockey to have the earliest dates so people buy from them first. Preorder dates are never final.
Also, no--most of the big online guys don't charge you until they actually are about to send it out.

I don't think we would be having this discussion if it weren't for the isolated issues with the Minibrute. Realistically, how many people typically sign up for pre-order for ANY piece of boutique electronic gear? Rarely enough to cause this much consternation about pre-order dates, I'm sure.

I think the big difference is between US distribution and everywhere else, especially at the boutique level. You just can't expect something to show up in Norway as quickly as it shows up in the US,
Do you even post on vse bro?

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:48 am

I've found that the best thing to do in these situations is just simply wait until the websites say 'in stock'.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:08 pm

kuroichi wrote:I've found that the best thing to do in these situations is just simply wait until the websites say 'in stock'.
This. :agree:

mute

Post by mute » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:48 pm

You would be incorrect... and in the case of many boutique manufacturers, if you did that, there's no chance in h**l you'd get one of their products outside of paying the same price or higher for a used/no warranty one off ebay. Cut with this argument, it is crazy pointless and theres no reason for the same person to say over and over that they disagree. We heard you the first time.

Anyone heard/found out anything more regarding the EXT/CV in on the Monotribe? The connectivity from the KingKorg has me curious. I've already got a MIDI mod on my tribe, but I was going to do some CV stuff in prep for the MS20.. however, it sounds like it might not be necessary so I'm waiting.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:52 pm

With the external processor, could you sing or play a different instrument in and get the synth to follow the sound? Like if you knew a guitar player or vocalist, could they write a solo by singing or playing that the synth would perform?

I imagine so but I haven't seem anything like it on YouTube.

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:23 pm

I hope they make a mini MS-10 and maybe some new analog mono synths too.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:25 pm

Kidney05 wrote:With the external processor, could you sing or play a different instrument in and get the synth to follow the sound? Like if you knew a guitar player or vocalist, could they write a solo by singing or playing that the synth would perform?

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Arddhu wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:With the external processor, could you sing or play a different instrument in and get the synth to follow the sound? Like if you knew a guitar player or vocalist, could they write a solo by singing or playing that the synth would perform?

i see. very theremin-esque alot in that case.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:39 am

That would depend entirely on your source material and settings on the MS.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 am

Yes.
We once tracked a saxophone with it. It is a very delicate process, and the MS-20 is very finicky about what it wants... but you can get it to work under the right conditions. I've also done it with voice. Maybe even in my demo videos, but I can't remember.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:50 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:

Yes.
We once tracked a saxophone with it. It is a very delicate process, and the MS-20 is very finicky about what it wants... but you can get it to work under the right conditions. I've also done it with voice. Maybe even in my demo videos, but I can't remember.
Actually, I just watched that part of your video. I'm not gonna lie-- it was pretty hilarious. Taken out of context, it looks like some weird modern art performance the way you were yelling/trying to sing into it. I appreciate you making yourself look silly to demonstrate it. I'm gonna post those videos on the my blog later this week-- incredibly helpful, because I had never gotten the hang of the iMS-20 patch panel. Now I get it completely. Thanks!

This biggest thing I was missing-- that some of the knobs "change function"-- like they mean "external amount". I was trying to get some things to patch, and wondering why they did nothing. Also, the sample and hold can be very confusing until you see how it works-- needs to be clocked to that LFO or switch.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:21 am

That sample and hold is actually a track and hold... helps to know it...

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Kidney05 wrote:Actually, I just watched that part of your video. I'm not gonna lie-- it was pretty hilarious. Taken out of context, it looks like some weird modern art performance the way you were yelling/trying to sing into it.
I know right? :lol:

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Korg MS-20 Mini: Exclusive Revied by CreateDigitalMusic

Post by griffin avid » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:00 pm

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/02/h ... ges-video/

Feb 19 2013
Hands-on with Korg MS-20 Mini: Exclusive Review, Q&A, Images, Video

by Peter Kirn

Even as technology rolls forward, sometimes the old is more cherished than the new.

Perhaps this should come as no surprise in music. Musical relationships span many years – the records you love, the hours you spend practicing and producing. And so it is that we’ve heard a common refrain from electronic musicians: with many makers of the 70s and 80s still producing today, why not re-release the classics?

Korg has done just that with the MS-20 mini, in a way many rivals have not. Due soon for $599 in the USA and elsewhere in the world thereafter, it’s also within reach of many – including first-time electronic instrument buyers. Synth lovers have spread that word in recent weeks, and debated its merits. But I’ve had the chance to spend time with an MS-20 mini in person in the exclusive first review of the synthesizer.

I’ve also, with the help of DE:BUG Magazine and Benjamin Weiss, compared the new MS-20 to the original design; see our separate article.

Now, reviewing the MS-20 mini is in some ways a strange experience: it means writing a review of a design that, in many respects, comes directly from 1978. Reading over reader comments, I found that much of what you wanted to know seemed to come back to commonly-asked questions. So, I offer this review in a not-quite-Socratic dialog of questions and answers.

You can also see our impression in a video at top, shot with the help of producer Easton West (who played along) and videographer/editor Kevin Kline, in the basement of Berlin art venue Mindpirates. All the sounds you hear come, unprocessed, from the MS-20 mini.-----

Article continues
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/02/h ... ges-video/
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini: Exclusive Revied by CreateDigitalMusic

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:16 pm

Man, that was some florid prose for a synth review. Guess he really liked it :yahoo:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.