Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:28 am

Hybrid88 wrote:From a moog guy that's high praise indeed :D

How is the build quality? The other review said the knobs were made of flimsy plastic, is that the case?
While I admire, protect, and endorse Bob Moog's legacy, I am not a "Moog Guy." I own as many Yamahas as I own Moogs.

For a $600 surprisingly adequate and fully functional reproduction of a vintage synth (the first company to choose to do that, and then do it well)- the build quality is perfectly good. It's metal and plastic, just like the original. The knobs feel different- but I've always been the first to say that vintage Korg knobs suck. So, this is an improvement.
I don't know which review you're talking about, but I've owned 3 MS-20s, two MS-10s, an MS-50, a PS-3100, a Delta, a Lambda, and a MonoPoly. These knobs are every bit as good, if not better than any of those.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:49 am

ha I know man, just pulling your leg ;)

Ah the review was posted somewhere before in this thread, but to be honest the reviewer seemed like he had no idea what he was doing.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:24 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Ah the review was posted somewhere before in this thread, but to be honest the reviewer seemed like he had no idea what he was doing.
You probably mean this guy whom only played it for "a few short seconds" at NAMM:
http://fluxwithit.com/2013/01/28/korg-m ... d-testing/

I've seen him on a few other forums saying how terrible the build quality is, then following it up with great his Minibrute is by comparison. Just a random blog post and hardly a real review. There's another blog post out there that's as equally bad and has troll written all over it. The only real in-depth review from an actual publication I've seen has been from Create Digital Music and they gave it quite a bit of praise. I know I'm anything but excited to get my hands on one soon.
Last edited by Re-Member on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:24 am

Not sure if it's a "must-have" or not until I've tried it. I already have a rather big eurorack modular system, so the "inserting plugs in to holes" thing isn't that exciting to me anymore. Like "oh so awesome I can modulate the envelope attack with the LFO!!!!" *already been there, done that* More of a hassle actually to cable up every single thing every time.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:48 am

It seems like the knobs are just sensitive-- one small tweak can really change certain parameters. That's how I've been understanding it.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:09 am

Re-Member wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:Ah the review was posted somewhere before in this thread, but to be honest the reviewer seemed like he had no idea what he was doing.
You probably mean this guy whom only played it for "a few short seconds" at NAMM:

I've seen him on a few other forums saying how terrible the build quality is, then following it up with great his Minibrute is by comparison. Just a random blog post and hardly a real review. There's another blog post out there that's as equally bad and has troll written all over it. The only real in-depth review from an actual publication I've seen has been from Create Digital Music and they gave it quite a bit of praise. I know I'm anything but excited to get my hands on one soon.
This guy seems like a Johnny come lately, and looking at his site, is probably more than a little "inspired" by Matrixsynth. His word means nothing.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:08 am

Computer Controlled wrote:
Re-Member wrote:

This guy seems like a Johnny come lately, and looking at his site, is probably more than a little "inspired" by Matrixsynth. His word means nothing.
I can confidently say, watching him try to demonstrate the sounds of that thing makes it look like he has no idea what he's doing.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:33 am

It's okay marc, I don't think you're a moog guy! :thumbright:

I just think you're gay for moogs.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:39 pm

Kidney05 wrote:I can confidently say, watching him try to demonstrate the sounds of that thing makes it look like he has no idea what he's doing.
Agreed, the thing is when I didn't know much about synths I learned about them the old fashioned way till I knew what I was doing, not pretended I already knew it when I didn't. :lol:

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:27 pm

Ok First thing filter ...Then what...ahh patch bay...twiddle some knobs....Great demo.

I really thought it said f**k .com...really.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Kidney05 wrote:I can confidently say, watching him try to demonstrate the sounds of that thing makes it look like he has no idea what he's doing.
His Sub Phatty video is as equally uninspired. He just kind of plays some random notes, tweaks the filter and doesn't even attempt to touch the envelope section to shape a different sound.

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 am

Yeah... let's all just write off that guy's review as someone who's trying to say "nah, it doesn't sound good unless it's from 1983." He's probably in that synth infancy (synthfancy?) where you're slowly learning what parts do but not really how they all interconnect just yet-- hence why he sweeps the low pass filter and the high pass filter to a point where it's a no pass filter...

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:28 am

My review is coming.
I suspect your questions will be answered.
If they're not, you can just trust me... for this price, this thing is worth having.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:24 am

Lookin forward to the review Marc. I certainly would trust Peter Kirn's review over that other guy. Kirn is the co-creator of the Meeblip. He has deep knowledge of every aspect of synthesis + is a really nice guy.

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 am

Musicians friend just changed their delivery date from may 25th to April 1st...