Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:38 pm

I can only imagine what would happen if they released an MS-10... it would have to be a lower price than the MS-20, which means it would probably just completely own the low-end market of analog synths. I mean.. imagine if it was half of the price of the MS-20! And then imagine buying one of those AND an MS-20. Or, a shitload of both of them. It would be an amazingly inexpensive way to make a really powerful analog monosynth.

I would be surprised if they did a Mono/Poly. I think that would be a much more substantial investment for them as compared to something like the MS-20, where the fact that they probably reused all of the tooling for the Legacy Controller to make the case- thereby saving a tremendous amount of money. The Mono/Poly, if it were to remain true to the original, would probably end up being in the Voyager-level range as far as parts and etc. Not to mention the availability thing. This is not to say that I wouldn't love if they did. The Mono/Poly is one of the greatest monosynths released in that era. The fact that they're not Odyssey-level pricing even now is pretty amazing to me.

I know they will not reproduce the PS-3100. Primarily because of its insane complexity, but also because none of you bastards will tolerate divide-down, even if it's done right. ;)
But I can wish.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

kpliver

Post by kpliver » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
volumetrik wrote:http://www.korg.com/services/downloads/ ... lopers.pdf

Has reference to possibility of more analog gear

and also this:

"Another interesting memory was when Gotthold Meyer from our German distributer (MUSIK MEYER
Corporation) told us that the MS-20 could also be used as educational equipment for teaching science, and
that we made an ultra-large MS-20 the size of a blackboard
."

Okay, where can I get one?
Here it is in action 2 mins in:

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:00 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I know they will not reproduce the PS-3100. Primarily because of its insane complexity, but also because none of you bastards will tolerate divide-down, even if it's done right. ;)
But I can wish.
If they reissued the PS-3100 or the PS-3200 I would do more than tolerate it, I would hug it and squeeze it and love it. But, as you say, the complexity probably rules out their re-introduction :cry:
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:39 pm

mm, well considering this is only as a commemoration of 50yrs and all I'd expect they wouldn't do any other re-issues. I mean they've been done before right?

However I do hope they do more analog stuff, and given the apparent success and reaction to this I'd expect that to be much more likely.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:54 pm

I think it's very cool the original engineers are so involved and so forthcoming about this stuff. But also that they agreed to be involved the first place. Tom Oberheim and Dave Smith are still cranking their stuff out, but they are the owners of their respective companies. I imagine many of the original engineers responsible for the actual making of Oberheim's and SCI's synths, for example, are well beyond wanting to revisit their past glories. And they are also getting to an age where they may not even be around in another decade or two :cry:
Do you even post on vse bro?

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Romannis1972 wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:
volumetrik wrote:http://www.korg.com/services/downloads/ ... lopers.pdf

Has reference to possibility of more analog gear

and also this:

"Another interesting memory was when Gotthold Meyer from our German distributer (MUSIK MEYER
Corporation) told us that the MS-20 could also be used as educational equipment for teaching science, and
that we made an ultra-large MS-20 the size of a blackboard
."

Okay, where can I get one?
I've seen one on eBay a looooooong time ago. The look pretty damn cool but eh, would be hard to fit into a setup unless you mount it on a wall really close to you...
It would be more for the performance and showmanship fun than for practical recording. I just think it would be tons of fun on stage.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:52 pm

I don't see a practical use for a mini MS-10. The MS-20 mini is so cheap, it wouldn't make any sense for them to release a synth with less than half the features and just a few basic patch points that cover nothing other pre-patched synths can't already do without patch chords.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:19 am

Bitexion wrote:I don't see a practical use for a mini MS-10. The MS-20 mini is so cheap, it wouldn't make any sense for them to release a synth with less than half the features and just a few basic patch points that cover nothing other pre-patched synths can't already do without patch chords.
Well, that didn't make sense the first time, either. ;)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:47 am

I would love a PS3100, and I love divide-down, it's pretty awesome!

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:43 pm

It's already been mentioned on this thread, but maybe Korg will manufacture an MS-50 mini down the road to go along withe MS-20 mini. That seems like a good idea. You know that many MS-20 mini owners would shell out $300-400 more to add an accompanying MS-50.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:19 pm

AnalogKid wrote:It's already been mentioned on this thread, but maybe Korg will manufacture an MS-50 mini down the road to go along withe MS-20 mini. That seems like a good idea. You know that many MS-20 mini owners would shell out $300-400 more to add an accompanying MS-50.
God, I would. I LOVED that thing.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
AnalogKid wrote:It's already been mentioned on this thread, but maybe Korg will manufacture an MS-50 mini down the road to go along withe MS-20 mini. That seems like a good idea. You know that many MS-20 mini owners would shell out $300-400 more to add an accompanying MS-50.
God, I would.
+ 1

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:mm, well considering this is only as a commemoration of 50yrs and all I'd expect they wouldn't do any other re-issues. I mean they've been done before right?

However I do hope they do more analog stuff, and given the apparent success and reaction to this I'd expect that to be much more likely.
I'd take a MiniTribe--MS-20+analog drum machine/sequencer. It would have to be ugly as sin, but it would get the job done.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:07 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Bitexion wrote:I don't see a practical use for a mini MS-10. The MS-20 mini is so cheap, it wouldn't make any sense for them to release a synth with less than half the features and just a few basic patch points that cover nothing other pre-patched synths can't already do without patch chords.
Well, that didn't make sense the first time, either. ;)
When the MS-10 came out synths were more expensive so the movitator was cost, the new MS-20 is already so cheap I'm not sure why they would bother with it now. I think an MS-50 would make more sense, but that's just me. Of course you know all this already.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:17 am

Hybrid88 wrote:mm, well considering this is only as a commemoration of 50yrs and all I'd expect they wouldn't do any other re-issues. I mean they've been done before right?

Yeah, I'm sure Korg is wary of becoming a company that lives off past glories. I suspect/hope this will be proof-of principle thing that will pave the way for more modern analogue. At least it shows that they're moving on from the idea that the pinnacle of keyboard technology is to be found in the digital workstation boasting 14,000 variants of Grnd_Piano.