Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Bitexion » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:32 am

Head over to the King Korg thread if you wanna see what happens when Korg release something that isn't a rehash. Everyone hates it saing it doesn't sound liKe the old ones..proof enough?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:37 am

Bitexion wrote:Head over to the King Korg thread if you wanna see what happens when Korg release something that isn't a rehash. Everyone hates it saing it doesn't sound liKe the old ones..proof enough?
eh? That's not my impression at all, "some" people may have said that, but what about the rest that thought it seemed really nice? If anything to me (ignoring the usual trolls) it seemed fairly well received. Facts straight before proof :geek:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:51 am

Yeah a couple of drama queens whinge about it, but the people who have actually used it quite liked it.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Okay...this thread is now to 49 pages in exactly 3 months (to the day)...who's gonna push it to 50 in the next few hours?

Has there been a bigger thread that has amassed more posts in this time frame in the history of the VSE? (honest question, not trying to be overdramatic)
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Walter Ego wrote:Okay...this thread is now to 49 pages in exactly 3 months (to the day)...who's gonna push it to 50 in the next few hours?
I'll help :lol:

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:07 pm

xanadu97 wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:Okay...this thread is now to 49 pages in exactly 3 months (to the day)...who's gonna push it to 50 in the next few hours?
Did we speculate on how the new MS-20mini would affect old MS-20 prices yet? :idea:
Do you even post on vse bro?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Yeah a couple of drama queens whinge about it, but the people who have actually used it quite liked it.
Reminds me of the Jupiter-80 (oops, I went there)

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 am

Let's say Korg wouldn't do any more rereleases-- how would you guys feel about new synths that may be inspired by old voice architecture? I'd still love something like the Mono/Poly's 4 oscillator architecture, as long as they didn't call it a Mono/Poly if it wasn't worthy of the name. I'm talking a new synth called "The Korg Fourg" (or some other whacky name, it's face it) with 4 oscillators that can be stacked or switched to chord mode. What do you think?

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:40 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
xanadu97 wrote:
Did we speculate on how the new MS-20mini would affect old MS-20 prices yet? :idea:
Going by recent sales on Ebay I'd say the prices on average have dropped by at least $300.

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:46 am

Kidney05 wrote:Let's say Korg wouldn't do any more rereleases-- how would you guys feel about new synths that may be inspired by old voice architecture? I'd still love something like the Mono/Poly's 4 oscillator architecture, as long as they didn't call it a Mono/Poly if it wasn't worthy of the name. I'm talking a new synth called "The Korg Fourg" (or some other whacky name, it's face it) with 4 oscillators that can be stacked or switched to chord mode. What do you think?
I would love to see them come out with a new analog synthesizer that is based on, but not a reissue of, the Mono/Poly. A real limousine of a synthesizer that would compete directly with the Moog Voyager and the Tom Oberheim TVS. Build it in Japan instead of China, and don't cut corners. That would be absolutely awesome. I have ALWAYS wanted a Mono/Poly.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Kidney05 wrote:Let's say Korg wouldn't do any more rereleases-- how would you guys feel about new synths that may be inspired by old voice architecture? I'd still love something like the Mono/Poly's 4 oscillator architecture, as long as they didn't call it a Mono/Poly if it wasn't worthy of the name. I'm talking a new synth called "The Korg Fourg" (or some other whacky name, it's face it) with 4 oscillators that can be stacked or switched to chord mode. What do you think?
Remake the Poly 800 with the all the current popular user mods, slap on some DSP FX and sell it for $100. Yeah.
PS-800 MK III?

Maybe $200?

(we still didn't make it to 50 pages...oh well)
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:31 pm

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Kenneth wrote:
I would love to see them come out with a new analog synthesizer that is based on, but not a reissue of, the Mono/Poly. A real limousine of a synthesizer that would compete directly with the Moog Voyager and the Tom Oberheim TVS. Build it in Japan instead of China, and don't cut corners. That would be absolutely awesome. I have ALWAYS wanted a Mono/Poly.
You guys want a monopoly, buy a monopoly. A new theoretical, equivalent isn't going to be near the current prices.
Do you even post on vse bro?

burnsjed
Gear: DSI Evolver Keyboard
Moog Minataur
Korg MS-20
Roland M-BD1
E-mu Vintage Keys
Procussion
Proteus 1

Post by burnsjed » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Any news on the release date yet?