Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kvnvk

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by kvnvk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:56 pm

are we there yet?

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:22 am

Kidney05 wrote:Let's say Korg wouldn't do any more rereleases-- how would you guys feel about new synths that may be inspired by old voice architecture? I'd still love something like the Mono/Poly's 4 oscillator architecture, as long as they didn't call it a Mono/Poly if it wasn't worthy of the name. I'm talking a new synth called "The Korg Fourg" (or some other whacky name, it's face it) with 4 oscillators that can be stacked or switched to chord mode. What do you think?
If it sounds good, I don't care if it's not a reissue. As long as it's not a VA...

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 am

Sir Ruff wrote: You guys want a monopoly, buy a monopoly. A new theoretical, equivalent isn't going to be near the current prices.
You're missing the point-- we want something new, that doesn't come scratched up. Mint condition, and if it's broken it's replaceable, or you can call the company and get something. If you buy a monopoly, you have to worry about the upkeep issues. Something breaks, and that's it for a vintage synth. You have to buy another at that same crazy price.

Sure, the new thing might not have that natural tuning fluctuation, but I'd rather sacrifice that for something that I know will be around for years.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Kidney05 wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote: You guys want a monopoly, buy a monopoly. A new theoretical, equivalent isn't going to be near the current prices.
You're missing the point-- we want something new, that doesn't come scratched up. Mint condition, and if it's broken it's replaceable, or you can call the company and get something. If you buy a monopoly, you have to worry about the upkeep issues. Something breaks, and that's it for a vintage synth. You have to buy another at that same crazy price.

Sure, the new thing might not have that natural tuning fluctuation, but I'd rather sacrifice that for something that I know will be around for years.
Yes, we would all like that. We would also like $50 303s and $300 Jupiter-8s. Oh, and world peace. But Korg clearly is not going to re-issue a new monopoly. There are already more "new" monosynth options now than there have been, probably since the '80s. It would be nice if people could stop pining for yet another fantastical re-issue when the current one hasn't even been released yet.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:00 pm

What you guys really want is a time machine back to the 80s. Ain't gonna happen.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:

Yes, we would all like that. We would also like $50 303s and $300 Jupiter-8s. Oh, and world peace. But Korg clearly is not going to re-issue a new monopoly. There are already more "new" monosynth options now than there have been, probably since the '80s. It would be nice if people could stop pining for yet another fantastical re-issue when the current one hasn't even been released yet.
I think the idea is now more like, "why not?" If they could do it with the MS-20, why not others? I think the MS reissue may actually have the net effect of creating even more lust for reissued gear, rather than satisfying cravings...it may create more desire. Which I think would still be good for business if enough people really want it.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Walter Ego wrote:I think the idea is now more like, "why not?" If they could do it with the MS-20, why not others? I think the MS reissue may actually have the net effect of creating even more lust for reissued gear, rather than satisfying cravings...it may create more desire. Which I think would still be good for business if enough people really want it.
Sure... and if it happens, that's great. I'm all for new stuff that doesn't need repair. But there's already so much available today, it makes far more sense to put your money where your mouth is and actually buy current, new products, rather than pining for re-issues that aren't going to happen, especially when the current one hasn't even been released!

The SE Boomstar looks amazing, and is priced well... why aren't we hyping that?
Do you even post on vse bro?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:53 pm

You could for example also check the Vermona Perfourmer for a modern synth featuring a similar architecture as the Mono/Poly...

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:07 am

Pre-ordered my MS-20 Mini yesterday, so excited! Got to forget about it until mid may when they are due in the UK.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:11 pm

Mr Ujie has posted his review now. He doesn't speak English, but is still one of my fave synth reviewers on youtube.
He's been the main sound designer for Yamaha for 20 years. Love his enthusiasm, and he makes seriously great sounds.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:40 pm

^ Already been posted on the last page...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Bitexion wrote:What you guys really want is a time machine back to the 80s. Ain't gonna happen.
+1 haha :lol:

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Bitexion wrote:What you guys really want is a time machine back to the 80s. Ain't gonna happen.
Ha! Fat lot you know. The Death Ray is 93% operational. Once that is complete, Doktor Clubbed has been instructed to immediately begin work on realizing Stab's design for a fully functional Time Transporter. No more of this sending stuffed bunnies back in time three weeks - we're gonna take it ALL!!!! Muhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

(Newer members will have NO idea what the h**l this post is all about ... )
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:06 pm

Walter Ego wrote: I think the idea is now more like, "why not?" If they could do it with the MS-20, why not others? I think the MS reissue may actually have the net effect of creating even more lust for reissued gear, rather than satisfying cravings...it may create more desire. Which I think would still be good for business if enough people really want it.
This will probably be deleted for being off topic, nonsense or trolling, but here I go...

An MS-20 now costs $600 US. Back in its day it cost $750 US, which, purely going by inflation, would mean it would cost somewhere between $1700 (1983) US and $2600 (1978) US in today's money. That means one could crudely assume, that any future reissues, (manufactured using Chinese slaves and with 30 years in developments in manufacturing and cost effectiveness), would cost what the the inflation price is of the originals divided by 3 or 4? As 1700 divided by 3 is roughly 600, and 2600 divided by 4 is roughly 600. :lol:

So if Korg reissued a Mono/poly, it would probably sell for a bit under a grand US? It retailed for about a grand back then, I believe? If you put that in an inflation calculator that's $2500 (2500/3 = 833)

But is there any point in reissuing it? A four oscillator monosynth like the monopoly with a paraphonic mode? Buy an evolver instead, it will do more :lol: Or a DSI mopho x4... that has a more oscillators and a filter for every voice and would come in at a similar price range.

I honestly have nothing against the big three building more analogue synths. But I think it's silly to obsess over them releasing old technology when we can get better for the same price. Why take one adsr, when you can have 3 or 4?

P.S All cashless Jupiter 8 reissue demanders. Using my crude and and obviously ridiculous and unmathmatical little formula a Jupiter 8 new in early1980whatever cost around 12000 in todays money... If you divide that by 3 or 4 that's going to cost over 3000 dollars...

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Also, Australia PPL. I contacted Store DJ, and they said they reckon they'll have the MS-20 in stock around the 10th of April...