Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2153
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:03 pm
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar
Location: Pgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:28 pm

IMO Korg have ruled the synthesizer world since the Minikorg in 1974. I wonder if these reissues were the plan of the late Tsutomu Katoh.

User avatar
sensorium
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by sensorium » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:44 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:it strikes me as kids waiting for Santa: it will arrive when it arrives.
Does your Santa not simply arrive the night before Christmas? Must drive your kids nuts!

User avatar
garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1728
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:57 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by garranimal » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:56 am

Have any of you seen this unboxing video?

I think posting unboxings are extremely nerdy (I know I'm not winning any friends here saying that)...
but the first thing he does at the end is go fetch his original MS-20 and put them side-by-side.

How many people ordering the new mini already own the original? Quite a few lucky early recipients like AG, among others who make demos and promotion, have been bestowed with the original. But for others I find this strange. If I had an original I don't think I would feel compelled to pre-order the mini, seems a bit redundant. Not that there's anything wrong with that, first come first served I say.

User avatar
Kenneth
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:57 am
Real name: Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Kenneth » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:45 am

In one of the AG demos ( for the mini), Marc states that he does not own the original anymore. I don't think it would make sense to own both either... They are one in the same, apart from size that is.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Kidney05
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 5:34 am
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8
Contact:

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:47 am

garranimal wrote:Have any of you seen this unboxing video?
I think posting unboxings are extremely nerdy (I know I'm not winning any friends here saying that)...
but the first thing he does at the end is go fetch his original MS-20 and put them side-by-side.

How many people ordering the new mini already own the original? Quite a few lucky early recipients like AG, among others who make demos and promotion, have been bestowed with the original. But for others I find this strange. If I had an original I don't think I would feel compelled to pre-order the mini, seems a bit redundant. Not that there's anything wrong with that, first come first served I say.
I also think unboxings are incredibly nerdy... And yeah, I don't really understand the thrill of double buying unless you have alot of cash you don't know what to do with. Of course, if you're a touring or performing synth player, there's always the joy of being able to take the mini out to shows and keeping the original in studio. But I see that being a small group. But I do appreciate anyone who's done the work to compare and educate the rest of us.

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by tekkentool » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:30 am

Wouldn't it be just like buying a 4 oscillator MS-40 though? seems more logical to me than things like having doubles of Pro-5's or minis.

User avatar
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1593
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:19 am
Location: down in the lab ...

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:53 am

sensorium wrote:Does your Santa not simply arrive the night before Christmas? Must drive your kids nuts!
Santa has to make his way past a number of nefarious traps I set for him each Christmas Eve. It usually takes him a while to work them out.

But somehow he always does.

How DOES he do it?!?! I don't know!!!

Next year I'll leave a couple of new synths out for him. He'll be so busy playing, he'll probably forget to leave ...

Unboxing videos can be pretty humorous if done well. I'll have to watch this one later.

EDIT: That was unintentionally funny!
Last edited by Blue Monster 65 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:28 am

garranimal wrote:Have any of you seen this unboxing video?
Seriously, watching this vid, I'm really concerned I won't be able to get mine out of the box. Can others please share their experiences with getting theirs out of the box, preferably with detailed videos?
Do you even post on vse bro?

User avatar
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 am
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...
Location: Australia

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:54 am

That vid is disturbing, I mean how hard is it!!! :lol:

It's the new test from Korg, if ya can't get it out, ya don't get to keep it :D

mute
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by mute » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:37 pm

lol.. that unboxing video is hilarious. just turn it upside down..lol... someone doesn't buy many electronics.. lol.. the amount of time he struggled with it was class ;)

edit: haha.. he did but then cut it open there too..

kpliver
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:00 am

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by kpliver » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:48 pm

A ton of interesting stuff in this interview. They even talk about the screw/filter thing.


User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Bitexion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:29 pm

Guess you'll just have to play it inside the box, then. Drill out some holes in the back for jack plugs.

User avatar
Walter Ego
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS
Location: Near Boston

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:IMO Korg have ruled the synthesizer world since the Minikorg in 1974. I wonder if these reissues were the plan of the late Tsutomu Katoh.
I think they had something to do with him...I get the strong sense that the Monotrons did. Perhaps the Gakken renewed interest in his analog roots.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

User avatar
SKINNYPIG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by SKINNYPIG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:56 pm

Kidney05 wrote:
garranimal wrote:Have any of you seen this unboxing video?
I think posting unboxings are extremely nerdy (I know I'm not winning any friends here saying that)...
but the first thing he does at the end is go fetch his original MS-20 and put them side-by-side.

How many people ordering the new mini already own the original? Quite a few lucky early recipients like AG, among others who make demos and promotion, have been bestowed with the original. But for others I find this strange. If I had an original I don't think I would feel compelled to pre-order the mini, seems a bit redundant. Not that there's anything wrong with that, first come first served I say.
I also think unboxings are incredibly nerdy... And yeah, I don't really understand the thrill of double buying unless you have alot of cash you don't know what to do with. Of course, if you're a touring or performing synth player, there's always the joy of being able to take the mini out to shows and keeping the original in studio. But I see that being a small group. But I do appreciate anyone who's done the work to compare and educate the rest of us.
agreed, I'm not a fan of unboxings; in fact the only cool unboxing video I ever saw was with Gwyneth Paltrow's head at the end of the movie Seven.

User avatar
garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1728
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:57 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by garranimal » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:20 am

That interview video really put a big grin on my face. Their passion after all these years, attention to detail, and the the little sound demo at the end. Great stuff. I remember the 13600 chip was also used in the Delta (which I sold ), that chip had a nice smooth quality to it but could also be turned inside out with high resonance. Can't wait to hear the Korg35 filter in the mini.

Post Reply