Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Bitexion » Wed May 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Yeah, it's just so bloody confusing when you look at it.

mute

Post by mute » Thu May 09, 2013 9:29 am

While we're waiting... someone mind going into the MS-20's CV in detail for us less cv experienced?

Going with some recent contemporaries for example... like the Minibrute or Dark Energy. What would it take to connect these things up correctly? I understand they use different CV specs..

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:06 pm

It's just a different scaling method essentially.

Which is why the modular in that vid is out of tune when played by the MS.

Just needs a converter, think Korg make one for the MS originally MS-02 it was - mabe a reissue is in order?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 09, 2013 2:41 pm

The main difference is that Korg uses a system that defines a certain amount of hertz between each note, 12 notes is an exact octave. Which kind of makes sense, since notes are specific hertz values anyway. A3=440Hz, A4=880Hz and so on.

The others use Volts/octave, specifying a certain voltage gap between each key, 12 keys is one octave, which doubles or halves the voltage from the previous octave, and the other keys are divided between those 12.
C1=1V, C2=2V, E1=1,3V, E2=2,6V etc etc

Most modular systems use 1V/Octave. When you plug a Hz/oct synth into an oscillator that is 1v/oct, they get totally different pitches.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Thu May 09, 2013 4:04 pm

In fact it's just opposite ;-)
In Hz/V if C1=1V then C2=2V and C3=4V. That's because in this system voltage is related directly to frequency - there is no exponential converter at VCO input. It has its drawbacks, because to transpose anything you have to multiply instead of adding. So you get rid of expo converter at oscillator, but instead your keyboard has to output exponential CV.

In V/oct system each octave is 1V, and each semitone is 83mV (1/12V). And it's independent from the actual frequency. If C1=1V, then C#1=1.083V, D1=1.166V, and to transpose one octave up you just have to ADD 1V, so C2=2V, C#2=2.083V, D2=2.166V, then, going another octave up, C3=3V, C#3=3.083V, D3=3.166V etc.

So - most synths use V/oct, because in this system CV is related directly to musical pitch, which itself is exponentially related to frequency.
Last edited by adamstan on Thu May 09, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 09, 2013 5:06 pm

That makes perfect sense, I just had a couple of terms confused. :) My basic jist is more or less the same.

mute

Post by mute » Thu May 09, 2013 8:18 pm

What kind of impact does it have on the filter/amp cv? Does it really matter?

My FutureRetro Mobius has MIDI In to V/OCT and HZ/V out convertors, which is convenient.. at least for doubling the voices/slaving.

I've seen a lot of convertors out there, from HarvestMan's English Tear module that appears to be a swiss army knife of sorts; to very cheap and simple inline boxes & DIY projects..

RetroSynthAds

Post by RetroSynthAds » Fri May 10, 2013 3:18 am

What a surprise! My MS20mini arrived yesterday!

I'll be setting it up beside my original MS20 on the weekend and giving it a good run-through. Love the size and weight of the thing. The only word I can use to describe it is "adorable". :D

Definitely a lot lighter than I thought it would be.

d**k Martini
If you are bored... check out my blog: http://retrosynthads.blogspot.com

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 am

RetroSynthAds wrote:What a surprise! My MS20mini arrived yesterday!

I'll be setting it up beside my original MS20 on the weekend and giving it a good run-through. Love the size and weight of the thing. The only word I can use to describe it is "adorable". :D

by what means did you order?

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Fri May 10, 2013 11:59 am

I have to wait until July / August for mine and i pre-ordered months in advance! Oh well, at least it will make a lovely birthday present :)
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri May 10, 2013 1:03 pm

RetroSynthAds wrote:What a surprise! My MS20mini arrived yesterday!

Congratulations. I'll be getting one to keep my orig MS-20 company when they appear in shops. I would expect it to be pretty light given that the original isn't exactly overweight & the mini is 14% smaller ;)
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 10, 2013 2:01 pm

Meh, now the date on my local store says "unconfirmed 10th june". We'll see...

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:It's just a different scaling method essentially.

Which is why the modular in that vid is out of tune when played by the MS.

Just needs a converter, think Korg make one for the MS originally MS-02 it was - mabe a reissue is in order?

I think this will do the same thing.
http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9756K&cat=12

pinky_blue

Post by pinky_blue » Mon May 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Just got an email regarding my preorder from GAK in the UK:

"Unfortunately we have just been informed that the item you are currently waiting for is still out of stock and may not be available for several more months. The current ETA is December. Sincere apologies for the continued delay with this order."

I followed up with a phone call and it seems there has been a manufacturing delay and they are not getting much info out of Korg in Japan at the moment.

I think I'll leave it on preorder for a while yet until the situation becomes clearer, but if it is really December then I think I might pull my preorder and order one when they're actually available. I still want one but I could do with the cash now so will probably have to save up again. :cry:

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Mon May 13, 2013 5:18 pm

pinky_blue wrote:I think I'll leave it on preorder for a while yet until the situation becomes clearer, but if it is really December then I think I might pull my preorder and order one when they're actually available. I still want one but I could do with the cash now so will probably have to save up again. :cry:
Most retail stores won't charge you till they ship it, so canceling the pre-order wouldn't be any kind of benefit if you're still planning on buying it when it's available. If anything, you'll probably end up having to wait longer doing so because the pre-order assures you that you'll be getting it when the first batch arrives versus having to go store to store in person and finding out that every one is sold out.