Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kvnvk

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by kvnvk » Tue May 14, 2013 12:45 am

waiting until they're readily available in stores, probably won't be able to spare the cash until then anyway. :?

pinky_blue

Post by pinky_blue » Tue May 14, 2013 10:51 am

My point was I can't sit on £500 between now and December. No doubt I'd have to spend the money on something more boring between now and then and if I suddenly got billed for MS20 I might be in trouble.

I haven't cancelled my preorder. But I emailed Korg UK yesterday to see what was happening. Apparently the first UK shipment arrived yesterday.....

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Guitar Center just pushed it back another week. Kind of seems like I won't be getting this thing for awhile...

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:22 am

thestreets wrote:Guitar Center just pushed it back another week. Kind of seems like I won't be getting this thing for awhile...
Musician's friend pushed back a month. Damnit all.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 am

Kidney05 wrote:
thestreets wrote:Guitar Center just pushed it back another week. Kind of seems like I won't be getting this thing for awhile...
These different dates are odd since both are run by the same conglomerate.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 16, 2013 3:39 am

They should just put "unconfirmed 2013" and leave it there to stop giving us hopes. Every site.

burnsjed
Gear: DSI Evolver Keyboard
Moog Minataur
Korg MS-20
Roland M-BD1
E-mu Vintage Keys
Procussion
Proteus 1

Post by burnsjed » Thu May 16, 2013 3:42 am

My order with Musicians Friend (which was 22nd May this morning) has now been put back to the 24th June! :blackeye:

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Thu May 16, 2013 1:38 pm

garranimal wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:
These different dates are odd since both are run by the same conglomerate.
Well now Guitar Center has pushed it back to June 17th....

I'll be in a goddamn retirement home by the time I get this thing.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu May 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Are we really talking about a niche market for only a select few? Or are we looking at a pure unadulterated MS-20 craze? Modern factory production methods currently being blown to bits by a staggering worldwide demand. Interest in vintage synths has steadily risen over the past 12 years I've seen. Cheap and free mobile product apps have spread the news of the MS-20 idea and generously whet the appetite of many would-be hardware buyers who want the real deal. Secondhand instrument prices have more than doubled on most of the highly sought-after instruments due to an ever increasing base of synth enthusiasts. In the synth-popularity-contest-of-stuff-most-people-cannot-afford I think next to the MiniMoog the MS-20 is probably right up there along with the Odyssey, and ARP2600. And now it's being made with new production methods for a very affordable price. Why wouldn't every synth nut come out of the woodwork for it? Most people that already have and use an original MS-20 are buying the new mini. The smart people who have the system figured out have admitted to ordering multiples, some with intent to sell for markup from retail. Some might call that scalping. Alright, and we can thank the Minibrute for sending the ripples through the water. Now the MS-20 mini has the whole boat rockin' hard. I'll be very surprised if it doesn't further change the shape of things to come.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Thu May 16, 2013 8:35 pm

I agree with you. All I'm saying is that Korg must have known that was going to happen, and they should have prepared better to meet the absurd market demand this thing was bound to create.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 am

Arturia can be excused for not having huge production lines and facilities to mass produce hardware synths.
But Korg have done that for the past 30+ years..they should be able to handle it.

A mini Yamaha CS-80 wouldn't be possible, there's not enough space on the front panel to shrink it even further without making the buttons inaccessible..

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:00 am

As I understand it, the new MS20 uses different production techniques than are readily available today. In other words, not wave soldering.

Anyone open theirs up yet and see for sure?
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri May 17, 2013 6:22 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:As I understand it, the new MS20 uses different production techniques than are readily available today. In other words, not wave soldering.

Anyone open theirs up yet and see for sure?
There's pics up at Dinsync.info the guy made a good video review also to address the hiss controversy on the new mini.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri May 17, 2013 6:26 am

There's a rumor that the new MS-20 gotten 100,000 pre-orders..

What do you think? Korg is in 50+ countries, with an average 1500 orders per country and I imagine some would be more like Germany, US, Japan

On top of that every shop around the globe would need a display unit as people new to analog might actually get one from checking it out in store, and there's like 45 Korg dealers in Australia alone...guessing major shortage.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 17, 2013 1:34 pm

I guess the demand blew up in their face. Good for them, bad for us.