Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Re-Member » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:55 pm

Kidney05 wrote:The iMS-20 share the same property as the new MS-20 Mini as well. Sustain full, closed filter.
That's good to know. I have the Legacy Edition software and can check on that later too. It's been awhile since I've played it, so I can't quite remember. If that functions like the Mini and iMS-20 as well, it's probably safe to assume that the weird sustain function was part of the original specifications, then was later corrected with whatever components were changed for the v2 edition.

My Mini is finally arriving tomorrow, so it's a going to be a fun weekend for sure.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:01 am

Re-Member wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:The iMS-20 share the same property as the new MS-20 Mini as well. Sustain full, closed filter.
That's good to know. I have the Legacy Edition software and can check on that later too. It's been awhile since I've played it, so I can't quite remember. If that functions like the Mini and iMS-20 as well, it's probably safe to assume that the weird sustain function was part of the original specifications, then was later corrected with whatever components were changed for the v2 edition.

My Mini is finally arriving tomorrow, so it's a going to be a fun weekend for sure.
I'm actually second guessing myself about that now. It's very hard to tell.

Does anyone have a good way to un-route EG2 from volume? I'd like to try to use EG2 solely for cutoff. I was under the impression you could route eg1 to initial gain (last input in the main chain) but that doesn't seem to work for me.

EDIT: I can't figure it out. Sustain at max delivers a dull sound, at halfway you can hear the sweep. It doesn't make sense. If at full(10) you should hear a bright sound no filter movement regardless of decay. I'm so confused.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:58 am

Kidney05 wrote:Does anyone have a good way to un-route EG2 from volume? I'd like to try to use EG2 solely for cutoff. I was under the impression you could route eg1 to initial gain (last input in the main chain) but that doesn't seem to work for me.
EG2 to volume is fixed and not breakable. However, with a lot of patches it works to just use EG1 to initial gain.
Kidney05 wrote:I can't figure it out. Sustain at max delivers a dull sound, at halfway you can hear the sweep. It doesn't make sense. If at full(10) you should hear a bright sound no filter movement regardless of decay. I'm so confused.
This video demonstrated the sustain behavior before they shipped:

It's the same on the original, on the MS10 and also the software. It's a feature not a bug.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:04 am

So I messed with the Legacy Collection version of the MS-20 and it does the same thing. When the low pass filter is all the way down and EG2 filter depth is cranked all the way up with only Sustain, no sound comes out other than this weird wheezing noise. Normally, you're supposed to hear a fully opened sound, so it must be how the design was implemented. The trick to getting a bass drop to sustain is keeping the EG2 filter depth all the way up, setting the low pass filter knob about half way up, then adjusting the decay & sustain envelope knobs from there starting from zero. Hope that helps!

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:41 am

My MS20 has the screw AND the 35 filter. I opened it up to check and there it was plain to see.
htttp://www.myspace.com/jazzdoctor73
htttp://www.jd73.co.uk

LP/Voyager/Source/Moogerfoogers/NordStage/Logan SM2/Solina/Memorymoogplus/MicroKorg/B3+122RV/ClavD6/Rhodes Suitcase73x2/EmuE4K/YamahaEx5/Dx100

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Got it yesterday . Not much of a review , but some points ....

Keys are indeed smallish & skinny , but I like them just fine and I hate micro korg sized keys . Got used to them quick .
Some of the knobs are wobbly ( osc 2 tune/ osc 1 pw ), but the " main " bulk ( OSC / filter /eg amount ) dont feel that way . All in all very happy , sounds like the two MS20s I have spent time with before .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:48 am

follow up question - if I take envelope 1 out into initial gain, should envelope 2 still affect my release? It seems to on my unit. Not sure why.

It's consistent with the app though.

mute

Post by mute » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:21 pm

the behavior of the envelope isn't even all that uncommon.. the sustain holds the filter at the filters position, post decay. many synths behave this way.. its not the most common, but its a design trait/feature as previously mentioned... with the way everyone was so scared of patent issues back then, it probably had something to do with that.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Kidney05 wrote:follow up question - if I take envelope 1 out into initial gain, should envelope 2 still affect my release? It seems to on my unit. Not sure why.

a few posts above pflosi already wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:Does anyone have a good way to un-route EG2 from volume? I'd like to try to use EG2 solely for cutoff. I was under the impression you could route eg1 to initial gain (last input in the main chain) but that doesn't seem to work for me.
EG2 to volume is fixed and not breakable. However, with a lot of patches it works to just use EG1 to initial gain.

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:20 am

pflosi wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:follow up question - if I take envelope 1 out into initial gain, should envelope 2 still affect my release? It seems to on my unit. Not sure why.

a few posts above pflosi already wrote:
Yeah, I've tried that. what I'm saying is even if I connect EG1 to Initial gain, I'm still able to use EG2 to affect attack and release, so what's the point of using EG1?

kpliver

Post by kpliver » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:33 am

Got mine last week and can't get my hands off it. Even the mid-size keys and and lack of weight are great for me. Keep stumbling upon so many favorite sounds from records & old demos. The last couple of nights I got patching ideas at 2AM and ended up jamming around until sunrise.

Only problem I've encountered is that trying to control it with my Yamaha CS-15 is a mess; only a few of the higher notes are in tune. MS-20->CS-15 worked better, but still slightly out of tune on lower notes. Might just be something wrong with the Yamaha. Oddly enough, going from the Minibrute->MS-20 worked surprisingly well using the ESP to trigger & the FREQ (I think?) input.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:59 am

That's odd, the CS synths should all have that Hz/Oct thing Korg used. Maybe they got the scaling wrong in your MS20, or your CS15 is uncalibrated and send out the wrong frequencies.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:05 am

Kidney05 wrote:Yeah, I've tried that. what I'm saying is even if I connect EG1 to Initial gain, I'm still able to use EG2 to affect attack and release, so what's the point of using EG1?
Yeah that's what I mean with "not breakable", the routing of EG2 to the VCA is fixed and will not be broken when you patch to initial gain. EG1 can be helpful especially if you want zero sustain on EG2 (for the filter), but sustain the VCA. This would also prevent that notes get "sucked out" if you happen to play legato (be it by accident or intentionally). That's why I wrote "with a lot of patches" - it doesn't make much sense if you want attack / release on the filter...
Off Topic
Goddamn three quotations limit...

sammy123
Gear: Sk50D, MS2kr, DarkStar, Shruthi (3), Anushri, Meeblip, Ambika, 12U Eurorack, PreenFM, Poly61, DSS-1, DW-8k, Kawai K-3, ESQ-1, Maybe a Polaris soon...

Post by sammy123 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Bitexion wrote:That's odd, the CS synths should all have that Hz/Oct thing Korg used. Maybe they got the scaling wrong in your MS20, or your CS15 is uncalibrated and send out the wrong frequencies.

I wonder what my Yamaha SK50D uses. It might be cool to play around with that...

I am looking forward to the Harvestman English Tear converter...I hope that is is under $200.

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Pushed back to the 24th. Who wants to bet that when that date rolls around, they'll tell me another few weeks?

Really seems I am never getting this f**k thing.