Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by sourwookie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:48 am

A Korg rep came to the store where I work and said there were two reasons for the delay: First, there was a supply constraint on a particular component (I dunno. Gelfling glands, perhaps?). Secondly, after assembly, each one must be hooked up to an oscilloscope for manual calibration. Apparently this step takes much longer than planned.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:03 am

Yep, I thought that would be the case - that's one thing that does take a lot longer than digital, cause of course they need to be calibrated manually, which means labour and time. :geek:

Manufacturers have been spoilt with digital "cookie cutter" copies, analog ain't like that it breathes and needs to be tamed, or so to speak ;)

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:45 pm

Called today and was told "not to hold my breath". AT LAST SOME HONESTY.

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:08 am

I had a good go on one of these today in a store in Dublin. I have to say I was somewhat underwhelmed. For a start it looks like a toy, the 82% (or whatever) reduction really doesn't do it for me. It's also built like one. I know it's relatively cheap, but so is the minibrute and it's anything but toy like. As for the sound, it sounded good, though not particularly special to me. I didn't find it as intuitive as I'd have liked either. It certainly didn't scream 'buy me' in the way I was expecting it so, (and that other synths have), so I didn't. I don't have an original to compare it to, but Maybe that wouldn't be for me either. I'll probably give it another go at some stage, but for now I'm left thinking that just because something seems to be universally lauded, it doesn't mean it's for everyone.

mute

Post by mute » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:49 am

14% reduction, nothing about it says toy except hater-aid... pairing it with my minibrute is the bestest thing ever.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:16 am

mute wrote:14% reduction, nothing about it says toy except hater-aid... pairing it with my minibrute is the bestest thing ever.
I'm loving the MS-20 mini myself. But to quantify the t-word as the size/scale is built to the proportions of a teenager. I feel the price point justifies this design. I'm an adult male with large hands, but it has not stopped me from enjoying this synth. To the contrary, I can do arpeggio runs in a wider range with one hand that is not possible with full size keys. So the smaller size does offer some advantages. I do want to again emphasize the powerful and gritty sound contained inside this smaller package is serious business and I would definitely buy again if there was a choice.

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:06 am

I didn't say the keys themselves were too small to play and even if they were it has midi in. It's that the unit itself feels so cheap, i'd probably get over the size if it felt sturdy. They obviously had to make it so to meet the price point and make the profit they wanted. Personally (if the sound/ interface excited me) I'd have been happy to pay a bit more if it was better built. It seems to be the way with modern korgs, Roland's and yamahas though, even more expensive ones. It makes the minibrute seem an even bigger bargain.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:01 am

I received mine today - the result of a fine deal with the inestimable Sir Ruff.....

My first reaction is, though I never swear in public, f**k YEAH. Actually, the ms-20 was my first synth. I had no idea what I was doing back then, and so, other than some vague memories of both positive and negative experiences, specific brain mappings have deteriorated with time.

But my instinct was that this would be very worth the money, and my first session with it was really great fun. I'm not sure that I will use it for 'pure synthesis', but the combination of that, + external input, and various improvisations along with the ekhdahl moisturizer as additional fx processor, was great fun.

This was one of the results. Sorry if the cacophony offends (not really): http://soundcloud.com/ancient-eyeball-r ... ad-finally

sound is always better if you download....

mute

Post by mute » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:26 pm

anyone recommend a place to pick up some 1/8" piggyback cables? they exist don't they? currently resorting to Y cables and rca piggies.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:10 pm

mute wrote:anyone recommend a place to pick up some 1/8" piggyback cables? they exist don't they? currently resorting to Y cables and rca piggies.
http://www.tiptopaudio.com/stack.php

http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudio/stackcable/

mute

Post by mute » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:10 am

thanks man, i should've checked ah before even posting so thanks for the soft hand ;]

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:19 pm

I was just told in the local retail store that there have been some financial problems with one of Korg's subcontractors that make the MS-20 minis and ship them around the world. So they are now basically in limbo. :(
Korg doesn't produce them themselves, they licensed it to subcontractors, and they can't deliver. So this is why most stores just push back the date month after month.

The store owner got the message yesterday. Those who already got it got from the batch they did manage to get out the door, I guess. I frequent the store quite often, and I know he isn't telling stories..

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:21 pm

The kid who works in the electronics department at Best Buy told me his uncle is the janitor for Korg's US distributor and he told him some guy at the factory stole all the yellow patch cables and is selling them on the black market. Unless Korg can source more yellow patch cables the MS-20 Mini will cease production.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Joke all you want, the synth is still nowhere to be seen other than those first orders that went through, so I'm going with the explanation the synth store owner got from the EU importers.
Last edited by Bitexion on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Yeah I'm starting to seriously consider that I won't actually ever get one.