Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by Re-Member » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:55 pm

My friend owns the Legacy Controller and yup, the build quality on both are pretty much the same. Only difference is that the key-bed and overall size is bigger. It's like the followed the exact design, but just made it bigger.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:56 pm

thestreets wrote:Definitely the most expressive instrument I've ever played in my life..
Sit down at a Steinway sometime :roll:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
thestreets wrote:Definitely the most expressive instrument I've ever played in my life..
Oh yeah, I hear those things have a mean LPF sweep

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:40 am

My MS20 Mini arrived yesterday!

After 4 hours of programming its safe to say i'm in love with the thing! Build quality is excellent with no wobbly knobs (at least on mine), and the sound is extremely close to the original. This is undoubtably an MS20 :)
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Yeah I'm loving mine. Had a Friday night to spend with it, and was up until about 4 in the morning.

I'm a getting a rather annoying low frequency hum when I plug into my interface, anyone have any ideas how to mitigate/eliminate this?

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:22 pm

thestreets wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:
Oh yeah, I hear those things have a mean LPF sweep

:lol:

Buzz? Like interference buzz? My guess is to move cables around and unplug things until you get rid of it. What I do :lol:

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:32 am

thestreets wrote:I'm a getting a rather annoying low frequency hum when I plug into my interface, anyone have any ideas how to mitigate/eliminate this?
If you have the MS-20 connected to the same computer with a USB cable, then you are most likely getting a ground loop. Two ways to fix that is getting a ground loop isolator for your interface and making sure any USB cable being used in your audio set up is double shielded. There's generally two sets of coding on the wire that will say something like 28AWG/2C and 24AWG/2C. If the two sets of coding don't both have 2C after the slash mark, then it's a cheaply shielded USB cable and should be replaced.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Hey thanks for the suggestions. Any recommendations for a ground loop isolator or good USB cable?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:45 pm

Re-Member wrote:...If the two sets of coding don't both have 2C after the slash mark, then it's a cheaply shielded USB cable and should be replaced.
Good bit of info, didn't know that 8-)

Re-Member

Post by Re-Member » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:26 pm

thestreets wrote:Hey thanks for the suggestions. Any recommendations for a ground loop isolator or good USB cable?
The ground loop isolator I use is from Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062214

I noticed there was still a slight amount of hum in the background if I cranked up the volume on my monitors super high, but then I stumbled upon an old Hewlett Packard USB cable which I used with one of my Korg keyboards and it stopped the noise completely. Honestly, it's hard to point out where to get the better shielded cables online because I usually buy these used at thrift stores by digging in the electronics bins. I've seen some stores selling USB cables for as high as $30 and you can't even see the coding on the wire because it's in a package, so I suggest just digging around in thrift stores or any place that has used computer parts so you can actually read the coding on the wires.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Re-Member wrote:
thestreets wrote:Hey thanks for the suggestions. Any recommendations for a ground loop isolator or good USB cable?
The ground loop isolator I use is from Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062214

I noticed there was still a slight amount of hum in the background if I cranked up the volume on my monitors super high, but then I stumbled upon an old Hewlett Packard USB cable which I used with one of my Korg keyboards and it stopped the noise completely. Honestly, it's hard to point out where to get the better shielded cables online because I usually buy these used at thrift stores by digging in the electronics bins. I've seen some stores selling USB cables for as high as $30 and you can't even see the coding on the wire because it's in a package, so I suggest just digging around in thrift stores or any place that has used computer parts so you can actually read the coding on the wires.
Awesome thanks man.

The USB cable I'm using is the one that came with the interface when I bought it like 5 years ago, so any writing about coding has long faded off the thing.

As for the ground loop isolator, it looks like RCA to RCA, so I don't know where I would connect it. Are there other variations?

Re-Member

Post by Re-Member » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:22 pm

There are probably lots of variations with different sized cords, I just happen to use this one because my interface is a Tascam US-100 and I can only record in stereo using RCA wires. I have all my gear connected to a mixer, then use two "1/4 male to RCA female" cables to make a stereo connection to the ground loop isolator attached to the interface.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Ok thanks. The hum is happening even when the USB cable is disconnected so I'm thinking it must be a ground loop.

Re-Member

Post by Re-Member » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 pm

Also, to avoid any confusion, also listen to the Mini through a pair of headphones without being connected to the interface. You mentioned a "low frequency hum," which I assume is ground loop problem, but be aware that the Mini will always have this low layer of hiss mixed in the sound. If you are hearing the hiss through headphones, then it's not an interface issue. The Korg-35 filter is known to be rather noisy, which might be confused as being defective.