Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini

Post by loungedumore » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Had mine for a bit now . Love it as much as I hoped I would . Wished the signal was bit hotter though .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:34 pm

Yeah definitely not a feature exclusive to the MS-20, more of a character trait of analog filters. This is the first real piece of analog I've ever gotten to spend a lot of time with. You can only learn so much via the internet, ya know?

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:09 pm

loungedumore wrote:Had mine for a bit now . Love it as much as I hoped I would . Wished the signal was bit hotter though .
Overdrive the filter?
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:52 pm

commodorejohn wrote:I did take a couple pictures of the main board for a friend who was curious what it looked like, but I didn't do a step-by-step, mostly because it's dead simple. For the record:
  • Remove the screws from the endcaps and pop them off.
  • Remove the three screws along the top edge of the back.
  • Flip the panel assembly forward (gently, as some of the cords are a bit taut) and unscrew the bracket that props it against the back of the case.
  • Remove the four washered screws that hold the panel cover to the main board's spacer bracket/cover. Remove all the knobs. Unscrew the nut from the headphone jack (it's the only real nut on the outer panel) and remove it and the washer behind it. Lift off the panel cover and set it aside.
  • Remove the screws holding the spacer bracket to the main board. Remove the nuts from the pots that have them (VCO1/2 waveform and octave, HPF/LPF cutoff, main volume.) Gently lift off the spacer bracket. You now have full access to all the trimmers. You can safely set the main board in place on the back of the keybed, angle it against the back of the case, and operate the synth as normal without shorting anything.
Reassembly is a simple reverse order. The only minor gotcha is that the volume knob is mounted on a separate mini-board and placed in a hole in the main board, so you'll want to make sure it's all properly aligned in its hole before replacing the nut that clamps it to the spacer bracket.

The trimmers for tuning are the ones down in the lower-left corner of the board. (To the best of my experience) the top-leftmost is the keyboard CV adjust; the one below it is VCO1's coarse tuning. The top middle trimmer is VCO2's coarse tuning; the one below it is VCO1's fine tuning, and the bottom-rightmost trimmer is VCO2's fine tuning. No, it's not a very intuitive arrangement, but whaddya gonna do.
This is quite a bit of good info, thanks! I'll be archiving it in my email account, so I'm sure it will come in handy in the future if I ever need to retune it.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:58 pm

No problem :)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Does anyone have any of the electribes? The knobs on those are all kinda wobbly, but it's never really ruined the machine. Just curious if the pots are similar to those on the Ms20 mini. I may be a little ambitious Commodorejohn, but if there is a lot of space inside, could the board essentially be moved away from the panel and custom pots/jacks be put in place?

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Does anyone have any of the electribes? The knobs on those are all kinda wobbly, but it's never really ruined the machine. Just curious if the pots are similar to those on the Ms20 mini. I may be a little ambitious Commodorejohn, but if there is a lot of space inside, could the board essentially be moved away from the panel and custom pots/jacks be put in place?
Which Electribe? I have an EA-1 and an EMX. They're not as wobbly as the EA1, but they aren't as firm as the EMX. If you believe what you read on the internet, people act like the knobs snap off if you even look at them for too long. They're fine, trust me.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:38 pm

Hahah, I have an es1 which has somewhat wobbly knobs. Thanks for the input.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:25 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Does anyone have any of the electribes? The knobs on those are all kinda wobbly, but it's never really ruined the machine. Just curious if the pots are similar to those on the Ms20 mini. I may be a little ambitious Commodorejohn, but if there is a lot of space inside, could the board essentially be moved away from the panel and custom pots/jacks be put in place?
There's about a quarter-inch of space between the panel and the board, so that's what you'd have to work with; all the pots except the volume control are mounted to the board. The knobs on my Mini aren't especially loose; they're not firm, gotta-work-to-turn-it things, but they don't go all over the place easily. The only one I really have issues with is the VCO2 pitch knob, and I think that's as much in my fingers and the use of a small knob for two octaves' worth of tuning range as any instability in the pot itself.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:32 am

Just tested one today in the shop , was really enthusiastic but was extremely disappointed... the build quality is horrible and the small keyboard is ... small. Knobs are very wobbly. I think there was also an issue with the display model as it was very very noisy and had a kind of click when pressing keys so not a good sign... I went with the Novation Bass station 2 and i feel made a good choice.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:57 pm

^ The noise is normal, but the click is indeed strange. Some people over at Muffs are complaining about it as well... :|

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:16 pm

God, I love my MS-20 Mini. Sat down with it Saturday and Sunday night and just made up an entire track on the fly, and had a total blast doing it. It's a versatile piece of gear, but one that kind of suggests its own directions by its character; that, to me, is the mark of a really good synth :)

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:26 am

Great synth. I've had mine for a couple weeks now. If it was a person, it'd be a crusty old punk. It's not perfect by any means. Yes, it has audible noise, gate thuds, and purposely overdriven filters....but it is what it is. Get this, my minikorg also has clicks in it's VCA. I don't think anyone ever mentioned it before. The sh2 has gate noise with a closed filter. The Octave Kitten....don't even get me started. It's f**k brash, piercingly sharp, and has layers of contrast in it's dynamic range.

You're simply swimming upstream if you want mellow, floaty, jmj sounds.

I'll be posting my demo soon, which will include modulation with the Paia9700s.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:17 am

^ Neither my SH2 nor my vintage MS20 have such gate clicks in the VCA, regardless of settings... Nothing like what I heard from some people's demonstrations on the mini MS20...

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:19 pm

I tried one out in a store a few weeks back - I was listening out for the gate 'thud' that I've read so much about, but couldn't notice it. That was with headphones too.
The VCA white noise was noticeable, my 2 old ms20s don't have it but my ms10 does.

Either way I wouldn't call it a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination.