Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: New Korgs

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 am

Well NAMM is full of competition though, it's a big thing. It's not just buzz, some companies bring products they've already announced to show it off in the real world and go more in depth with it. And just say you're right, I think that the Minibrute would be a prime candidate for a competitors product hogging the limelight, don't you think? :)
griffin avid wrote:Makes sense that they would leak it just before to get a buzz going.

You do understand, one of the points of NAMM is to generate a buzz.
I don't see how an early buzz before the early buzz is supposed to help things.

No one is going to look back six months after NAMM and think "I'm going to buy X product because, well, I hear hints about it a few weeks before the official news pop."

The only time early leaks make sense is when a competitor has a product that's eating all the attention. Then you leak your information and people begin to compare and speculate instead of setting their sites on the first product of interest. But that's just me own ideas about it...

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:55 am

I'd love that mini MS-20. If it's real, I'll buy it.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 am

griffin avid wrote:Makes sense that they would leak it just before to get a buzz going.

You do understand, one of the points of NAMM is to generate a buzz.
I don't see how an early buzz before the early buzz is supposed to help things.

No one is going to look back six months after NAMM and think "I'm going to buy X product because, well, I hear hints about it a few weeks before the official news pop."

The only time early leaks make sense is when a competitor has a product that's eating all the attention. Then you leak your information and people begin to compare and speculate instead of setting their sites on the first product of interest. But that's just me own ideas about it.
You mustn't have been paying attention to the music instrument industry changing over the last ten years. NAMM is now much smaller and much less of a big deal compared to how it once was, the internet has replaced the big trade shows as the prime way of getting information out to dealers and consumers. Look at how tiny Summer NAMM is now, there's basically no music tech announcements. The only ones that actually have any announcements are Winter NAMM and Musicmesse, and most of the time those are preceded by online campaigns in the weeks leading up to them, trying to build buzz for one or two products while keeping a couple in reserve for the actual show. You know your example where a competitor has leaked a product that's hogging all the attention? That's what Korg has done, deliberately or otherwise.
griffin avid wrote:KORG has so many product lines, who can guess which one will get some new units.
I have my fantasies.
a) Kaoss Pro 2 (although I don't know what they could add aside from MIDI in, new sounds and a new grid. Maybe something that records tweaks and allows you to save them separately;y from the patches. Might be cool to have performance presets along with patch presets.
b) full KORG Legacy for the iPad. No-brainer and pretty obvious that's coming down the pipe.
c) Monotron XL or expanded or something based on that direction.
d) MicroSAMLER 2 - a few obvious features need to be added so that could be a big one
e) Krome Rack SE don't think another $3,000 dollar keyboard is necessary. So maybe the Kronos/Krome get smaller versions or enhanced racks.
f) An electribe controller that copies NI Maschine [but software of that nature from KORG is a stretch]
What do you think the odds are of these things you've pulled out of the air which you don't even have a firm idea of what they would be, compared to things which have popped up on a Korg distributor's website?

I guess the 'Monotron XL' that you described could have something to it; maybe a Monotron with two oscs, two filters, maybe in a more sturdy case with a keyboard? Yeah I suppose that's something Korg might put out.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:21 pm

What do you think the odds are of these things you've pulled out of the air which you don't even have a firm idea of what they would be, compared to things which have popped up on a Korg distributor's website?
Apparently, you skipped the line "I have my fantasies"

NAMM generates the buzz for the internets
If it's a leak, I still doesn't see a concrete reason why this way.
You could drop an official hint that shows a small section of the actual piece or drop some details.

We're not speculating what it does, we're speculating if it exists.
I don't know if that's the best buzz compared to an actual thread talking about something real.
I'd take the copyrighted name from Moog over a possibly photo-shopped picture.

If they did it SUPER-early, it might be a test to see how the public reacts and a check to make sure the product is a good idea and viable. - and what features can be skipped or must be included.

If anything, now that I think more, maybe it's a buzz killer if it's already watered down in my head from pages and pages discussing it. But my other point - echoed by Hybrid88 makes sense too.

Aint no one talking minibrute anymore.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

mute

Post by mute » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:08 am

Absurd. When there's been a big release at NAMM when HASN'T there been a leak before hand to stir up attention? This occurs in all industries. You are arguing a lost battle & you've really got no grasp on the subject.

OMG NAMM IS coming OMG.. I want it I need it is it FAKE IS IT REAL IS IT REAL, FAKE ZOMG.. will it BE FOR SALE or do I get just another TEASE? OMG OMG OMG OMG ZZZZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMG I NEED IT. FINALLY TIME IS GETTING NEARER ZOMG HERE'S MY WALLET TAKE IT PLlllllleeeeeeeeeeeease, I"VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR 100 YEARRS>KNEW IT WAS FOR REAL!

Yes. Leaks. Teases. Every year. All the time. Apple, Microsoft, Korg, Whatever. Been going on for centuries,.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:25 am

This post has been edited censored by a Moderator. Linking to an article is enough, you don't need to quote the entire thing as well.
I agree. You also didn't need to remove every word I posted.
:truce:

Source: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/ap ... -security/

The source link is provided to detail the site it came from, but here is a choice comment:
"Apple understands the power of first impressions.
Products are ultimately designed and sold to humans, who have desires, fears, impulses, irrational behavior. Presenting a new product to someone plays upon those traits, and packaging everything into a single, effective announcement (with the item on sale immediately or very soon) is more effective than parceling out the information over a period of time where interest wanes while the product is not yet available.

It's pretty much Marketing 101..."
Last edited by griffin avid on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:45 am

Wow. Winning way to kill a thread...

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:04 am

Arddhu wrote:Wow. Winning way to kill a thread...
:agree:
bonne chance

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:37 am

griffin avid wrote:
KORG has so many product lines, who can guess which one will get some new units.
I have my fantasies.
a) Kaoss Pro 2 (although I don't know what they could add aside from MIDI in, new sounds and a new grid. Maybe something that records tweaks and allows you to save them separately;y from the patches. Might be cool to have performance presets along with patch presets.
b) full KORG Legacy for the iPad. No-brainer and pretty obvious that's coming down the pipe.
c) Monotron XL or expanded or something based on that direction.
d) MicroSAMLER 2 - a few obvious features need to be added so that could be a big one
e) Krome Rack SE don't think another $3,000 dollar keyboard is necessary. So maybe the Kronos/Krome get smaller versions or enhanced racks.
f) An electribe controller that copies NI Maschine [but software of that nature from KORG is a stretch]

see here i thought i was the only one who considered F to be a possibility :mrgreen: something like an EMX, tubes but with MPC 4x4 pad, maybe with the 16step at the bottom :mrgreen: tubes make everything cool

while were at it they could at least release a strange midi controller with a joystick for wavestation control?

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Anyone notice that the OP poster has only posted one post? That's a real hit-and-run...Is that part of the strategery? Does the VSE forum rank high enough for Korg or its distros to pay attention? It would kind of surprise me...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:20 pm

griffin avid wrote:... It's pretty much Marketing 101..."
True, but mistakes are made and then played upon by others.

Me? I just like the idea of new stuff to play with. I even still get excited about the idea of new Telecaster models! :roll: :lol:
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:31 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: You mustn't have been paying attention to the music instrument industry changing over the last ten years. NAMM is now much smaller and much less of a big deal compared to how it once was, the internet has replaced the big trade shows as the prime way of getting information out to dealers and consumers. Look at how tiny Summer NAMM is now, there's basically no music tech announcements. The only ones that actually have any announcements are Winter NAMM and Musicmesse, and most of the time those are preceded by online campaigns in the weeks leading up to them, trying to build buzz for one or two products while keeping a couple in reserve for the actual show. You know your example where a competitor has leaked a product that's hogging all the attention? That's what Korg has done, deliberately or otherwise.
Its not just the music industry, a lot of trade shows have died and/or are dying. Look at SIGGRAPH... the convention used to take up the entire upper hall of the Staples Center , and Registration and the Job Fair were held in other halls. This year, the convention, registration and the job fair were all in the upper hall, with about 20% of it blocked off as a staging area. Instead of going to the trade show, a lot of people are satisfied with reading reports and watching videos over the internet, especially since some booths (for SIGGRAPH) set up streaming video.
Last edited by Ashe37 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:07 am

Walter Ego wrote:Anyone notice that the OP poster has only posted one post? That's a real hit-and-run...Is that part of the strategery? Does the VSE forum rank high enough for Korg or its distros to pay attention? It would kind of surprise me...
Yeah nah I thought the same, dropped the bomb and ran ha. As for VSE I dunno, it ranks high enough for ebay sellers to quote haha :lol:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:16 pm

That "mini ms20" is nothing other than the korg legacy controller. It's a hoax obviously..a troll post.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:14 pm

Bitexion wrote:That "mini ms20" is nothing other than the korg legacy controller. It's a hoax obviously..a troll post.
Well, multiple "informed" sources are claiming a) this is the real, analog, deal, and b) it will be $500. Proof will be in the pudding, obviously.
Do you even post on vse bro?