Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: New Korgs

Post by tekkentool » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:48 pm

Walter Ego wrote:So...if everyone gets an MS-20 (indie rock bands, etc), will the sound just become passe, or will the noobs not like it because it doesn't have presets like a microkorg? I've been very excited at the prospect of owning an MS-20 for less than the price of my first child, but I wonder if it just won't be as cool if everyone has access to that same sound...I do wonder if it will lose its luster.

On the other hand, the kids might just use the ESP to process drum loops and then lose interest...we'll hope that happens...
This post makes me feel sick. You by extension now make me feel sick.

Monocelot
Gear: DSI Prophet 08 PE
Roland SH-2
Korg MS-20
DSI Tempest
Vermona DRM-1 MKIII
Moog Minimoog Model D
Shruthi-1
Moog MF-104z
Jomox XBase 999

Post by Monocelot » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:27 pm

tekkentool wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:So...if everyone gets an MS-20 (indie rock bands, etc), will the sound just become passe, or will the noobs not like it because it doesn't have presets like a microkorg? I've been very excited at the prospect of owning an MS-20 for less than the price of my first child, but I wonder if it just won't be as cool if everyone has access to that same sound...I do wonder if it will lose its luster.

On the other hand, the kids might just use the ESP to process drum loops and then lose interest...we'll hope that happens...
This post makes me feel sick. You by extension now make me feel sick.
I totally agree! It's like saying: "I've been very excited at the prospect of owning a guitar, but I wonder if it just won't be as cool if everyone has access to that same sound"

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Oh here comes a tangent.
I get that line of thinking. It's the creative rabbit hole that leads to each person's ego-related viewpoint of how THEY make music. It's a personal thing for sure, but I get it.

You make sounds...you are somehow ...superior....
You play out.....superior....
You know music theory....
You play something....old....
You use something expensive or rare...
You work a certain way that YOU believe is the rightest way to work.

I get it....'I just understand that it's a personal thing and up to every individual...to figure out and write their own rules...
Those that make songs based off of sounds...
Those that build songs around ideas and concepts...
Others that reply on techniques and performance and all the greys between.

I think eventually you don't care what others do and are solely concerned with your own output.
Sometimes limiting -if the only difference between your final output and expression of your personality is the synth you use or worse, the sounds you choose to use from it.

[oops]
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Some of you guys are getting loopy lately. "What if indie rock kids get it and make it passé." ?! That could have very h**l happened already considering the MS20 isn't rare and has still been quite accessible over the years. I managed to get one & I'm apparently "an indie rock hipster wannabe". Doesn't mean I can't kick your a*s with sound design on it.
As for the patch pane being for show, I highly doubt that. Maybe they'll not actually transport signal traditional way and have a DAC for digital control ?
bonne chance

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:49 pm

You all bash walter ego, but how many turn around and say the same s**t about the 303? ;)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 pm

so no king korg then?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 pm

ps - SSS you are definitly a hipster... :lol: :lol: :lol:

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am

ninja6485 wrote:ps - SSS you are definitly a hipster... :lol: :lol: :lol:
*same reply as the time you posted I was a hipster on facebook*

I don't talk s**t on the 303.
bonne chance

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:24 am

griffin avid wrote:I think eventually you don't care what others do and are solely concerned with your own output.
Sometimes limiting -if the only difference between your final output and expression of your personality is the synth you use or worse, the sounds you choose to use from it.
Yeah, I know...

And wow...I had to laugh as I read some of the venom I unleashed. I'm not really calling anyone indie rockheads or hipsters...I was really just thinking about the phenomenon of indie bands using the presets on their MKs and it becoming kind of over-used. And about the MS-20, I just didn't want to become a cliche myself when I get one (and I surely will if this is for real, regardless of whoever else does).
tekkentool wrote:This post makes me feel sick. You by extension now make me feel sick.
Heh. Well, I'm sorry I made you feel sick. Maybe you could have a cup of tea.

Kenneth wrote:This is a totally bigoted and "holier than thou" attitude to be taking on. You should be careful what you wish for. We are supposed to be welcoming in newcomers and teaching younger generations in hopes that they too fall in love with analog synthesis, not treating them as outsiders and hoping they just get bored and move on. The analog synthesizer market is experiencing a renaissance, which is something to get excited about. Not upset.
What's the frequency, Kenneth? I am the younger generation. I'm also not upset. But I will certainly try from now on to post only exceedingly nice, positive and edifying posts and make sure to keep all of my negative emotions and ambiguous misgivings to myself, as everyone else on this forum seems to. :friends:

And now, I will point out the post is at page 14. How long will it go before NAMM? I guess I'll have to wait and find out...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:38 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:

It's true, you don't! I was drunk when I posted that, so i forget. 8-)
Walter Ego wrote:I will certainly try from now on to post only exceedingly nice, positive and edifying posts and make sure to keep all of my negative emotions and ambiguous misgivings to myself, as everyone else on this forum seems to.
Bahaha!

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:43 am

The discussion is moot. It is a semi-modular synthesizer, not a preset machine.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:20 am

StepLogik wrote:Now let's start the "it doesn't sound as good as the original" bitching!
It doesn't sound as good as the original :agree:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 am

Sometimes I wonder what the engineering teams of these long standing companies must make of things. I assume that if they have indeed been working since the mid-70s, most of their careers have been motivated by a desire to incorporate cutting edge technology and invent that next big thing (ok in Korg's case I know a few people that would say this sentiment has manifested itself in 7000 iterations of the same VA/Rompler workstation - but that's neither here on there :roll: ).

Now after almost four decades, they're being asked to remake something they did in the seventies; I'm not saying it's a bad thing - I love old analog - I just like the thought of it.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:41 am

still expecting some caveat to this whole thing that ruins it, to be honest.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:03 am

ninja6485 wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:

It's true, you don't! I was drunk when I posted that, so i forget. 8-)
I was probably drunk too ! Said something along the lines of "says the other guy with a bunch of vintage synths who hangs out in Fishtown with other guys who play synths"... Even if the place is my apartment :lol: :lol:
bonne chance