Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: New Korgs

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:32 am

Bah! I want my EMX/Monotribe hybrid ...

Out of all you youngsters, only Meatball is old enough to be A. Hip and B. know how different this new one sounds from the old ones when the old ones were new. Well ... besides me ...

And now I need a nap ...
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:36 am

Kidney05 wrote:still expecting some caveat to this whole thing that ruins it, to be honest.
I'm definitely holding my breath, as so many rumors turn out to be just that.

Still...(and this is what this whole thread is about)...

You know they have the technology to do it--and so many people have been just itching to know if there was a real reason for the monotron beyond just that Korg could sell a boatload of them...it would make sense. But it would be unprecedented. When has a mass producer re-released an obscure classic in the synth world (not counting Roland's attempts to cash in on their classic synth reputations)? But, if any company was going to do it, I think it would be Korg--they have taken more chances than the other major Japanese synthmakers.

We'll find out real soon.

What caveat would ruin it, though? Inhumane work conditions at the factory? Or you mean something in the features? Like if it's digital? Why would it be digital? That would be a real head-scratcher to me. They have the hardware and the technology to do it. If they don't do it analog, someone's going to.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:22 am

the suspense is killing me

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 pm

PROOF?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Considering the lead time on magazines, it is considerably more likely.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:11 pm

more info on the MS-20:

- fully analogue

- 15 % smaller than the original (but larger than the Legacy-Edition-controller)

- MIDI in + USB MIDI

- specially designed keyboard

- mainboard almost identical to original MS-20 mainboard

- no information about filter-variant yet (presumably modified Korg35-Chip)

- project lead by the developers of the original MS-20

- comes with original user manual and patch sheets

- price around € 600 (incl. VAT)

- availability: presumably February

KingKorg:

- analogue modelling-synth

- XMT-modelling sound-engine

- max. three parallel oscillator-algorithms

- real tube circuit effect

- vocoder

- CV/Gate output

- 7 kg

- no price and/or availability yet

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:12 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Bah! I want my EMX/Monotribe hybrid ...
Have you considered the Elektron Analog 4?

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Have you considered the Elektron Analog 4?
Yes and no.

I really should have stuck with my DR-110 and MicroPreset, eh? :lol:
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

mute

Post by mute » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:26 pm

tekkentool wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:So...if everyone gets an MS-20 (indie rock bands, etc), will the sound just become passe, or will the noobs not like it because it doesn't have presets like a microkorg? I've been very excited at the prospect of owning an MS-20 for less than the price of my first child, but I wonder if it just won't be as cool if everyone has access to that same sound...I do wonder if it will lose its luster.

On the other hand, the kids might just use the ESP to process drum loops and then lose interest...we'll hope that happens...
This post makes me feel sick. You by extension now make me feel sick.
Also.. Walter.. you know the MS-20 was already one of the best selling synths of all time right? There's a reason there are so many used ones out there despite it being 30 years later. Popularity doesn't ruin synths .. that's just crazy talk.

I've lusted after a ms-20 for 15-20 years but could never justify having the money for it or feel good enough about risky a Japanese purchase. I'm buying this thing as soon as humanly possible.
elmosexwhistle wrote:PROOF?
Nice.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Kidney05 wrote:still expecting some caveat to this whole thing that ruins it, to be honest.
No MIDI, V/hz scaling?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Mag article says MIDI. I can discern that much even without being able to read German.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:49 pm

wow I can't believe my eyes. it's actually happening.

implant

Post by implant » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:55 pm

My interest in buying the vintage stuff is all but gone with all the great new synths available.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:32 pm

elmosexwhistle wrote:PROOF?

Where did these come from? Very intriguing.
mute wrote:Also.. Walter.. you know the MS-20 was already one of the best selling synths of all time right? There's a reason there are so many used ones out there despite it being 30 years later. Popularity doesn't ruin synths .. that's just crazy talk.

I've lusted after a ms-20 for 15-20 years but could never justify having the money for it or feel good enough about risky a Japanese purchase. I'm buying this thing as soon as humanly possible.
Oy...I'm in the same boat. I don't think it would ruin the synth...I just don't want to be a cliche...As I said, I'll be one of the first in line. I just have this kind of misgiving...it's like the first time I heard Rammstein on the radio and that little cranky person in my head said, "No, that's mine...you can't have that! I bought that CD when it was ten bucks at the record store and you have to pay eighteen for it. Sucker!" Well, this forum is where the cranky, selfish person in my head gets to talk. (I'm not really a fan of Rammstein anymore...)

Seriously, I will try to word my opinions more nicely...

[Spontaneous VSEF appreciation rant: This forum has actually been immensely helpful to me over the past year. This place is at its best when members answer technical questions for noobs like me...and they have been very helpful. Twenty years ago, it would have been a different story. There are a lot of helpful and smart people who chime in on this forum. But I will also say that even many technical question threads often devolve into technical one-upmanship and flame-throwing. A thread like this one, which is 99.99999999999999999999999999999% speculation is just entertaining to me, but I know I'm part of the craziness leading up to the possible re-release of a classic instrument. Still, this is a fun place to keep abreast of what's happening in the electronic music world and get great tips and get obscure questions answered.]
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:54 pm

Looks like the KingKorg is a VA, which is a bit of a bummer. Weirdly, it has CV/Gate outputs...