Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: New Korgs

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:56 pm

silikon wrote:I still say that playing a KingKorg on-stage or elsewhere ought to get you punched directly in the throat, just because of the supposed graphic and name; but I'm just bitter about the whole secretive nature of this whole endeavour.
Maybe this whole MS-20 re-release is to atone for the stupidity of the name and logo for the KingKorg....it may even be a good synth...but really, it's got to be one of the worst names conceivable.

I think I actually had a dream about the MS-20 last night (don't judge me...).
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Here's a question...which is a bigger deal: the release of the Mini MS-20 or the release of the Minimoog Voyager a decade ago?
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:08 pm

This is a bigger deal for me and for most consumers. At 600 euros, that makes the mini ms-20 accessible to a h**l of a lot more people than the 3000-3500 moog voyager. Also, the voyager is a different synth than the minimoog. I find the mini ms-20 interesting because this is the first time that a company has done a straight up re-issue of a vintage synth that's going to be very close to the original.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:11 pm

dustinh wrote:This is a bigger deal for me and for most consumers. At 600 euros, that makes the mini ms-20 accessible to a h**l of a lot more people than the 3000-3500 moog voyager. Also, the voyager is a different synth than the minimoog. I find the mini ms-20 interesting because this is the first time that a company has done a straight up re-issue of a vintage synth that's going to be very close to the original.
The MS-20 is opening a whole new market. The minimoog is still only viable for the synth 1%

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Kidney05 wrote:
dustinh wrote:This is a bigger deal for me and for most consumers. At 600 euros, that makes the mini ms-20 accessible to a h**l of a lot more people than the 3000-3500 moog voyager. Also, the voyager is a different synth than the minimoog. I find the mini ms-20 interesting because this is the first time that a company has done a straight up re-issue of a vintage synth that's going to be very close to the original.
The MS-20 is opening a whole new market. The minimoog is still only viable for the synth 1%

Yeah...I've never been in the market for a Voyager, as much as I would love one...but I am DEFINITELY in the market for an MS-20.
Walter Ego

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
I think I actually had a dream about the MS-20 last night (don't judge me...).
I did too! I had borrowed it to take pics of from an uncle I didn't actually know very well and had no idea he had it. Anyway, we get a call that he passed away and we was all sad, then the realisation hit me that I could probably keep the synth. I got sooo excited inside but the guilt was a struggle ha.
Also a friend who knows nothing of synths comes up to me and says do you want to buy this thing off me. It was a weird homemade modular piece with 4 famous filters (from the actual synths) built in to it. A moog from model D, A Steiner from a Synthacon, a Roland from a SH5 and a ... Struthi! Ha I guess the choice could have been even weirder being as it was a dream.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Nope. Tom Oberheim redid the SEM a while ago.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:28 pm

pflosi wrote:On the monotribe probably yeah, but on the MS20 (also see my post above)??? Still that would be strange wording even for the monotribe if it was just stepping through the sequencer IMO...
Hey, maybe an OS update will allow the Sync In to take CV/Gate.

Actually that could explain why they include a stereo mini-jack > mini-jack cable with the M/Tribe. What is that about?

While we're dreaming... ;)
Last edited by masstronaut on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:35 pm

masstronaut wrote:
pflosi wrote:On the monotribe probably yeah, but on the MS20 (also see my post above)??? Still that would be strange wording even for the monotribe if it was just stepping through the sequencer IMO...
Hey, maybe an OS update will allow the Sync In to take CV/Gate.

Actually that could explain why they include a stereo mini-jack > mini-jack cable with the M/Tribe. What's is about?

While we're dreaming... ;)
That is for syncing monotribes.

SKINNYPIG

Post by SKINNYPIG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 pm

nvbrkr wrote:
Nope. Tom Oberheim redid the SEM a while ago.
There was also the Welsh Minimoog back in the 1990s

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:38 pm

For all the potential buyers of the new MS-20, with its great price, there will be some, I think, who will be put off by the lack of preset memory.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:43 pm

Yeah but you know what they can go and do.

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:59 pm

I'm no analog purist, and there are a few VAs I've been interested in having a look at.

I played the Minibrute and was considering it, but as of now the synth for which I have the biggest GAS is the MS20. I've wanted one for years but the price second hand has been too prohibitive. There's someone in Melbourne who pops up trying to sell his - he started at $3000, and the last time he advertised he was down to $2250 but I think he didn't sell it. He may want to move on it quickly and drop his price because I think his head is in the clouds.

There was a MS20C cntroller for sale which I vaguely considered, but no more as the real deal is on my shopping list along with Ableton Push and Live 9. Think I'll grab the MS20 as soon as it's available.

Hurry up Korg!

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 pm

I couldn't care less about the lack of presets.

I'm stoked it has Midi over USB. I haven't checked, but I hope there's 5 pin midi as well.

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm

Needless to say, the mini MS-20 is much more appealing than the "Maxitribe" shoop. Mini-keys are still preferable to 25 keys.
slippast on GS wrote:My worry is that even with a simple patch panel interface it might be a gateway drug into modular. :-x
This is my new fear with the MS-20.
Moog Matriarch
Oberheim OB-8/DSX/DMX
Sequential Prophet 2002/Prophet-5 rev. 4
Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80
Roland JP-8/SH-101/RS-09/Kiwi-30
Korg MS-20 Kit/ARP Odyssey FSQ
Yamaha SY99/DX100
Waldorf Microwave 1
Simmons SDSV
Elektron Analog RYTM