Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Re: New Korgs

Post by Broadwave » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:For all the potential buyers of the new MS-20, with its great price, there will be some, I think, who will be put off by the lack of preset memory.
Pro One, ARP Odyssey, 2600, Axxe, Minimoog, Multimoog, MS20, MS10 (original) etc. none of them have patch memory, but people pay still way over the top for them... memory's not an issue.

But hopefully this will bring things back down to earth.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Post by Broadwave » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Infrasound wrote:I couldn't care less about the lack of presets.

I'm stoked it has Midi over USB. I haven't checked, but I hope there's 5 pin midi as well.
Just checked some piccies... Yes, there's a 5 pin MIDI socket there ;)

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:24 pm

Kronik wrote:
Ned Bouhalassa wrote:For all the potential buyers of the new MS-20, with its great price, there will be some, I think, who will be put off by the lack of preset memory.
Pro One, ARP Odyssey, 2600, Axxe, Minimoog, Multimoog, MS20, MS10 (original) etc. none of them have patch memory, but people pay still way over the top for them... memory's not an issue.

But hopefully this will bring things back down to earth.
IMHO, your list is more for power users like many of us than for the kind of buyer that would not normally spend a lot of money on a synth. I'm talking about newbies.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:38 pm

If nothing else I imagine having patch storage would add quite a bit to the cost, which obviously would also affect how it was received. Doesn't seem to have done Arturia much harm sales wise though, and it just makes for a different kind of instrument. If it's for you, great. If not, there's plenty of choice out there.

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Damn, only Midi in.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:42 pm

Infrasound wrote:Damn, only Midi in.
My thought too. Kinda weird.
bonne chance

xanadu97
Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:43 pm

Does anyone know what the price will be? If it's not too expensive, I'll have 2 less guitars and a new MS-20 8-)
The original didn't have presets, so why would a reissue?

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 pm

it was 600 euro earlier in this thread.

xanadu97
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 pm

space6oy wrote:it was 600 euro earlier in this thread.
That's $800! I thought I read somewhere that it was going to be $500?

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:57 pm

xanadu97 wrote:
i haven't bothered keeping up on all the gossip / reading this entire thread but don't remember hearing that anywhere...

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 pm

The real gateway drug is stabs posting pictures like this.
Stab Frenzy wrote: Image
:evil:

xanadu97
Monotron

Post by xanadu97 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 pm

space6oy wrote:
xanadu97 wrote:
i haven't bothered keeping up on all the gossip / reading this entire thread but don't remember hearing that anywhere...
I don't remember where I saw it, maybe it was Synthtopia.

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Kidney05 wrote:
dustinh wrote:This is a bigger deal for me and for most consumers. At 600 euros, that makes the mini ms-20 accessible to a h**l of a lot more people than the 3000-3500 moog voyager. Also, the voyager is a different synth than the minimoog. I find the mini ms-20 interesting because this is the first time that a company has done a straight up re-issue of a vintage synth that's going to be very close to the original.
The MS-20 is opening a whole new market. The minimoog is still only viable for the synth 1%
+1

even at $800, this could very well be a game changer as far as what most medium-range buyers would purchase. just think of all the popular musicians you see on stage and in videos who currently sport MicroKorgs. this would be way cooler not just to see on stage, but also for bedroom musicians who don't even perform live. it's a win/win for everyone, mainly because of more knobs and better interface (than the MicroKorg at least). sure it's not a 4-voice poly, but I think it can still be a MicroKorg killer. I really hope this becomes a big success so Korg can hopefully produce more analog synths in the future.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 pm

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:Sure it's not a 4-voice poly, but I think it can still be a MicroKorg killer. I really hope this becomes a big success so Korg can hopefully produce more analog synths in the future.
But if it's a MicroKorg killer* then surely there won't be any net increase in Korg's profits?

;)

* joking of course, I don't think it really much makes sense to talk about it in those terms anyway.
Last edited by masstronaut on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:34 pm

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:sure it's not a 4-voice poly, but I think it can still be a MicroKorg killer.
If that happens, I will have my cake and eat it to...get a new MS-20 AND snatch up the discarded MKs...damn useful instruments.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)