Korg MS-20 Mini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Arddhu

Re: Korg Mini MS-20

Post by Arddhu » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:00 am

_seph wrote: anyway, one thing I'm curious about... it has a USB port but the website states Only note messages (velocity is not used) can be transmitted and received. and makes no mention of whether the knobs send MIDI data, so I assume this cannot be used like the Legacy MS-20ic.. not that I imagine many would prefer the iMS-20 sound over it, but that still seems odd since it is a repurposed Legacy controller.
You obviously have a lot of this thread to read through:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=70184

Do we really need this thread? I thought it's all covered in the other one.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: New Korgs

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 am

No mini keys ?!?! K. My MS20 CAN go. Maybe I won't be evicted over my stubbornness not to sell. Also wtf is this Kraft music site ?! Looks shady.
bonne chance

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 am

Merge -->
bonne chance

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 am

volumetrik wrote:
DesolationBlvd wrote:$600! Cheaper than I would have imagined. I'm down to my last excuse not to get this...(Mini-keys, combined with the fact that Korg's cheaper keybeds are pretty sad)
They are not mini keys FFS!!!
from Korg's website

Keyboard:
C - C 37-notes (3 octaves), mini keyboard designed specifically for the MS-20 mini

the pics make the keys look somewhat larger than those on my MS-20ic...

interesting.. okay the new MS-20 mini is 86% scale to the MS-20, the MS-20ic was 84% scale ...so it actually is a bit larger. ...this makes the choice of mini keys even more odd as it involved all new design/parts instead of simply using the Legacy controller, wtf

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:23 am

Arddhu wrote:
_seph wrote: anyway, one thing I'm curious about... it has a USB port but the website states Only note messages (velocity is not used) can be transmitted and received. and makes no mention of whether the knobs send MIDI data, so I assume this cannot be used like the Legacy MS-20ic.. not that I imagine many would prefer the iMS-20 sound over it, but that still seems odd since it is a repurposed Legacy controller.
You obviously have a lot of this thread to read through:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=70184

Do we really need this thread? I thought it's all covered in the other one.
well, having originally read the first handful of pages and then checking out new posts in the last five before posting this... I didn't see any confirmation on whether its knobs transmitted MIDI and if it would work with the MS-20 software as the Legacy controller does. I'm doubtful that the 20 or so pages in the middle can answer that as they're mostly just speculating GAS diarrhea and it was just officially announced today. thanks though.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:37 am

Excellent news both regarding the mini scale and street price. KORG has not disappointed me since I picked up my Polysix in 1984!

That stated, I really, very, very much wanted to acquire the ARTURIA Minibrute, but the perpetual delays and postponements have compelled me to drop my name from that waiting list and has changed my focus to perhaps a MOOG Sub Phatty or, yes, most likely yes, this great new KORG.

Too bad ARTURIA could not live up to the promise of just one calendar year ago. My little studio has room only for one analog mono and the winner will be the first one to deliver an instrument to my address, a race of sales that KORG always seems to win.

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:10 am

this is driving me crazy always wanted a ms20 and now a brand new one for a fraction of the cost of the original one. the keys don't even look that mini. can't wait!

gordonmerrick
Gear: Telharmonium, Novachord, Clavivox, Thereminocello

Post by gordonmerrick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:52 am

I have a perfectly lovely old MS20 that I use regularly, but I still find myself REALLY wanting to preorder this.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:04 am

ronP wrote:.

Excellent news both regarding the mini scale and street price. KORG has not disappointed me since I picked up my Polysix in 1984!

That stated, I really, very, very much wanted to acquire the ARTURIA Minibrute, but the perpetual delays and postponements have compelled me to drop my name from that waiting list and has changed my focus to perhaps a MOOG Sub Phatty or, yes, most likely yes, this great new KORG.

Too bad ARTURIA could not live up to the promise of just one calendar year ago. My little studio has room only for one analog mono and the winner will be the first one to deliver an instrument to my address, a race of sales that KORG always seems to win.

There are tons of in-stock Minibrutes out there.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Minibrute
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:29 am

It could just be that. USB for external sequencing. It would help the coffee shop musicians hook it up to their laptops without breakout audio interfaces.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:50 am

_seph wrote:well, having originally read the first handful of pages and then checking out new posts in the last five before posting this... I didn't see any confirmation on whether its knobs transmitted MIDI and if it would work with the MS-20 software as the Legacy controller does. I'm doubtful that the 20 or so pages in the middle can answer that as they're mostly just speculating GAS diarrhea and it was just officially announced today. thanks though.
It's all analogue, there's not knob information sent or received, it's just like the original. It can't be used to control any software except for note on/off.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:57 am

Nice keyboard isn't it?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:08 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:Merge -->
Done.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:34 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
_seph wrote:well, having originally read the first handful of pages and then checking out new posts in the last five before posting this... I didn't see any confirmation on whether its knobs transmitted MIDI and if it would work with the MS-20 software as the Legacy controller does. I'm doubtful that the 20 or so pages in the middle can answer that as they're mostly just speculating GAS diarrhea and it was just officially announced today. thanks though.
It's all analogue, there's not knob information sent or received, it's just like the original. It can't be used to control any software except for note on/off.
Yep, it's a machine to be played and programmed on the spot. I don't see the point of using it as controller when you've got the goods right there!

mute

Post by mute » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:36 am

my finger has been hovering above the pre order button now for about an hour... April is a long time to wait. :P